MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who else is going to Horizons ?! :) joy1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-12-2010 09:39 PM
Horizons thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-16-2010 10:24 PM
Horizons Ethansaucier First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-14-2009 11:35 AM
Horizons PilotMal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-17-2009 04:57 AM
Horizons Osterlej First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-05-2008 05:17 PM

Should I Go To Horizons?

Old 07-08-2010 at 09:23 PM   #1
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Should I Go To Horizons?
It seems like they're trying to get your money before you even go off to school... with the MacPass and now this Horizons event. I know they're not mandatory and it's all for helping us first years...but they're just so pricey!

So if you guys have any experiences with Horizons, please share! What did you do there? Was it worth it? Etc.

I would go without any second thoughts if my budget allowed me...sadly, that's not the case. Please give me your feedback! [:

Thanks~!
Old 07-08-2010 at 09:25 PM   #2
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

what is horizon?
why are there so many events and how are you guys finding out about this?
Old 07-08-2010 at 09:28 PM   #3
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I just got a letter in the mail.
It's planned by the McMaster Student Union. It's the Horizons Future Student Leaders Conference and it goes from Aug 13-15th. It's 3 days and 2 nights and you do stuff there and live in one of the rez...costs $185 (early bird price) this year.
Old 07-08-2010 at 09:46 PM   #4
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

I didnt go to horizons, and didnt meet anyone who said they did. I dont feel i missed out. I think its for "making friends early" and just getting a jumpstart, but theres lots of things to do welcome week and youll meet tons of people in res anyway. I would say get the Macpass, and if you have extra money floating around that you dont care about, go to horizons

Desda says thanks to Melanieee for this post.
Old 07-08-2010 at 10:25 PM   #5
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Horizons was definitely one of my favourite experiences at McMaster. It's not just a way to meet people before Welcome Week, but a way to get involved right away during your time at McMaster. The Conference sessions help you develop stronger leadership skills while showing you the different opportunities you have to get involved at Mac. You get to meet and become close with not only other incoming first year students, but upper year McMaster students, who at least for me acted as mentors for the rest of my time at Mac. Melanie is right - you aren't going to lose anything by not coming, but I definitely think there is a lot to gain.

conster, Melanieee, sharkpups like this.
Old 07-08-2010 at 11:30 PM   #6
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

if you need votes down the line for student gov positions join maroons and horizons and thta whole game

McIntyre says thanks to andrew22 for this post.
Old 07-09-2010 at 12:28 AM   #7
PinkSapphire

Liked: 4 Times

HORIZONS! HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

1. Not only do you get the leadership training, you get to meet people from your graduating class, and build a social network already even prior classes! It's awesome because by the time you start classes, you already feel confident by the resources and the encouragement and the leadership training you've attained in this WONDERFUL EVENT! Did I mention you get to meet upper years? They DEFINITELY help show YOU around!

2. Entertaining! I realllyyy didn't want to go to this! Confession? I cried because I really didn't want to (and also because it meant the start of me leaving home)! But my mom suggested I go, and the obedient child I was, I went, and had A FREAKING AWESOME TIME! You have to understand, I'm really your typical shy, typical, I don't want to do anything girl, but it takes going above your comfort zone and popping that bubble, right? I honestly learned a lot about myself in those four days, than I have in my whole high school career. It also got my head focused and concentrated in what I wanted to do, and how to go about it from the entertaining speeches!

3. It's really like kindergarten all over again! You meet new people, and then you become BEST FRIENDS! I met a girl in my program during Horizons, and we're still AWESOME friends till now!

4. You get to live it up at MAC, even BEFORE anyone would/could! That right there is pretty epic! It's not like everyday you get to be the first ones in your batch to live it up before any one could! You get to do fun-filled events around campus! MUSC, Quarters, lecture halls, to name a few!

5. IT'S SOOOOOO FUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNN !!

The money you pay.. Trust me, you get more from it!
Hope that helped, and honestly, hope you go! It's a really good experience!

Biochem47 says thanks to PinkSapphire for this post.

Old 07-09-2010 at 12:33 AM   #8
PinkSapphire

Yes you do get a jumpstart, yes it does get you more geared to the university experience, yes it does get you pumped up about Mac, yes it does show you the many leadeship opportunities on campus.

So much to gain (and that's just to name a few), just as McIntyre and Melanieee have already mentioned!
Old 07-09-2010 at 06:29 AM   #9
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

horizonz = waste of money

McIntyre = trying to rip u off

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 07-09-2010 at 02:36 PM   #10
PinkSapphire

Noor, did you go?
Old 07-09-2010 at 05:51 PM   #11
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSapphire View Post
HORIZONS! HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

1. Not only do you get the leadership training, you get to meet people from your graduating class, and build a social network already even prior classes! It's awesome because by the time you start classes, you already feel confident by the resources and the encouragement and the leadership training you've attained in this WONDERFUL EVENT! Did I mention you get to meet upper years? They DEFINITELY help show YOU around!

2. Entertaining! I realllyyy didn't want to go to this! Confession? I cried because I really didn't want to (and also because it meant the start of me leaving home)! But my mom suggested I go, and the obedient child I was, I went, and had A FREAKING AWESOME TIME! You have to understand, I'm really your typical shy, typical, I don't want to do anything girl, but it takes going above your comfort zone and popping that bubble, right? I honestly learned a lot about myself in those four days, than I have in my whole high school career. It also got my head focused and concentrated in what I wanted to do, and how to go about it from the entertaining speeches!

3. It's really like kindergarten all over again! You meet new people, and then you become BEST FRIENDS! I met a girl in my program during Horizons, and we're still AWESOME friends till now!

4. You get to live it up at MAC, even BEFORE anyone would/could! That right there is pretty epic! It's not like everyday you get to be the first ones in your batch to live it up before any one could! You get to do fun-filled events around campus! MUSC, Quarters, lecture halls, to name a few!

5. IT'S SOOOOOO FUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNN !!

The money you pay.. Trust me, you get more from it!
Hope that helped, and honestly, hope you go! It's a really good experience!

I think we are the same person lol. Espacially for Number 2...that's EXACTLY how I felt, and what happened with me ahaha.

Anyway, yea I agree, horizons is deff worth it, and sooo much fun. It really helped calm my worries about coming to mac, and I think gave me a bit of a jump start, not to mention confidence, about getting involved at mac
Old 07-09-2010 at 10:06 PM   #12
eSsBee

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I think I'm going to go.I attended the orientation a few weeks ago and I made a few friends which made everything a little less scarier..I also need to learn my way around the campus..
So why not go
Old 07-09-2010 at 10:21 PM   #13
PinkSapphire

Yay! That's great Sukhpreet! You'll have a fantastic time!
Guaranteed!
Old 07-12-2010 at 05:00 AM   #14
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Does anyone know how many people they take?
Old 07-12-2010 at 08:28 AM   #15
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
Does anyone know how many people they take?
Last year there were about 120 delegates, with 8 to 9 in each group. The conference is definitely built for a personal/intimate setting so that each delegate is able to maximize their experience during the entire weekend. Not to say that we are exclusive by any means - the number definitely can change.

Biochem47 says thanks to myoozik for this post.