MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who else is going to Horizons ?! :) joy1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-12-2010 09:39 PM
Horizons thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-16-2010 10:24 PM
Horizons Ethansaucier First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-14-2009 11:35 AM
Horizons PilotMal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-17-2009 04:57 AM
Horizons Osterlej First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-05-2008 05:17 PM

Should I Go To Horizons?

Old 07-16-2010 at 08:44 AM   #16
Shanice

Liked: 0 Times

ya, I'm going. whats there to lose?? Any prep before making a huge change really couldn't hurt. and does anyone know the residence they put you in?
Old 07-16-2010 at 09:15 AM   #17
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

The school will always send you things - a lot of the time, irrelevent to your interests. If you want to save some cash, only go for the things that really strike a chord and make you want to go. For example, in your other thread with the mac Pass - it's a question of whether you want to attend some of the events (like bed races = which, tbh isn't all that exciting). I know there was a comedy night the year before, and that was free so there's definitely things to be had even if you don't spend.

If you feel uncomfortable about spending money on things you aren't sure of - the answer is simple; don't! Missing out on one thing won't be the end of the world. You've got what, a good 4 years ahead of you at least (post-grad studies etc. aside), and there will be plenty of stuff to get into first year let alone in your later years.
Old 07-16-2010 at 10:00 AM   #18
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Horizons and a whole bunch of other events have been talked about on Macinsiders and are posted on our homepage... gotta keep checking back daily! Do a search for "Horizons" to find more.

If I had to choose between buying a macpass and going to horizions, I would go to Horizons. As a first-year, Horizons was a HUGE advantage for me and made me feel so much more comfortable going to Mac in September. It is a life-changing experience, at least it was for me. It got me out of my shell and involved on campus, I met some really influential people who were running large groups on campus (such as the school newspaper, etc) and living in rez for a few days was really fun too. The conference has loads of activities to build your leadership skills, you're split into small groups and you learn about the people in your group and do everything together... getting to know them really well. When you come to Mac in September you'll already know dozens of people and have a lot of friends from Horizons to hang out with.

Some of the things you do at Horizons Leadership Conference:
- learn all the Mac cheers
- games and activities
- team building
- meet staff on campus that run many groups and clubs
- stay in a residence for a few days and experience what living in rez is like
- breakfast, lunches, dinners
- a semi-formal type dance
- team games outside
- talent show
- wayyyyy more

As a Horizons delegate in my first year, and later going on to be staff and a conference leader of Horizons, I highly recommend it!
Old 07-16-2010 at 10:22 AM   #19
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

I was a leader for Horizons last year and will be one again this year. It is a good experience to have under your belt, it means you have to dish over some $$ but its worth it. You meet other first years who are in the same position as you, scared, nervous, confused. You are exposed to a great staff team who will make the conference fun and enjoyable. They teach you tricks during lectures, studying habits, and its a great chance for you to ask all those questions that you have. You get to crash in residence and get that feel, and you get to see the businesses around Mac that you will be exposed to. Like Chad said you also have fun events like a dance, talent show and all that. Some people may not need it but that's their choice. I didn't attend in my first year, but I wish I did. Last year as a leader, I had just as much as my delegates had. One of the best parts about being a Horizons delegate is knowing that there is someone who will always know you around campus and be a supporting hand. I can't count the times I had my delegates approach me this year to help them on stuff at Mac. Plus its great because you will meet a bunch of other delegates who you probably would have never met. I say go for it!!
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:32 AM   #20
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

View photos on their facebook page here:
http://www.facebook.com/photo_search...77393&view=all

Old 07-16-2010 at 01:56 PM   #21
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanice View Post
ya, I'm going. whats there to lose?? Any prep before making a huge change really couldn't hurt. and does anyone know the residence they put you in?
You stay in Hedden Hall in a double room with a roommate of the same gender.

Hope that helps!

Shanice says thanks to myoozik for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 02:46 PM   #22
dkirchin

I'm very worried about making new friends, I'm afraid I won't make any, so would you say that once school started it was easier because you had previously met all these people at the camp?
Old 07-16-2010 at 03:05 PM   #23
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

I think it would be easier to make friends, since one of the things Horizons will do, is make you feel more comfortable around the university, and take you out of your comfort zone. You'll learn how to approach people, and thus it will help you make new friends when you move to mac. You might not live with some of the delegates that you meet, but you will know that they are on campus, so you can can call them up and hang out
Old 08-09-2010 at 12:31 PM   #24
ley5

Hey so I'm going to Horizons this year, and I got the confirmation email, but I still havn't received any info on what to bring and when to go, etc. I was supposed to get an email by the first week of august explaining all the details. Has anyone else that's going gotten such an email??
and ya I am sooo pumped for this weekend!!
Old 08-09-2010 at 12:34 PM   #25
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

They sent it out this morning. Try your junk mail folder?

Or send them at e-mail at [email protected] .ca
Old 08-09-2010 at 12:45 PM   #26
ley5

Nope nothing yet...
I sent them an email this morning so hopefully I'll get one soon!
Old 08-09-2010 at 03:35 PM   #27
NatalyaOtaku

Liked: 5 Times

I'm so excited! I'm going to Horizons too, after being convinced by a few people lol
Can't wait! See you guys there
Old 08-09-2010
paperplanes
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:38 PM   #28
Shanice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ley5 View Post
Nope nothing yet...
I sent them an email this morning so hopefully I'll get one soon!
I had the same problem too, if you got theHorizons 2010 Conference Information email, ‏the attachment is actually a link in the email. If you read to the bottom, you'll see the Delegate Information Package.pdf file.

Hope it helps

-S.B