MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Should we remove MSAF?
Yes. We should start a petition to remove MSAF. 24 15.58%
No. Keep MSAF the way it is. 130 84.42%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gmail to hotmail, remove? merc67 General Discussion 0 01-12-2013 06:25 PM
RootKit Virus... How do I remove it? L_Blankfein General Discussion 20 12-14-2012 06:36 PM
Remove course from Avenue Rob Mac Academics 6 01-13-2012 07:50 PM
Can we remove courses from ELM? Kathy2 Academics 5 01-13-2010 08:35 PM
Remove Courses on ELM Pay919 General Discussion 3 09-19-2009 08:46 PM

Should we petition to remove MSAF?

Old 03-18-2013 at 07:02 PM   #1
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating22 / 4Add positive rank
The MI community seriously dislikes this post by AvacadoLover
It may contain offensive material. Click here to view it anyways.
Old 03-18-2013 at 07:11 PM   #2
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Lol no wtf MSAF is like the best part of mcmaster

Afsha-noon, Afzal, fusionorchid, icecubz, jim1, MPEn, reem767, yj11, ZSimon all say thanks to Freija for this post.

Old 03-18-2013 at 07:11 PM   #3
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

No.

12no's...
Old 03-18-2013 at 07:17 PM   #4
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
McMaster's respectability for academic is in grave danger. Students are blatantly abusing the MSAF system. This with the recent GPA dropped for Honor Economic has me worry.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Should we petition to have MSAF system re-evaluated and perhaps removed? It would be really unfortunate if years from now, people will be making fun of McMaster like they make fun of Ryerson or York.
I don't think we should. It's nice that McMaster can cut some students slack, I felt my high school teachers were way more strict about missing tests even if things like family emergencies or other things happen. It's nice not having to worry about documentation if god forbid, something happened, it's the last thing you'd want to be thinking about - how do I prove that I actually had a family emergency/illness.

To the people that abuse it, it just makes their exam worth more, I find that to be very risky, chances are their mark will be lower on the exam, unless they just go off and study like crazy for the exam.

Andrew A, Zebedee like this.
Old 03-18-2013 at 07:19 PM   #5
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

I think they should only on the basis of its volatility. They're really doing you no favours by allowing it to exist as you start to make decisions with it in mind. I've begun making sure I use it at the beginning of a term on something small so I don't even consider it later on.
Old 03-18-2013 at 07:21 PM   #6
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
This with the recent GPA dropped for Honor Economic has me worry.
RIP grammar and the english language.

the irony kills me.. my sides

thanks for the laughs OP

Old 03-18-2013 at 07:29 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by naval23 View Post
I don't think we should. It's nice that McMaster can cut some students slack, I felt my high school teachers were way more strict about missing tests even if things like family emergencies or other things happen. It's nice not having to worry about documentation if god forbid, something happened, it's the last thing you'd want to be thinking about - how do I prove that I actually had a family emergency/illness.

To the people that abuse it, it just makes their exam worth more, I find that to be very risky, chances are their mark will be lower on the exam, unless they just go off and study like crazy for the exam.
This right here.
Old 03-18-2013 at 07:46 PM   #8
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

If a system exists, people will find a way to abuse it. The current system has the advantage that for people who do have problems have a hassle-free way to miss a test or assignment instead of dealing with annoying administrative people. The current system also doesn't really make the university a laughing stock either, people who MSAF tests just to skip them on average still doing horribly/failing anyway.
Old 03-18-2013 at 07:46 PM   #9
Mark Gich

Liked: 18 Times

I don't think it should matter how other students use it. It doesn't help you out in any way.

Ponyo, Zebedee like this.
Old 03-18-2013 at 08:02 PM   #10
kimjsi

Liked: 5 Times

sounds like more work for Dr. Ng
Old 03-18-2013 at 08:02 PM   #11
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Deferring a test will just make it worse. having a 70% exam final is so pressuring and rough. If they can deal with it great. Honestly why would you remove a win win for McMaster. Students have one chance for a) "strategic studying" b) Abstaining it for a legit reason combined with the school admins not having to personally deal with it the first time.

Tl;dr 1st time is good for both students and admins.

Andrew A, JamesMonroe like this.
Old 03-18-2013 at 09:01 PM   #12
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

You're only given one per semester plus it could even come back and make things even worse overall so I don't think it's an issue. If you think it's bad now, we were allowed two msafs per semester a couple years ago lol.
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:41 PM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Splitting up your marks is the best possible thing you could do to increase your overall grade... more often than not, midterm marks are higher for the amount of time put in to obtain them.

It does 'devalue the degree', however. This is mostly due to the fact that professors don't care to follow up on MSAFs beyond rescheduling and changing weights.

Phaint says thanks to RyanC for this post.

starfish likes this.
Old 03-18-2013 at 11:23 PM   #14
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Umm NO! Here's why:

1) Students can practically walk in to most clinics and get a doctors note by paying for it, without having illness of any sort. So getting rid of MSAF will not really help in the sense that students can always "have a way out".
2) MSAF can actually make the situation worse for the student when the midterm weight is added to the final - What Ryan said in the above post.
3) Its 1 MSAF per term. Not like they're unlimited like it used to be when it started out as an H1N1 tool. Its not hurting anyone. If its hurting anyone, its yourself - As Cecil said in the above post, you start making decisions keeping in mind that you have an MSAF at your disposal.
4) There are occasions when I'm sick but I don't go to the doctor. Or sometimes when I'm sick, I cannot go to the doctor or have no one to take me. Or there are times when I can't get "documentation" for why I might have missed the test. MSAF is really beneficial then.

I don't know about others, but I have always used my MSAFs (Sometimes for genuine reasons) and I've always done relatively better in courses where I didn't skip an assignment, quiz or midterm.

Also for OP:

Last edited by nikJ : 03-18-2013 at 11:29 PM.

ZSimon says thanks to nikJ for this post.

ZSimon likes this.
Old 03-19-2013 at 12:37 AM   #15
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

I don't think removing MSAF is a good idea. Most professors don't want to deal with it in the first place. If MSAF gets removed then there will be no relief, especially in large (i.e. first-year) courses. However I would support reducing the weighting limit for the MSAF. I think it's ridiculous that people can MSAF anything under 30%, and that midterms in upper year courses are consequently made worth 30+% (in part) to combat that. Dropping it to 15% (or even 10) would cover most things that aren't tests.

I suppose some people can get medical notes, but if a doctor is willing to say you are "sick". he/she seems like a bit of a slime.