MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: would you sign a prenup?
Yes, there is nothing wrong with it. 44 70.97%
No, I am totally against it. 18 29.03%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Payment Agreement vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-31-2010 10:55 PM
Signing up for 5 courses, collecting OSAP, Dropping a course...is there a penalty? sinthusized Financial Aid 0 08-19-2010 10:08 PM
SIN Number required when signing a lease? melodicdream Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 25 02-01-2010 04:58 PM
payment agreement katie_batt Academics 25 06-29-2009 05:37 PM
Payment Agreement Woody33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-21-2008 09:38 PM

Signing a Prenuptial Agreement

Old 04-24-2011 at 04:25 PM   #1
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Signing a Prenuptial Agreement
Would you ever ask your future partner to sign a prenup?
If he or she asked you to sign a prenup, would you sign it? How would you react?

I was just reading some articles about this (lol don't ask me, i was bored), and I was wondering what the MI community thought about it.
Old 04-24-2011 at 04:26 PM   #2
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Wow... MI topics are going deep, yo.
Old 04-24-2011 at 04:26 PM   #3
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

I guess only in situations where the difference in assets that each partner brings to the marriage is huge. There's too many gold diggers out there.
Old 04-24-2011 at 05:42 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I wouldn't ever ask ayone to sign a prenup. I have nothing of value that anyone would want anyway.
As for signing one, yes, I would. But only if my husband had a lot of money or something like that. I don't see the point in signing one unless you have lots of financial assets. Money isn't a big deal to me, so I don't really care.
Old 04-24-2011 at 05:50 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I don't see why not. For sure if I won the lotto before I was married?
Old 04-24-2011 at 06:07 PM   #6
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Money isn't a big deal to me, so I don't really care.

At first I was like,

then I was like,

Your still an ignorant little baby and know nothing of the cruel real world. You will realize this sometime in your mid 20's. Real talk.
Old 04-24-2011 at 06:15 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I doubt many of us have enough for it to matter, I have no intentions of signing one unless I end up getting married considerably later than I originally intended
Old 04-24-2011 at 07:35 PM   #8
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

If I trust somebody enough to marry them, I trust them enough to know they're not a gold-digger.

Unless your an old rich guy marrying a young model you barely trust, a situation I'd never find myself in, I don't foresee an instance where it would be necessary.

AelyaS, ishk33 like this.
Old 04-24-2011 at 07:42 PM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Yes, absolutely. I would not enter a marriage without one. If my fiancee didn't understand that and wouldn't go through with a pre-nup, then there are clearly problems.
Old 04-24-2011 at 08:04 PM   #10
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

I will be getting one since im a multimillionaire athelete . But if i was a normal uni student i don't think i would.

...?!! likes this.
Old 04-24-2011 at 08:13 PM   #11
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

If me and my partner are going into the marriage with little or no assets, then probably not, but if we are then I would probably be open to signing one.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 04-24-2011 at 09:04 PM   #12
noface

Liked: 7 Times

When i marry, the prenuptial agreement will say: Whatever the **** happens EVER, under ANY circumstance, my money is my money. And here is my wifes signature that she will not be getting anything ever. Unless i buy her something myself willingly.

I hope prince williams gets a prenup or hes going to end up like his father.

Last edited by noface : 04-24-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2011 at 10:02 PM   #13
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ.MVP View Post
I will be getting one since im a multimillionaire athelete . But if i was a normal uni student i don't think i would.
LOL not trying to pick you you, but being athletic has nothing to do with these agreements.
Old 04-24-2011 at 10:10 PM   #14
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
If I trust somebody enough to marry them, I trust them enough to know they're not a gold-digger.

Unless your an old rich guy marrying a young model you barely trust, a situation I'd never find myself in, I don't foresee an instance where it would be necessary.
Sometimes things can go wrong even if they are not gold diggers. Like some people marry with the best intentions, but when they get a divorce all they think about is screwing the ex over. Specially if the reason they are getting a divorce is something that causes a lot of resentment, like the spouse cheating, for example, or some sort of violence in the relationship.

So if this spouse is devastated, who is to say he or she won't try to take the house, the car and things like that?

Last edited by Eternal Fire : 04-24-2011 at 10:46 PM.

RyanC likes this.
Old 04-24-2011 at 10:34 PM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Yes, absolutely. I would not enter a marriage without one. If my fiancee didn't understand that and wouldn't go through with a pre-nup, then there are clearly problems.
You know, his refusal to sign, from your perspective, would appear to be a problem arising from the fact that he's untrustworthy...But from his perspective, your prenup indicates trust issues and could be a slap in the face.

People are different... if he's all for a prenup and it's something you discuss prior to the engagement, then it's fine... But if it comes out of left field, and you can't concede your side on such an issue...then yes, there are clearly problems.

Just something to ponder, if you've already decided you don't trust the guy before you know him**.

**EDIT: I don't mean to imply anything about your current relationship status. I'm remarking on the rather bold statement, that "I would not enter a marriage without one" which implies that no matter who it is (even someone you've never met before), you'd get one.