MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8 dollar cover @ 1280 WTF dabulls General Discussion 15 09-10-2009 04:02 PM
Under Cover Timings? loyalty General Discussion 2 08-30-2009 04:40 PM
How Should the Format of a Cover Page Be? edwardlovo Academics 1 09-21-2008 04:13 PM

The Sil asks students if they should cover the election

Old 01-25-2010 at 07:13 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The Sil asks students if they should cover the election
http://thesil.ca/blog/editorial/edit...the-elections/

Apparently the editor of The Sil wrote in last week's paper, basically saying that the MSU should give up because they do nothing. He said no one wrote in to The Sil to say otherwise, and he thinks that means no one cares about the election. Now he wants people to write in and say whether or not The Sil should cover the election.

In my opinion, The Sil thinks it is read by way more students than it actually is. What kind of university newspaper doesn't cover a university election?

Last edited by Kathy2 : 01-25-2010 at 07:15 PM.

ash0000, florencem., Maegs like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 07:15 PM   #2
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

haha. The only joke bigger than the MSU Election is the Silhouette! We should have an election to determine which one is more useless!

Old 01-25-2010 at 07:20 PM   #3
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

The sil IS the biggest joke I've ever seen. Can we please get rid of it!?
Old 01-25-2010 at 07:21 PM   #4
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencem. View Post
The sil IS the biggest joke I've ever seen. Can we please get rid of it!?
Follow the democratic process! We first need to vote on which of the two options is the bigger joke!
Old 01-25-2010 at 07:22 PM   #5
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post

In my opinion, The Sil thinks it is read by way more students than it actually is. What kind of university newspaper doesn't cover a university election?
Well Kathy the Sil is run by interesting people who have a unique theory of editorial autonomy that makes them not usually cover issues that most student's would care about. Hence the common negative statement I hear within the MSU and outside "Who read's the Sil" or when I comment about errors in an article or how it isn't that good "What do you expect? Its the Sil!"

Which I find sad because I love the concept of newspapers and their role on campus. So much potential with the Sil goes unaccomplished because of "editorial" autonomy.

I was talking the other day to an experienced student newspaper journalist Joey Coleman and he told me that the Sil is one of the best funded and well equipped student newspapers in Canada in his experience. Their Design Editors are paid more then the Head Editor of the Uoft's Varsity(which ALSO isn't funded by student levy/fees like Sil is) that produces two copies a week. Then they have a large number of staff and large number of top of the line computers that aren't used most days of the week.

There is so much potential with the Sil, they can have no excuse for not being a more widely read and popular student newspaper!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 01-25-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2010 at 07:26 PM   #6
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

When the minutes for last nights SRA meeting come out, please check out Huzaifa's speech about the Sil.
I loved it.

huzaifa47 says thanks to finklej for this post.

florencem., huzaifa47 like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 07:33 PM   #7
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I used to try and read the Sil every week but I've stopped recently as I tired of their bs. The editors of the Sil have a very narrow point of view and I just got bored of their coverage of McMaster news.

I also don't know anyone who reads it, I rarely see a student around campus reading one and people would often ask me why I was reading the Sil.

The only thing I occasionally liked was Andy.

finklej likes this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 07:36 PM   #8
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

Why doesn't anyone do anything to get rid of it if we all acknowledge how it is just a big joke? It's a lot of wasted paper!.. Way more than Aaron's posters!
Old 01-25-2010 at 07:36 PM   #9
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

One thing that kills me about the Sil is the number of basic spelling and grammar errors in it. I can't take it seriously as a publication because of what seems like an inability to use a spell checker.

The Sil might be more relevant to students if it published more often, and updated the website more often. They should cover issues that are of interest to students, and then maybe more people would read it. Perhaps they should start with good, thorough coverage of the MSU election?

DannyV says thanks to Maegs for this post.
Old 01-25-2010 at 07:39 PM   #10
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencem. View Post
Why doesn't anyone do anything to get rid of it if we all acknowledge how it is just a big joke? It's a lot of wasted paper!
There is talk on a suggestion by Mr Coleman to open up the Sil Editor Position to non MSU students via a change in our operating policy. This would encourage talented outsiders and most importantly people with a fresh and utilitarian outlook to come in and change the place around and go up against the current chain of the assistant editors with (in my opinion) similar outlook on many things becoming editors in a merry go round.

florencem. says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

lorend likes this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 08:17 PM   #11
neila.b

Liked: 13 Times

i'm hearing a lot of negative feedback here...just out of curiosity, what (apart from better editing for spelling/grammar) would you want to see more or less of in the sil? any feature in particular that you really like or dislike?
Old 01-25-2010 at 08:32 PM   #12
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by neila.b View Post
i'm hearing a lot of negative feedback here...just out of curiosity, what (apart from better editing for spelling/grammar) would you want to see more or less of in the sil? any feature in particular that you really like or dislike?
How about covering anything even vaguely related to the best interests of students and their utilitarian good for starters?

Old 01-25-2010 at 08:35 PM   #13
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

-Much, much less negativity
-More substance
-Less news that is a week old
-Andy and sports are great
-Online updates daily

huzaifa47, Maegs like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 08:49 PM   #14
kalkerton

Liked: 15 Times

I like the Sil.

McIntyre says thanks to kalkerton for this post.

bauhaual, c.erl, McIntyre like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:03 PM   #15
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
-Much, much less negativity
Agreed.

I'm cynical and pretty negative myself but the amount of negatively and narrow mindedness in the Sil even annoys me. Its not balanced enough.