MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8 dollar cover @ 1280 WTF dabulls General Discussion 15 09-10-2009 04:02 PM
Under Cover Timings? loyalty General Discussion 2 08-30-2009 04:40 PM
How Should the Format of a Cover Page Be? edwardlovo Academics 1 09-21-2008 04:13 PM

The Sil asks students if they should cover the election

Old 01-25-2010 at 09:05 PM   #16
kalkerton

Liked: 15 Times

The best parts of the Sil aren't the parts dragged down by negativity. I really like ANDY! We should all read more ANDY!

sew12 likes this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:06 PM   #17
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

I can't do the "aside from the spelling and grammar errors" thing.

Almost every week I'm totally shocked by the lack of proofreading. Sometimes it's downright embarrassing for our school.

Maegs, Marlowe, samd like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:07 PM   #18
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I agree about the negativity in The Sil. That really turns me off.

One thing that really got to me though was the fact that they never covered Jeff Renaud in The Sil (the missing Engineering student). They never even tried to talk to his family about it. They said they weren't publishing anything about it because they wanted to "respect the family's privacy". But he was a missing person - putting his picture and info in The Sil could have helped find him sooner. Plus, his family talked to The Spec so I'm sure they would have been fine with talking to The Sil.

ANYWAY, I didn't want this to become a Sil bashing thread. I just wanted people to know that The Sil might not cover the election.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 01-25-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:13 PM   #19
neila.b

Liked: 13 Times

that's interesting. i have noticed the proofreading errors (it's hard not to), but i always considered the 'negativity' to be more of a cynical joking attitude rather than a mean-spirited one.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:18 PM   #20
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
I can't do the "aside from the spelling and grammar errors" thing.

Almost every week I'm totally shocked by the lack of proofreading. Sometimes it's downright embarrassing for our school.
I fully agree with this.
What was with the article with all the phallic images? I didn't even bother reading it because the pictures themselves were so low quality it didn't even peak any interest.

I am interested though, in fashion. The little article with the person shown is a good start for a piece of the paper. But gauging from what I've seen on campus, there were more people with a lot more unique style. Also the one article talking about fashion and what was in and stuff...seemed quite behind in the times. Although I'm probably thinking higher end brands and trends in Europe and Asia rather than local.

Although I think the MSU election IS something they should cover. Why wouldn't they? I'm sure there's lots that don't know exactly what's going on and a full, thorough article outlining the campaigns and some words from each candidate would be awesome. Why not show that you can put effort into great articles that have heavy relevance to what is happening right now within the school.

Last edited by TTHX : 01-25-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:20 PM   #21
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkerton View Post
The best parts of the Sil aren't the parts dragged down by negativity. I really like ANDY! We should all read more ANDY!
Well I did mention that I enjoy Andy. That was frequently the best part of the Sil.

lorend, michelle like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:23 PM   #22
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

the absolute garbage that the sil publishes is absolutely useles...
i cant think of a good reason that i would want to read it...
maybe if they wrote something... decent
i think they should focus more on quality rather than quantity.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:44 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I do not agree with Green's attempting to avoid covering the election -- it would make a paper that is already considered a joke by the majority of the student population held in even less regard. As it stands right now, the Sil is still part of the MSU (when/if that changes I'm a little sketchy with in terms of details), and should be reporting on it.

MacInsiders FTW (and we're not even part of the MSU!).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-25-2010 at 09:49 PM   #24
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

I'm not just saying this because I'm a frequent contributor to the Sil and because I think newspapers in general are a vital part to a vibrant community, but because what I'm hearing is absurd!

Everyone wants to see the Sil cover things more relevant to students or wants to see less negativity...

So step up and volunteer! I think we all forget that the Sil is a student run, largely volunteer newspaper, which relies on the contribution of the general population to run effectively.

Many contributors and editors are students too, balancing readings, essays, mid-terms and The Sil, so you can't expect everything to be perfect. Even the Globe and Mail gets things wrong, and they have paid professionals on their staff.

If you want to see a change in YOUR student newspaper, attend the section meetings and offer to write for them (News, Wednesdays @ 12:30...Inside Out/ANDY, Mondays @ 1:30...Sports, Thursdays @ 1:30).

Opinions and editorials are always welcome, and, so long as they are written well and aren't filled with racist taunts, have a good chance of being accepted.

Too often, we just say "It's messed up...lets get rid of it!" This reactionary behaviour doesn't take into consideration the significant impact things like newspapers have on a community.

If you're really concerned, step up and participate! You can really change things with a little initiative and drive!

And you can definitely start by answering the question the editorial board posted!

McIntyre, neila.b all say thanks to c.erl for this post.

BlakeM, Chad, McIntyre, neila.b, rrtt like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:51 PM   #25
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post

In my opinion, The Sil thinks it is read by way more students than it actually is. What kind of university newspaper doesn't cover a university election?
I have to agree with this 100%. I would also be 100% in favour of emancipating the Sil from the MSU and allowing them to fend for themselves (they would be forced to improve in order to survive... I wouldn't support a student levy for them). My only regret is that I'm graduating this year and I cannot start that project myself.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:52 PM   #26
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

I agree with you, Chris. Being a student is a balancing act that not everyone can handle.

That being said, I've seen some issues with 15-20 typos on one page. I really think that's unacceptable. Since (almost) every computer has a spellchecker that underlines misspellings in bright red, to have that many errors on one page only signifies complete and utter disregard for good writing.
Old 01-25-2010 at 10:02 PM   #27
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
I'm not just saying this because I'm a frequent contributor to the Sil and because I think newspapers in general are a vital part to a vibrant community, but because what I'm hearing is absurd!

Everyone wants to see the Sil cover things more relevant to students or wants to see less negativity...

So step up and volunteer! I think we all forget that the Sil is a student run, largely volunteer newspaper, which relies on the contribution of the general population to run effectively.

Many contributors and editors are students too, balancing readings, essays, mid-terms and The Sil, so you can't expect everything to be perfect. Even the Globe and Mail gets things wrong, and they have paid professionals on their staff.

If you want to see a change in YOUR student newspaper, attend the section meetings and offer to write for them (News, Wednesdays @ 12:30...Inside Out/ANDY, Mondays @ 1:30...Sports, Thursdays @ 1:30).

Opinions and editorials are always welcome, and, so long as they are written well and aren't filled with racist taunts, have a good chance of being accepted.

Too often, we just say "It's messed up...lets get rid of it!" This reactionary behaviour doesn't take into consideration the significant impact things like newspapers have on a community.

If you're really concerned, step up and participate! You can really change things with a little initiative and drive!

And you can definitely start by answering the question the editorial board posted!
Not everyone has time or interest in working on a newspaper. Just because one doesn't like a paper, or wishes a paper were better doesn't mean they should go work for it.

I don't like the Toronto Sun but I'm not applying to intern there or write for it. I just choose not to read it and/or voice my concerns about the paper.

samd likes this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 10:09 PM   #28
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Not everyone has time or interest in working on a newspaper. Just because one doesn't like a paper, or wishes a paper were better doesn't mean they should go work for it.

I don't like the Toronto Sun but I'm not applying to intern there or write for it. I just choose not to read it and/or voice my concerns about the paper.
Oh, understandable (and I totally agree on the Toronto Sun thing...)

But if you want to see a more "balanced" newspaper, you should definitely write letters to the editor or opinions when you can.

If I see something terribly biased in the Sun, I'll write a letter to the editor to express my displeasure with it. If you see something just such in the Sil, you should consider doing the same. Freedom of speech affords us that right, and we should utilize it frequently.

It's just like posting on macinsiders, but more like if the pages were only updated every week?
Old 01-25-2010 at 10:10 PM   #29
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I have to agree with this 100%. I would also be 100% in favour of emancipating the Sil from the MSU and allowing them to fend for themselves (they would be forced to improve in order to survive... I wouldn't support a student levy for them). My only regret is that I'm graduating this year and I cannot start that project myself.
Without a student levy how would a student newspaper support itself in any way? That's condemning it to fail and I don't want McMaster to be one of the few Universities without a paper. I really appreciate what Chris Erl said. I guess I just think that it's funny that everyone is complaining that the Silhouette is overly negative - well look at how negative and unconstructive this thread is. Just like some SRA members respond to people who criticize the MSU - GET INVOLVED! You can make a difference and changes. I just don't see how this is productive in any way.

c.erl says thanks to McIntyre for this post.
Old 01-25-2010 at 10:13 PM   #30
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
Oh, understandable (and I totally agree on the Toronto Sun thing...)

But if you want to see a more "balanced" newspaper, you should definitely write letters to the editor or opinions when you can.

If I see something terribly biased in the Sun, I'll write a letter to the editor to express my displeasure with it. If you see something just such in the Sil, you should consider doing the same. Freedom of speech affords us that right, and we should utilize it frequently.

It's just like posting on macinsiders, but more like if the pages were only updated every week?
The letters to the editor are actually interesting to read sometimes. So make that Andy and letters that I like.

Can I write in and complain about that annoying thumbs up/thumbs down feature? Does the whole campus want to read your inside jokes? No thanks.

samd likes this.