MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Signing up for 5 courses, collecting OSAP, Dropping a course...is there a penalty? sinthusized Financial Aid 0 08-19-2010 10:08 PM
Is it a good idea to sign a lease when you are short one person? sinthusized Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 02-16-2010 10:20 AM
When is the best time to sign a lease? Kathy2 General Discussion 11 10-13-2009 02:44 PM
Possible to cancel lease due to sanitation reasons mmal General Discussion 4 05-31-2009 10:22 PM

SIN Number required when signing a lease?

Old 01-30-2010 at 05:12 PM   #16
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

In the last 3 years, I've signed 3 leases for 3 different student houses and I have never been asked for my SIN. For the last two houses I signed, I didn't need a co-signer or anything. For the first house I signed, he didn't do a credit check but still required a co-signer. For the last two houses, both landlords had been renting out houses for over 20 years. I guess it's a matter of preference on the part of the landlord. I'm glad I've never been asked though - the idea of giving my SIN to a landlord I've only met very very recently makes me nervous.
Old 01-30-2010 at 05:22 PM   #17
melodicdream

Liked: 10 Times

So if I refuse to give the landlords my SIN number, they wouldn't refuse to rent me the place right? And what if I brought my dad to be a co-signer instead of providing my SIN number? would that be ok?
Old 01-30-2010 at 05:27 PM   #18
melodicdream

Liked: 10 Times

and my landlord just told me that the SIN number is a standard identification piece along with your drivers license on a lease. But im sort of doubting that, especially with what everyone here has said....
Old 01-30-2010 at 05:32 PM   #19
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicdream View Post
So if I refuse to give the landlords my SIN number, they wouldn't refuse to rent me the place right? And what if I brought my dad to be a co-signer instead of providing my SIN number? would that be ok?
Your landlord might try to refuse to rent to you if you don't provide a SIN, but he's technically not allowed to do that. He can conduct credit checks without it, and your dad co-signing should be more than enough.
Old 01-30-2010 at 06:18 PM   #20
Dave.Moore

Liked: Liked 3 Times

The web site for Service Canada, a federal government department, has a page specifically devoted to "Who can ask for my SIN and when don't I have to provide my SIN?"

http://www.servicecanada.gc. ca/eng.../provide.shtml

Private sector entities are "strongly discouraged" by the government from asking for your SIN. The web page specifically notes that "completing an application to rent a property" is among the occasions when you are not obliged to provide your SIN.

lawleypop, lorend, melodicdream, Nino, sniderj all say thanks to Dave.Moore for this post.
Old 01-31-2010 at 11:02 PM   #21
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

I doubted that you need SIN to rent a student house. Last year I was renting a room in a student house and he didn't ask for one. (I didn't even have SIN by that time) He asked for a piece of identification though. So I think driver license is surely enough to rent a house/room.
Old 02-01-2010 at 08:35 AM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
I doubted that you need SIN to rent a student house. Last year I was renting a room in a student house and he didn't ask for one. (I didn't even have SIN by that time) He asked for a piece of identification though. So I think driver license is surely enough to rent a house/room.
My boyfriend has rented a room in a student house for 3 years and was never asked for his SIN.

I think you're only asked for your SIN when you're filling applications for apartments. I don't think landlords of student houses care as much as landlords of apartments.
Old 02-01-2010 at 11:09 AM   #23
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I just remembered this, and I think it kinda pertains to the topic at hand.

Anyway, I've had to get several police checks over the years for volunteering. It asks for ID on the form, and your SIN is listed as a possibility, but the police officer at the desk said that he strongly didn't recomend anyone putting that in unless they absolutely had no other form of ID. If he didn't recomend it being given at a police station, on a form that would only be looked at by people hired by the police, I wouldn't recomend giving it to your landlord. Just a thought.
Old 02-01-2010 at 12:57 PM   #24
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

if you end up wanting to sign with that landlord just tell him/her straight up that your not comfortable giving away your sin and if he wants to do a credit check your drivers license is more than enough... if they say they won't rent it to you without a sin then tell the landlord to **** off and leave.. atleast thats what i would do

lawleypop likes this.
Old 02-01-2010 at 01:37 PM   #25
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
if you end up wanting to sign with that landlord just tell him/her straight up that your not comfortable giving away your sin and if he wants to do a credit check your drivers license is more than enough... if they say they won't rent it to you without a sin then tell the landlord to **** off and leave.. atleast thats what i would do
I like your attitude. n_n

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-01-2010 at 04:58 PM   #26
b_sunshine55

Liked: 1 Time

Unless it is for an employer or the government, you should NOT give out your SIN card, any good landlord in my opinion would never ask for SIN