MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone lived in a single room in moulton before? macbaby07 Moulton Hall Forum 13 07-07-2010 10:28 AM
single room - lonely? nick Residence & Housing 20 05-23-2010 10:11 PM
Single or double room? thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-17-2010 10:12 AM
"single room" nick Residence & Housing 3 05-10-2010 11:02 PM
Single Room-Residence? kenvin100 Residence & Housing 20 05-14-2008 10:59 PM

Single Room

Old 05-22-2009 at 01:11 PM   #1
saigalhz

Liked: 0 Times

Single Room
I just got a Single room guarantee should i select it? I am a International student and know no one in Mcmaster. What are the pros and cons of a single? Is it dificult to meet people?
Old 05-22-2009 at 01:39 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

I had a roommate for the first couple months of rez, it was livable, you have to make sacrifices though, then after the Brandon Hall fire, my roommate found somewhere else to live by the time we could move back in. So I wound up with a room to myself for the rest of the year, and believe me you're going to want a single room. It's really nice to have one place where you can be by yourself and live by your own rules. There isn't anything wrong with having a roommate, it's fine, but a single room is better. And with regards to meeting people: make use of the common room in your rez, that's the best way to meet people, a lot of people I know didn't really become friends with their roommates, but a lot of people do though.
Old 05-22-2009 at 02:18 PM   #3
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

I lived in a triple in Moulton Hall in my first year, and I'm pretty sure I was one of the lucky few (on my floor) that ended up getting along really well with my roommates. I had a great year, and I'm glad that I got a chance to meet all the people I did.

However, last year, I lived in a single in Les Prince and all in all, I have to say that it was a more productive experience. I slept better, studied better and found that I had a lot more time on my hands than I would have if I'd had roommates again.

Whether or not a single room will work for you depends largely on your own living habits. In a single room, there is far less compromise and apart from your floormates, your sleeping/eating/studying habits will not be affected by others, which sometimes is really good for you especialy in first year when the distractions are endless. Sometimes, the ability to just close your door and have some privacy at the end of the day is well worth the extra cost and the lack of roommates.

Don't worry about meeting people.. your CAs, Welcome week reps and faculty reps will do their best to help you meet people for your first few weeks. Just remember to go out to events and be friendly. If I were you, I'd take the single room. You have the advantage of privacy and you can choose to be as social/anti-social as you want to be, without the additional stress of compromising to your roommate/s standards.

Last edited by Geek : 05-22-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2009 at 02:56 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I lived in a double room in first year and it was fine. My roommate and I got along fine, we kind of just kept to ourselves though and we didn't really become friends or anything. I know others who had horrible experiences with roommates and others who became great friends with their roommates.

I lived in a single this past year and I quite enjoyed it. It's your own space and you can do as you please.

Roommates are only 2 or 3 people you get to automatically meet in residence, you'll have plenty of opportunities to meet more people if you live in a single and make lots of friends.

Make sure you go to all the events for welcome week, that will give you lots of opportunities to meet all the other first years in your residence and lots of other fellow first year students. Welcome week is pretty much all about meeting and getting to know the people you'll be living with for the school year and the people in your faculty that you'll be taking classes with.

Also as mentioned just don't keep to your room, go out to the common room, it's a great place to meet people. There's a TV in there and couches, when you want a break from your room or studying or whatever just sit there for a bit and lounge.

Living in a single room definitely won't stop you from meeting people and making friends if that's what you want to do.

The only thing is a single is more expensive than the other types of rooms. If the extra money isn't an issue you'll probably find you appreciate having your own space. With a roommate situation it's 50-50 you could end up with great roommates you get a long with and become friends with or you could end up hating living with them so if you've been offered a guaranteed single room I'd go for it.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 05-23-2009 at 08:15 AM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I would say it's easier to meet more people when you have a roommate - usually you get on pretty well!

Not only do you meet the people on the floor and the people you make friends with, but their friends too!

You'll meet TONS of people in classes and groupwork though, and especially if you join some clubs!
Old 05-31-2009 at 06:30 PM   #6
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

i managed to get a single room first year and i loved it soo much. Trust me as long as your out of your room and meet people on your floor it will be fine. its nice to have your own room and to get away when you want. Plus do you want to risk having a roomate which you might not get along with or even really hate. Trust me you'll be able to make friends in res, its not that hard. but single rooms are amazing
Old 05-31-2009 at 06:52 PM   #7
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

I had a single room. Get out of your room as much as possible. It can be lonely at times, but it's wonderful to go to your own room when you need to. Having a single room may reduce some un-needed stress. Just get involved with as many activities as you can. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2009 at 11:09 PM   #8
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I had a single room this year and preferred it much more than having a roommate. It's really easy to meet people still. Hang out in common rooms, become a FLIRC, meet your neighbours. It's nice to have your own space at night and not be kept awake by your roommate or have awkward moments when the significant other visits.
Old 05-31-2009 at 11:40 PM   #9
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

I was able to experience living with a roommate and also living by myself. I lived in Brandon Hall so my roommate opted out after the fire and I had a double room to myself. It was pretty awesome having a double room to myself but I actually enjoyed the company of my roommate. We had a lot in common and got along just fine most of the time. We shared most of the stuff we had in the room which saved both of us a lot of trouble. Another advantage is that if you happen to lock your self out, you can get your roommate to get you back in the room. This was a big deal for me because during the first term, I locked myself out so many times! Heck, I locked myself out on the first day while on the way to shower. My roommate wasn't in the room and I had to contact him to get him to come and help me get back in the room. The next time I locked myself out before going to shower was after he opted out...Let's just say that was quite the embarrassment!
Old 06-01-2009 at 12:05 AM   #10
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I roomed with my friend in first year in a double, and it was a lot of fun. We got along great and the year went by smoothly.

I had a single this year, and it's good as well. I think a single helps when you want to be able to study in peace and quiet, because you're the only one that's going to be there, and you don't have to worry about stepping on your roommates toes with regards to noise if they want to sleep before you etc.
Old 06-01-2009 at 12:15 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Having a single room also helps you avoid certain awkward social situations involving overnight guests...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement