MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone lived in a single room in moulton before? macbaby07 Moulton Hall Forum 13 07-07-2010 10:28 AM
single room - lonely? nick Residence & Housing 20 05-23-2010 10:11 PM
Single or double room? thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-17-2010 10:12 AM
"single room" nick Residence & Housing 3 05-10-2010 11:02 PM
Single Room saigalhz Residence & Housing 10 06-01-2009 12:15 AM

Single Room-Residence?

Old 05-06-2008 at 05:39 PM   #1
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Single Room-Residence?
Is there any way I can get a single room at McMaster? I really dont know what to expect out of residence but do I get my own room lol
Old 05-06-2008 at 08:03 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You have to get an early choice in the lottery.

Mac's residence works on a lottery basis. Everyone who meets the cutoff has their names put into the system, and then you are randomly drawn. The closer to the start you are, generally the better chance you get at picking your top choice.

You can rank the apartment style (Bates) or suite style (Mary Keyes) residences high on your preference. These residences have a series of rooms (two to six, dending on which res and which actual room) where you get a single room in a shared suite/apartment room (it works the same as an apartment building does with more than one bedroom).

However, living in Bates and Keyes is not as good as you may think.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-06-2008 at 08:42 PM   #3
kenvin100
Elite Member

I dont understand? What's wrong with single rooms?

The thing is I'm a bit of an early person..like really early...I have a messed up schedule..lI sleep early..I wake up real early to study and do other things..it's a brown thing I guess hahaah! Let's leave it at that..I dont want to be a distraction to my roomate lol
Old 05-06-2008 at 08:53 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

In suite and apartment style residences its much harder to meet people because there are no common areas on your floor (the only common space is with your apartment/suite mates). so to meet people you have to enter someone else's apartment/suite.

whereas in traditional style residences there is a common room that all people on that floor (and others) have access to at all times. getting to meet others and socialize is a hell of a lot easier because you don't have to enter someone elses space/have permission.

there are single rooms in traditional residences, but most of them are reserved for upper year students.

and lots of people wake up early to study (I was waking up at 5AM for my exams this term). and if you are in a shared room, there are common study areas you can go to if you don't want to bother your roommate by studying early.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-07-2008 at 07:58 AM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I wouldn't worry about waking up early. If you get up really early like 5am then most likely your roommate won't even notice since they'll be sound asleep. As long as you leave the room light off (small lamp on your table you can turn on for example instead).
Old 05-07-2008 at 08:29 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Res rooms come equipped with said small lamp.

Old 05-07-2008 at 02:48 PM   #7
kenvin100
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You have to get an early choice in the lottery.
The closer to the start you are, generally the better chance you get at picking your top choice.
I dont get what you said here...
Old 05-07-2008 at 03:06 PM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

If you get randomly selected in the lottery near the beginning (ie. they pick your name out of the hat and you're #1...) then you get first dibs on your choice of residence. So if you really wanted to get into Keyes, being picked near the beginning means you get a better chance. If there are 800 people in the random draw, and you're picked #799 then chances are all the 'good' choices are taken and you may have to settle with a residence you weren't thinking on choosing. However, it all comes down to your level of involvement and the friends you meet in residence that makes it fun, and not the amenities inside, right?
Old 05-07-2008 at 04:14 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Speaking from experience, yes.

I got my last choice for residence type (it used to be by room type when I was in first year), but had an amazing time. Probably much more so than if I had got my first choice, from others who lived in the style of residence my first choice was.

Old 05-07-2008 at 04:35 PM   #10
kenvin100
Elite Member

okay second question: can we choose our roomates..like I have a friend from school..can i choose to be roomates with him
Old 05-07-2008 at 04:47 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

*sigh*

It's all explained in the residence info you're given (or, if you go to the link it's explained).

You can choose to live with someone of the same gender. But you both must list each other as roommates, and rank your choices as identical.

But that doesn't mean you may not be put into a triple even if you requested to live with someone.

Old 05-11-2008 at 06:40 PM   #12
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Hey I lived in a single this year and just to let you know its not all its cracked up to be. By the end I would have preferred being in a double because I was really bored and lonely in my single.

Also the only way you can really get a single in first year is if your final top 6 average is 95%+. Mac gives you a single if this is a case. Other than that all the singles are for upper years.
Old 05-11-2008 at 06:54 PM   #13
kenvin100
Elite Member

hmm Im just worried I'll lose focus with a roomate..but its okay Im gonna try to be roomates with a friend..we'll see what happens
Old 05-11-2008 at 06:54 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

That can actually be worse sometimes...

Old 05-11-2008 at 10:11 PM   #15
leah tova

Liked: 0 Times

How are special accomodations done? are they thrown into the lottery or done before hand?