MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone lived in a single room in moulton before? macbaby07 Moulton Hall Forum 13 07-07-2010 10:28 AM
Single or double room? thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-17-2010 10:12 AM
"single room" nick Residence & Housing 3 05-10-2010 11:02 PM
Single Room saigalhz Residence & Housing 10 06-01-2009 12:15 AM
Single Room-Residence? kenvin100 Residence & Housing 20 05-14-2008 10:59 PM

single room - lonely?

Old 05-11-2010 at 06:13 PM   #1
nick

Liked: 0 Times

single room - lonely?
I'm getting a single room next year (1st year) because of a religious reason.
I'm so scared of being lonely because I won't know anybody.
Plus it seems so much more fun to share a room with friends than to be alone :(
Old 05-11-2010 at 06:16 PM   #2
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

A single room could be a wise decision...while you may not grow quite as close to anyone in your rez (since you'd see a roommate more often than anyone else), you're still free to go out and socialize in the various lounges/facilities Mac has to offer.

The upside is, your space is your own and you don't need to worry about crossing boundaries, or having your roomie cross yours. It all depends on how easy going you are with others in that way.

Shyness isn't the best thing to have...but you'll find it's independent of your living arrangements. I know a guy who shared a house with 4 guys but didn't socialize much...whereas I know another guy who lived in a 1 bdrm apartment, and socialized like crazy.
Old 05-11-2010 at 06:30 PM   #3
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

if you can try to get a double atleast...A single is not a wise choice in first year.
Old 05-11-2010 at 06:43 PM   #4
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

There were a bunch of people I met who were in singles last year, but they got out and socialized in the common room alot and made a bunch of friends so if you're that kind of person than you'll be fine. But I knew someome else who stayed in their room studying non stop and I havnt seen that person in months .. but that was their choice.
The other thing too is that I found my floor was really amazing and super social, so that helped everyone as well, so it all depends, but if you make the effort, you wont be lonely
Old 05-11-2010 at 06:57 PM   #5
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
if you can try to get a double atleast...A single is not a wise choice in first year.
A single room first year is the best thing ever! You'll still meet people on your floor and then when you get sick of them you can go back to your room and not be bothered when you want to sleep or study.
Old 05-11-2010 at 07:02 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

If there's one thing I can sugget about living near/on campus, it's this: Do not have a roommate!!!

You might get a little lonely, but you just have to try a little harder to make friends outside of your house/apartment building. Having a roommate is fun if you get along - but if you're stuck with someone you don't get along with, it really sucks.

I would rather risk being lonely for the first few weeks than being stuck with a douchebag all year.

You will probably make friends at school regardless of your living arrangement. Having a single room is a very, very good thing to have.
Old 05-11-2010 at 09:52 PM   #7
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

I think that you can be in a single room and meet a lot of people but it depends on how much effort you put into it.

If you do end up living in a single, try to go to as many welcome week events as possible, as this is a great way to meet people on your floor and in your building. I would also encourage you to go to as many floor/building events as you can also meet tons of people.
Old 05-11-2010 at 10:06 PM   #8
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

meh single room is so much better anyways, what sort of religious reason is that anyways im interested in knowing
Old 05-11-2010 at 10:41 PM   #9
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

I had a single room in my first year. It was a really good experience for me. It's nice having your own space to work and live in, you don't have to worry about dealing with any possibly unpleasant roommates (although having a nice roommate would have been fun too). And like many people mentioned above, you can still easily socialize by going to the different welcome week events and/or floor meetings.
Old 05-11-2010 at 10:59 PM   #10
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I had a single room in second year and I did find myself lonely sometimes. That said I'm shy and I didn't make much effort to get out and meet other people, especially b/c most others were first years and had their own thing going on.

That said I also really enjoyed having my own room.

If you do make the effort to participate in your residence activities, and go out and meet other people on your floor you'll be fine and you'll probably like having your own space when you want to study or whatever. Welcome Week will be a big help, just participate in everything Welcome Week and get to know the people in your residence. Then you can hang with them in the common room, or in your rooms, or around campus or whatever. A roommate is just one person you meet anyway, you'd have to make the effort to meet more people even if you had one or two That said I also really enjoyed having my own room.
Old 05-12-2010 at 01:21 AM   #11
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
I'm getting a single room next year (1st year) because of a religious reason.
I'm so scared of being lonely because I won't know anybody.
Plus it seems so much more fun to share a room with friends than to be alone :(
I don't know what your religious reason is, but it doesn't seem to be in line with what YOU want. In the end it's not about what some deity or book tells you to do, it's about doing what feels right (with obvious constraints).

_Luu_ says thanks to Goce for this post.

andrew22, ViktorVaughn like this.
Old 05-12-2010 at 02:26 AM   #12
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
I don't know what your religious reason is, but it doesn't seem to be in line with what YOU want. In the end it's not about what some deity or book tells you to do, it's about doing what feels right (with obvious constraints).
That's not necessarily true (or false)...I don't want to write exams, and at times the fear of failure is prominent in my mind...does this mean it's not in line with what I want? That it's a higher authority (ie. the university) dictating how I live my life? Well no...because we've neglected to realize that I'm in school for a reason, which I've chosen myself. There are unfortunate side effects to anything in life. I'd be scared to get a root canal done, but does that mean I don't want it done?

Bottom line is, you shouldn't make a snap judgment and take a shot at something which may (or may not) be something the OP in fact holds quite close to their heart. Regardless of how they feel...I really don't mean to start a whole thing with this, but I completely fail to see how this post would have helped them in any way. The OP isn't going to go "Oh damn, I've wasted my life" and drop their religion on a whim, so what is it you hoped to achieve? I mean besides taking a jab at religion?

Last edited by Mowicz : 05-12-2010 at 02:30 AM.

BlakeM, J-Met, Lois, nick, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 05-14-2010 at 05:23 PM   #13
nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
That's not necessarily true (or false)...I don't want to write exams, and at times the fear of failure is prominent in my mind...does this mean it's not in line with what I want? That it's a higher authority (ie. the university) dictating how I live my life? Well no...because we've neglected to realize that I'm in school for a reason, which I've chosen myself. There are unfortunate side effects to anything in life. I'd be scared to get a root canal done, but does that mean I don't want it done?

Bottom line is, you shouldn't make a snap judgment and take a shot at something which may (or may not) be something the OP in fact holds quite close to their heart. Regardless of how they feel...I really don't mean to start a whole thing with this, but I completely fail to see how this post would have helped them in any way. The OP isn't going to go "Oh damn, I've wasted my life" and drop their religion on a whim, so what is it you hoped to achieve? I mean besides taking a jab at religion?
thanks. religion is much more important to me than making friends, obviously. But i just didnt want to be a loner lol
Old 05-14-2010 at 05:25 PM   #14
nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
meh single room is so much better anyways, what sort of religious reason is that anyways im interested in knowing
need to pray 5 times a day,
cant have anybody walking by in front of me
cant have any pictures of people/animals on walls around me,
need an absolutely clean space at all times.
a roommate may most likely make this impossible!
Old 05-14-2010 at 06:39 PM   #15
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

I lived in a double with some random kid I never met before. Needless to say I pretty much had a single room. The kid was never there. 1 or 2 days a week. I was once alone in that room for 17 days before I saw him again. Yea.... thats all.