MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running routes around mac artsci2015 Athletics & Recreation 4 08-31-2011 08:47 AM
Campus security running stop signs without sirens Kathy2 General Discussion 5 03-24-2011 08:19 PM
THIS is why Steve Running should have won MaxEdison General Discussion 0 03-23-2011 01:57 PM
Running Shoes??! Skye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-09-2010 02:02 PM
University Medical Center bus stop Halsinger General Discussion 3 09-11-2009 08:46 AM

Sleep & University. How to stop a running mind?

Old 11-21-2012 at 12:49 AM   #16
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Two words: chamomile tea.
Old 11-21-2012 at 01:04 AM   #17
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

do mind taxing things such as studying/gaming

ZSimon likes this.
Old 11-21-2012 at 01:15 AM   #18
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I had this for a while too, but what helped me was playing a video game that I could get really into (but time it so you don't play it too long) and I found that helped to clear my mind before bed. The other thing was a mini, non running workout before bed like push ups and chin ups helped to take some of my energy before I tried to sleep

ZSimon says thanks to Snowman for this post.
Old 11-21-2012 at 06:20 AM   #19
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Go to the student wellness centre. They may give you something to help you sleep.
Old 11-21-2012 at 03:58 PM   #20
artsy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

It sounds like you have a lot of stress. The same thing happened to me this year. When my mind runs while I'm trying to sleep I tell myself "I can't do anything now that I'm in bed. Thinking things to death won't help me right now but a well rested night will help me tomorrow." I had to 'correct my thinking' which took some getting used to. And by that I mean I stopped my thoughts when I noticed my mind wandering and then focused on breathing and sleeping.
Hiding the time when you're trying to sleep helps a lot too. I didn't realize how stressed I was getting just by looking at my alarm clock.
I agree than an appointment with someone at the student wellness center would help.
good luck!
Old 11-21-2012 at 04:14 PM   #21
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
Being picky, but there's a big difference between night sleep and day sleep. Getting less than 6-8 hours night rest (that matches up with your body clock) over long periods will likely have detrimental effects on your body. Day sleep does not compensate for that sleep debt. Based on personal experience, sleep from 10 PM–5 AM feels a ton better than from 1 AM–8 AM.
Do you have a source that supports this theory?
Old 11-21-2012 at 04:20 PM   #22
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
I have no idea if this is what was meant by the post (personal experience was cited), but if you're not used to day sleep then you won't be as well-rested from it as you would be from sleeping at night - throws your circadian rhythm off. Also, if you don't have black-out curtains, light significantly impacts the quality of your sleep (particularly green/blue light) as it leads to less melatonin production (source - physiology prof. if you want a more legit source you can probably google it).

julianface says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 11-21-2012 at 07:06 PM   #23
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Respondents, thank you for your kind words and advices.

I plan to start using melatonin. I should also mention that I was recently on a drug holiday from the amphetamine: methylphenidate.

I also plan to restart my methylphenidate without any drug holidays. I felt much more drained when I was on it. (I should have mentioned that I have ADD).

I'm glad this discussion took place and cannot thank everyone enough.

edit: julian I used to do poly-phasic sleep but had to stop when I initially started treating my ADD.

Simon
Old 11-21-2012 at 09:39 PM   #24
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Yeah, try drugs if nothing works. I don't think its a good idea because it makes sleepy when not needed, so yeah good luck with that. Try not to drive during that period.
Old 11-21-2012 at 09:42 PM   #25
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
It's not really a "theory" in the way (I assume) you suggest. It's standard and accepted knowledge that is part of our understanding of sleep. Your circadian rhythm dictates your sleep timing and with it all the neurological and physiological changes that occur. Wikipedia...it's generally your best source--a wealth of information on stuff like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep . The Timing section under REM sleep might be relevant (although the entire article is pretty much relevant).

(Before you elitists jump on my first sentence--yes, I do know what theory typically refers to in science. Even so, it's not a theory.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I have no idea if this is what was meant by the post (personal experience was cited), but if you're not used to day sleep then you won't be as well-rested from it as you would be from sleeping at night - throws your circadian rhythm off. Also, if you don't have black-out curtains, light significantly impacts the quality of your sleep (particularly green/blue light) as it leads to less melatonin production (source - physiology prof. if you want a more legit source you can probably google it).
Yes, that's part of it. It's not just melatonin production but also a reduction in core body temperature. In response to Julian, from that same Wikipedia article:

"The optimal amount of sleep is not a meaningful concept unless the timing of that sleep is seen in relation to an individual's circadian rhythms. A person's major sleep episode is relatively inefficient and inadequate when it occurs at the "wrong" time of day; one should be asleep at least six hours before the lowest body temperature. The timing is correct when the following two circadian markers occur after the middle of the sleep episode and before awakening: maximum concentration of the hormone melatonin and minimum core body temperature."

Last edited by Yogurt : 11-21-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2012 at 08:48 AM   #26
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Take a gravol to knock you out, and help to slowly shift you back into normal people time.

Old 11-22-2012 at 11:47 AM   #27
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
It's not really a "theory" in the way (I assume) you suggest. It's standard and accepted knowledge that is part of our understanding of sleep. Your circadian rhythm dictates your sleep timing and with it all the neurological and physiological changes that occur. Wikipedia...it's generally your best source--a wealth of information on stuff like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep . The Timing section under REM sleep might be relevant (although the entire article is pretty much relevant).

(Before you elitists jump on my first sentence--yes, I do know what theory typically refers to in science. Even so, it's not a theory.)

Yes, that's part of it. It's not just melatonin production but also a reduction in core body temperature. In response to Julian, from that same Wikipedia article:

"The optimal amount of sleep is not a meaningful concept unless the timing of that sleep is seen in relation to an individual's circadian rhythms. A person's major sleep episode is relatively inefficient and inadequate when it occurs at the "wrong" time of day; one should be asleep at least six hours before the lowest body temperature. The timing is correct when the following two circadian markers occur after the middle of the sleep episode and before awakening: maximum concentration of the hormone melatonin and minimum core body temperature."
Polyphasic sleep is about changing your circadian rhythm. If you follow your sleep schedule precisely your body adapts to it, and that allows you to achieve REM sleep very quickly during the naps.

I don't really understand the lowest body temperature thing, does your lowest body temperature have to do with how deep into sleep you are?