MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 Ish001 Academics 43 08-29-2011 10:18 PM
Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 lmasud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-08-2010 04:19 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

So who are some "good" Math (2Z03/2ZZ3) profs you guys have had?

Old 06-07-2011 at 11:39 AM   #16
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

sooo.....

Garbardo and Stelvitella then, LOL
Old 06-07-2011 at 11:39 AM   #17
Parminder S
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Well, it's important to remember that engineering is not mathematics. There's no need for engineers to understand mathematical ideas, since one doesn't need to understand an idea to use it.
As an example of this concept, think about calculus. Calculus is actually quite complex in analytical terms, but is not really that difficult to operate within. It's an example of a formal system - something which can be understood (from the inside) by a set of inferential methods, in the case of calculus, the various rules and methods.

While a mathematics student would learn the rules just as an engineering student would, it's not important for the engineering student to learn about the actual nature of the system - or even that it is a system to begin with - because the engineer uses mathematics for its practical utility, while the mathematician justifies and develops mathematics.
Yeah I get that, it made sense to me from the original quote haha.
Old 06-07-2011 at 11:41 AM   #18
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashPlague View Post
sooo.....

Garbardo and Stelvitella then, LOL
There's a website where you can read prof reviews made by students (ratemyprof)

Gabardo : http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/Sh...sp?tid=2 6955

I wouldn't rely too much on those review tho.

Last edited by Icecream : 06-07-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2011 at 11:47 AM   #19
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parminder S View Post
Yeah I get that, it made sense to me from the original quote haha.
Haha, that second post was a (failed) attempt to convert you to the dark (i.e. mathematical) side. I was hoping that you'd go "WHAT? I'M NOT A COMPUTER" and sign up for math 4L03

Old 06-07-2011 at 11:51 AM   #20
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
He's in Electrical and Biomedical Engineering, I don't think he can do that.

Wait... I should get ignored for pointing that out.
Old 06-07-2011 at 12:02 PM   #21
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashPlague View Post
Hey guys, with my course registration opening soon I was just taking a look at my courses and the instructors I could take.

The only courses I really have a choice in are MATH 2Z03 and 2ZZ3.

Based on what my timetable looks like I can pretty much choose freely between Gabardo, Wolkowicz and Atena for 2Z03 and between Garbardo and Stelvitella for 2ZZ3.

So do you guys have any experience with these profs? Anyone I should lean towards/avoid?
All 3 of the 2Z03 cores are at the same time, so if you do end up picking a prof you dont like, stop going to his lecture I guess
Old 06-07-2011 at 12:12 PM   #22
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

Wolkowicz is a nice teacher, but she literally makes a mistake on the board like every 2 minutes, and I'm not even exaggerating. She means well and wants students to learn, but it got pretty annoying that after every few lines/steps, she would be like "oh. wait a second. *finds mistake* now why didn't anybody tell me?!?!?!!?!" I can't recall a single class that wasn't like that.
Old 06-07-2011
Mowicz
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-07-2011 at 03:20 PM   #23
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

You're never going to class after the first week anyway so why bother?
Old 06-07-2011 at 03:34 PM   #24
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

better off learning the material yourself... or better yet in a group a people... its not hard, just takes some practice.
Old 06-07-2011 at 07:31 PM   #25
Sxefmachine

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
EDIT : Funny how you are also using the Ignore list. I did not attack you in away way. Rather I attacked your claim that engineering students make physical objects in math classes. This is not true but you seem to be so arrogant, you don't want to admit your mistake. I am not forcing you to reply a question. You are now using pathetic tactics while you could have just ignored my first post.
Score: +1.

I don't understand why people run away like that.
Old 06-07-2011 at 07:42 PM   #26
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Choose a prof who teaches at a time you want to take a break from the days work and relax coz you ain't going to class after 1st week. Trust me, you will be fine if you do the practice problems in time. Going to class will only confuse you more.
Old 06-07-2011 at 10:26 PM  
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.