MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Political Science MalK Academics 6 05-03-2012 01:02 AM
Psychology and Social Psychology questions LC20 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 03-29-2011 03:41 PM
Is Psychology courses considered as a Social Science course? VoyozooT Academics 4 06-08-2010 11:38 PM
CA needed to remain in social sciences - political science Maudjee22 Academics 3 12-26-2009 01:18 AM

Social Psychology vs Political Science?

Old 06-14-2012 at 04:02 PM   #1
jackaroo192

Liked: 0 Times

Social Psychology vs Political Science?
What major do you think is more interesting in your opinion and why? In addition, which do you think may be more "practical" or better for career opportunities?
Old 06-14-2012 at 04:13 PM   #2
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Political Science is more because it affects everything from international laws to local health care and education. To study political science is to look back at past laws and why they were implemented and to see how current laws have been/have not been an improvement from the past. You also have different opinions on whether we have too much government or too little. debates are central and encouraged so that everyone has a chance to voice their opinions and support them with facts. As for a major in political science, both tutorials and lectures encourage people to voice their opinions no matter their political views. For "practical" reasons, I want to be a lawyer, so this is the best major. You can also become involved in local governments or if you want to be an MP or even prime minister, it helps to know about politics I find psychology is a lot of "what ifs" and I dropped the first year psychology course because I found it really boring. In the end, to replace psychology, I took health and aging and decided to have a double major.

jackaroo192 says thanks to Misspolitics for this post.

jackaroo192 likes this.
Old 06-14-2012 at 04:16 PM   #3
merc67

Liked: 17 Times

soc psych hands down but I'm biased haha (I can't tell you the difference as I'm in socpsych), join the society on facebook and you'll have access to people who are in the society and who, like yourself, are possibly looking to enter the program.
We've answered this question and many more like requirements and such.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/socpsychsoc/

As for career opportunities see http://www.socialpsychology. org/facq.htm

Any other questions feel free to message me!

As for a gneral answer I beelive social psycology has a lot to offfer. The problem with the first year class is that it really does not touch on what social psychology is. As you have probably have researched social psychology is the study of how people think and relate to one another in a social context. Unless it's radically changed, The first year program really prepares you for the PNB program which focuses on the indiviudal well social psycholgoy, like political sci, focuses on social issues which opens doors for many more opportunities not forcing you to specialized in one area. Additionally although the program is 18units soc, 18 units psychology it allows you to take a wide variety of electives and multidisciplinary from the social scienes and humanities opening you mind to endless possibilities. Furthermore, if you love political science your probably able to minor in it allowing to to go into laws and reform etc. Overall, the program really allows you to tailor your education to your interests.

Hope you join the society, and remember follow your heart not the $ (not that psychologists don't make a lot haha)

Last edited by merc67 : 06-14-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: adding more

jackaroo192 says thanks to merc67 for this post.

jackaroo192 likes this.
Old 06-14-2012 at 06:43 PM   #4
jackaroo192

Misspolitics - My goal is to get into law school and become a lawyer as my first choice of career. However, I'm not sure if I am consider poli sci because most common b.a. in law school is poli sci. That said I think social psychology is appears to be more interesting to myself. What are your thoughts?
Old 06-14-2012 at 06:46 PM   #5
jackaroo192

merc67 - Can you become a psychologist with a base degree in Social Psychology? Also, PSYCH 1X03 is one of the prerequisites I will have to take in first year. I did not take Biology in grade 11 or 12 and have little science knowledge, in addition, I did not take a 4U Math in grade 12. Will I be expected to have prior knowledge of either of these for this course. Or will I be able to pick up the necessary bio and simple math formulas quickly during the course? Thanks for your help!
Old 06-14-2012 at 06:50 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaroo192 View Post
merc67 - Can you become a psychologist with a base degree in Social Psychology? Also, PSYCH 1X03 is one of the prerequisites I will have to take in first year. I did not take Biology in grade 11 or 12 and have little science knowledge, in addition, I did not take a 4U Math in grade 12. Will I be expected to have prior knowledge of either of these for this course. Or will I be able to pick up the necessary bio and simple math formulas quickly during the course? Thanks for your help!
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...6.html?t=61536
Old 06-14-2012 at 06:54 PM   #7
jackaroo192

why did you post a link to a different thread of my own... not helpful input...
Old 06-14-2012 at 07:43 PM   #8
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Misspolitics - My goal is to get into law school and become a lawyer as my first choice of career. However, I'm not sure if I am consider poli sci because most common b.a. in law school is poli sci. That said I think social psychology is appears to be more interesting to myself. What are your thoughts?
I think that law school promotes a well rounded person. I think it's good to have some more political background because it is our political system that lawyers use to do their job. I believe that it would be easier to learn in an undergraduate degree than taking a crash course before law school. That said, if you find social psychology more interesting, then I believe that you should listen to what you feel. For myself, I am very interested in politics and even outside of school, politics is central in my life. I can say the same about gerontology where I care about the work that I accomplish. Is it possible to do a combined program, or if you are still unsure, try taking a second year poli sci course to see how you feel about it. the first year political science course is very different and is not representative of upper year courses. The Canadian course is good, and so is the Global Political economy course. In the end, listen to yourself. Law school is very understanding, and it takes more than a politics degree to make a lawyer.

jackaroo192 says thanks to Misspolitics for this post.

jackaroo192 likes this.
Old 06-14-2012 at 07:47 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
why did you post a link to a different thread of my own... not helpful input...
Lol I wasn't even paying attention to the usernames (I usually don't). I just noticed that someone else had very recently asked a similar question and directed you to that thread to avoid having the same discussion twice simultaneously, which is pointless. I didn't realize you were repeating your own question after people had already addressed it.
Old 06-14-2012 at 07:56 PM   #10
Con19

Liked: 4 Times

As a poli sci major planning on going to law school i'm obviously biased. However, one of the most common law school undergrads is philosophy because they have to read so much. That being said, poli sci is great because the specialties (IR, Public Policy, theory, Canadian & Comparative) allow for a broad education base and are not just focused on learning about Canadian government structures. Poli sci encompasses NGO's, private industry, government (local, federal, global) and provides a basis for tons of careers.

Also not to bash the fantastic people in psych but i've seen this a few times:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co m/2011...l_P sychology

Psychology is listed numerous times.

jackaroo192 says thanks to Con19 for this post.

jackaroo192 likes this.
Old 06-14-2012 at 08:30 PM   #11
merc67

Quote:

Hey,

Yeah you can become a psychologist: any type albeit social, clinical, evolutionary, industrial organizational whatever interests you. Really to get into anything post grad all it takes is great marks, a great GRE score/ LSAT/GMAT whatever you need to become your dream, and great references. Do not think that you need to have a bachelors degree that is a direct correlate to your post grad dream, of course it helps as you know the information but if you want to become a lawyer after social psychology i'd work because you have the foundational knowledge of how humans interact, and you can take courses like deviance, the human group etc, and possibly minor in political science all which may interest you and guide you along your path. Seriously though first year you have the option of taking a wide array of courses you may find that you fall in love with econ or anthro something that you've never considered and change your mind completely (just keep an open mind, it's the university experience )

Additionally, to answer about math social science requires no previous math or science knowledge. Although you are taking psychology from the science department/program, none of the courses involve calculations or math for that matter. The most "scientific" course i took was probably abnormal and that's because of the anatomy it kind of referenced haha.
You are required to take SocSci 2J03 which is a stats course but I've heard it's likened to gr 11 math and i don't think that the average was below a 70, nor was it hard. And if you do have trouble the professors great and there is also a math help center on campus.
So overall to answer that, math is very little to none at all throughout your experience and as for biology, there's some anatomy but that's all extremely easy to learn throughout the courses you take.

Best of luck with your decision and first year!

Last edited by merc67 : 06-14-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling

jackaroo192 likes this.
Old 06-14-2012 at 09:54 PM   #12
merc67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con19 View Post
As a poli sci major planning on going to law school i'm obviously biased. However, one of the most common law school undergrads is philosophy because they have to read so much. That being said, poli sci is great because the specialties (IR, Public Policy, theory, Canadian & Comparative) allow for a broad education base and are not just focused on learning about Canadian government structures. Poli sci encompasses NGO's, private industry, government (local, federal, global) and provides a basis for tons of careers.

Also not to bash the fantastic people in psych but i've seen this a few times:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co m/2011...l_P sychology

Psychology is listed numerous times.

http://www.apa.org/news/press/response/employment-data.aspx

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...00 129AAN40RN

Last edited by merc67 : 06-14-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add a link

jackaroo192 likes this.
Old 06-14-2012 at 10:08 PM   #13
jackaroo192

nerual - I was not getting feedback, and hold back on the sass bro, I am just trying to a variety of input, all people were talking about was economics
Old 06-14-2012 at 10:10 PM   #14
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
nerual - I was not getting feedback, and hold back on the sass bro, I am just trying to a variety of input, all people were talking about was economics
Lol sass? over the internet? You don't even know me. And I'm not your bro.

There were posts talking about psychology, and how you don't need bio, etc. I linked you to those because I didn't realize they were your posts to begin with, and they answer your question. That's really all there is to it.
Old 06-14-2012 at 10:16 PM   #15
jackaroo192

Yeah no kidding, It's a term people usually use in a general context, but I agree we aren't. In addition, I had one person answer about psych in one brief sentence. Which is fine, but I wanted to hear a variety of in depth opinions and advice on poli sci and social psych, hence the thread name. Since people here are in social psychology unlike the other thread I brought up my question from the economics thread, so hop off.

Last edited by jackaroo192 : 06-14-2012 at 10:23 PM.