MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Political Science MalK Academics 6 05-03-2012 01:02 AM
Psychology and Social Psychology questions LC20 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 03-29-2011 03:41 PM
Is Psychology courses considered as a Social Science course? VoyozooT Academics 4 06-08-2010 11:38 PM
CA needed to remain in social sciences - political science Maudjee22 Academics 3 12-26-2009 01:18 AM

Social Psychology vs Political Science?

Old 06-14-2012 at 10:27 PM   #16
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaroo192 View Post
Yeah no kidding, It's a term people usually use in a general context, but I agree we aren't. In addition, I had one person answer about psych in one brief sentence. Which is fine, but I wanted to hear a variety of in depth opinions and advice on of poli sci and social psych, hence the thread name. Since people here are in social psychology unlike the other thread I brought it up, so hop off.
LOL

And I don't mean that in any type of insulting way at all. Just that it got really off topic and I looked at the thread title when I read that to confirm.

Too many threads on psych. I give up trying to keep them straight.

And yeah, I *hate* being called bro.

But anyways, social psych and poli sci are pretty different. Poli sci is like the default lawyer major, and I can understand why, but I think social psych would be more useful...although I guess it sort of depends what sort of lawyer you are. In terms of getting into law school, neither will really give you an advantage over the other, so it doesn't really matter. Take the first year courses and see how you like them.
Old 06-14-2012 at 10:32 PM   #17
Con19

Liked: 4 Times

... take intropsych and beware Dr. Kim
Old 06-14-2012 at 11:13 PM   #18
merc67

Liked: 17 Times

Another point to consider, socpsych is a competitive program (although i'm assuming all programs have this), where even if you have the req grades to get into second year and have taken psych 1x03 and soc 1a06 because it takes about 30-40 students a year you may not get in. I'm not sure what other programs take come second year but i've heard most take more. So just keep your grades up and as a suggestion maybe take the inquiry course if its not filled as that's a highly recommended course as posted on the course calender.

Don't stress about it though, first year/ university is about personal growth as long as your balanced with sleep, friends, exercise etc. the grades will work out. (ovi personal advice) take as much as you can from university as the four years go by soooo fast!

Good Luck in the coming year!
Old 06-15-2012 at 10:19 AM   #19
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

You might be interested in the new program the philosophy department is starting up: Justice, Political Philosophy, and Law. I don't think it's running quite yet, but probably next year. They've created two new courses, Philos 2Q03 and 2S03, for this year.

http://www.mcmaster.ca/univsec/mtgdo..._UGC_MTG. pdf
Old 06-15-2012 at 01:26 PM   #20
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

I'm in Social Psych and I really like the program so far. No bio or math course is required for admission to Soc Psych, just Psych 1X03 and Sociology 1A06. If you're trying to decide which you would be more interested in, take the new Intro to Social Psychology course that they have this year, SOC PSY 1Z03, as well as the program requirements for both Poli Sci and Soc Psych. There are also some upper year Poli Sci courses in the Soc Psych program that you can take from the multidisciplinary list later on. Overall, Soc Psych is a multidisciplinary program so you learn a lot from different areas, not just Psych and Sociology.