MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kinesiology: Science Electives Jellybeanz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-16-2010 04:58 PM
Life Science vs. Kinesiology Kyle 24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 06-09-2010 03:47 PM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
Kinesiology over Science? jamiebenyovi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 05-12-2010 07:06 PM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM

social science and kinesiology

Old 11-15-2009 at 09:37 PM   #1
Chase1313

Liked: 0 Times

social science and kinesiology
"Honours Bachelor of Kinesiology through the Faculty of Social Sciences. "

I was reading this on the Mcmaster website..i was wondering if this is still true? If in second year social science i can attain a kinesiology major?
Old 11-15-2009 at 09:46 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

As long as you fulfill the requirements, you'll be good to go.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1580.html

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALENDAR/current/pg1708.html

The first one is a B.Sc, and the second B.Kin - but it is being phased out. If you entered Kinesiology in 2007 or 2008 you can still major in it.
Old 11-15-2009 at 10:56 PM   #3
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

If you're in Kin already, you can pick between a Science or Social Science degree. I don't know if it would be possible if you're in Soc Sci already (unless you want to transfer).
Old 11-16-2009 at 08:55 AM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Note: This does not mean social science students can choose to study Kinesiology...Kinesio logy is its own program, and its courses (particularly the upper level ones) are exclusive (for the most part) to those enrolled in Kin, or with good reasons for taking them (ie. some psych students will take Neuroscience).

What it means is that students who are in Kinesiology can choose to make their program science-based (focusing more on say, biomechanics, rehab, nutrition, etc.), or social-science-based (focusing more on say, the history of sports medicine, or coaching). This is because Kin is so broad, and really does cross over into both faculties.

(However, I believe they're phasing out the 'social science' option, and Kin is now being moved entirely into science)
Old 11-16-2009 at 04:25 PM   #5
stargazer710

kinesiology program
Hi,
i am interested in the Kinesiology program offered at McMaster and i was wondering if i can get in:
calc: 90
ad Fun: 90

English: currently an 86
Chem: 78 -but can get it to an 85 hopefully
Biology: 77- can push it into the 80s

around what marks do i need or should i aim for??
the math courses are completed where as the english, bio and chem are what i am taking this semester.
next semester, i am taking physics, data, and morality
but should i take a comp sci course as a mark booster instead of my spare?

and generally how is the program, do you think i can finish it?
Are there any course/things that make Kin stand out because im considering neuroscience as well.
thanks!
Old 11-16-2009 at 05:08 PM   #6
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

It's all listed on the mcmaster website but...

The required courses from high school are:
English
Advanced Functions or Calculus
Biology
+ 3 other U/M courses

The range this year is anticipated (I say anticipated because last year it went up a lot from the anticipated) 85-87. So if you're in the range I'd say you're good, higher is even better.

I chose kin because first year you get to take courses like physical activity epidemiology, nutrition, anatomy + physiology, psychomotor behaviour... courses directly related to health care which is what I'm really interested in.

Something to remember when choosing between Life Science & Kin is since kinesiology is in the faculty of science we can take any of the life science courses (biology, chemistry, psychology) but in life science they can only take our anatomy - you can't take the epidemiology or nutrition or anything unless you're in the kinesiology program.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by mac-gal : 11-16-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2009 at 07:01 PM   #7
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

Do you know what you want to do after university? A lot of Kin students are going into health care (physio, athletic therapy, medicine), coaching, teaching, etc. There's an option to minor in Psychology while in Kin if both interest you.

Last year the cutoff average was 87%, I don't know what it was for this year.
Old 11-17-2009 at 04:22 PM   #8
kk_mm

For Kin, if i take both math and calc in grade 12 will they both be included in my top six? Or if one is lower will it be removed out of my top six?
Old 11-17-2009 at 04:39 PM   #9
maya_kanani

Liked: 1 Time

I know for that my class (Class of 2012) was the last year of kin that could choose to do a science degree or a social science degree. As far as we've been told, it's been completely phased out because to be honest, kin students do as much science as those in the Faculty of Science.

And you have to start in first year kin regardless of what faculty you are from, unless you have transferred from another school where you were studying kin. They're pretty strict about that.

As for why I chose kin, I chose it because I love biology, sports, and science, and it is the perfect blend for those three hobbies in particular. I also know that when I finish my degree, I'm eligible to be a kinesiologist and get started working as a professional

The cut-off this year was I believe an 88%

Old 11-17-2009 at 08:04 PM   #10
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk_mm View Post
For Kin, if i take both math and calc in grade 12 will they both be included in my top six? Or if one is lower will it be removed out of my top six?
If you take more than 6 grade 12 U/M courses, only one of advanced functions or calculus (whichever if higher) will be used in the calculation of your average.

However, if you take only 6 courses (as most people do) then both advanced functions and calculus will be included in your average.

Your biology mark and english mark will also be included in your top 6 because they are prerequisites for the program.

The final 3 marks are your next 3 highest grade 12 U/M courses.