MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Science 2Q03 sinthusized 2nd Year Course Reviews 14 08-07-2014 01:38 PM
Taking Science electives as a Social Science student? gabrielle.lr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-12-2011 11:28 AM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM
Switching from Social Science to Enviromental Science shirvan Academics 5 10-23-2008 09:58 PM

social science course help !!!

Old 06-12-2013 at 06:05 PM   #1
indianprinces

Liked: 0 Times

social science course help !!!
hey guys!
i'm enrolled into social science at mac for sept. and i was wondering how the major/minor thing works. for example, if i want to major in kinesiology or something?

how to choose the coop/internships option? and what kind of coop/internships are available?

what are fun/interesting electives to take first year? (interests are sports, psychology, photography)

and any other tips and course suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-13-2013 at 03:01 PM   #2
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

The courses required for majors and minors vary from one program/department to another but you can find all of that information in the undergraduate course calendar:
You can't do any coops or internships until after you complete SOC SCI 2EL0 in second year, so don't worry about that for now.
Explore the course reviews section of this website, the course descriptions on the social sciences and humanities pages of McMaster's website and figure out what sounds interesting to you.
Use www.timetablegenerato r.com to put together a schedule with the classes you like and pray that they fit together.
Good luck!

bwalsh, indianprinces all say thanks to ashleighp for this post.
Old 06-13-2013 at 03:06 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

In order to major in kinesiology, you'd have to be in the kin program starting from first year. You can transfer in, but it's not easy and many people do end up starting over from first year if they transfer in.

indianprinces says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 06-13-2013 at 03:45 PM   #4
indianprinces

thank you!

i was also wondering if i needed to take SOC SCI 1EL0 in order to take SOC SCI 2EL0 in second year? is it beneficial to take these courses? i really want an internship after second year
Old 06-13-2013 at 03:48 PM   #5
Malka

Liked: 10 Times

Hey! I don't think you need to take Soc Sci 1EL0 in order to take Soc Sci 2EL0

indianprinces says thanks to Malka for this post.
Old 06-13-2013 at 03:56 PM   #6
indianprinces

last question i promise...

any suggestions for interesting electives for first year social science (i have no clue what i want to major/minor in)

and when do i need to decide my major/minor?
Old 06-14-2013 at 07:34 AM   #7
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

You don't decide your major until April of next year and you can declare a minor any time before you graduate, once you have the required courses. Everyone is going to have a different answer for which courses are interesting - I obviously love geography and would encourage you to take the intro geography classes because they give you a good idea of how the information you learn in other social science classes can be used in real world applications.

indianprinces says thanks to ashleighp for this post.
Old 06-14-2013 at 09:47 AM   #8
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times

I would get your humanities out of the way, social science requires you to take 6 units. History, religious studies, english. Take first year psych, socio, anthro,
If your looking into kin then check to see what their mandatories are in order to take second year. You may be required to take science.
It kind of all depends on what you want to do after or least narrow it down to three options.

indianprinces says thanks to wonderstruck for this post.
Old 06-14-2013 at 10:28 AM   #9
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderstruck View Post
I would get your humanities out of the way, social science requires you to take 6 units. History, religious studies, english. Take first year psych, socio, anthro,
If your looking into kin then check to see what their mandatories are in order to take second year. You may be required to take science.
It kind of all depends on what you want to do after or least narrow it down to three options.
Actually, Religious Studies falls under Social Sciences. So it probably wouldn't work as a requirement in Humanities. On the other hand, Religious Studies is a very interesting field, and a very reputable department. Real mind-developing stuff, like a university education should be, not like that vocational training that plumbers and bean-counters go for.

indianprinces says thanks to oldviking for this post.
Old 06-14-2013 at 07:58 PM   #10
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times

Yes it is under social sciences but some departments require 6 units of humanities or religious studies
So if your gearing at kin your better off finding out what you need sciences, math etc.