MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM
Social Science electives deeO General Discussion 8 06-30-2009 01:56 PM
Easy first-year Social Sciences Electives? Mr.Prodigy Academics 6 12-08-2008 07:36 AM
Switching from Social Science to Enviromental Science shirvan Academics 5 10-23-2008 09:58 PM

Social Science Electives

Old 07-01-2008 at 01:50 PM   #1
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Social Science Electives
Hey everyone, im a social science student and SOLAR opens up for us on July 4th.

Im having a hard time picking electives and some advice would be greatly appreaciated.

Here's a list of courses i am planning on taking (rough idea, and i still need one more course to make 30 units)

POL SCI 1G06
ECON 1B03
ECON 1BB3
ANTHROP 1A03
LABR ST 1A03
SOCIOL 1A06
GEOG 1HA3

I want to take economics, but is there a math required with them? iv gone through the course calendar many times and it does not say i need too, and i really hope i dont have to because i am extremley bad in maths (60's to be honest)

And if i do, can somebody send me the link where it tells me what electives are necessary if i take these courses, for example i know Pshych students need math and or bio.

Your help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-01-2008 at 02:27 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Did you take Data Mangement in high school? Many of the soc sci disiplines (Anthro being one for sure) require a statistics (year two or after). I know Poli Sci does as well, and I think Labour Studies too. This is of course if you want to major in them.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 07-01-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2008 at 02:31 PM   #3
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggedman View Post
Hey everyone, im a social science student and SOLAR opens up for us on July 4th.

Im having a hard time picking electives and some advice would be greatly appreaciated.

Here's a list of courses i am planning on taking (rough idea, and i still need one more course to make 30 units)

POL SCI 1G06
ECON 1B03
ECON 1BB3
ANTHROP 1A03
LABR ST 1A03
SOCIOL 1A06
GEOG 1HA3

I want to take economics, but is there a math required with them? iv gone through the course calendar many times and it does not say i need too, and i really hope i dont have to because i am extremley bad in maths (60's to be honest)

And if i do, can somebody send me the link where it tells me what electives are necessary if i take these courses, for example i know Pshych students need math and or bio.

Your help on this would be greatly appreciated.
We are like twins, that schedule almost mirrors what I had. You will enjoy all those courses, watch out for anthropology though.
Old 07-01-2008 at 02:35 PM   #4
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Yes both Econs require math, but not calculus or anything like that.. multiplication, simple math like that. If you want to major in Economics, you'll need both stats and calc at some point.
Old 07-01-2008 at 03:12 PM   #5
Ruggedman

Too reply to the second post, Yes i did take Data Management in High School, although i didn't very well in it so i am kind of concerned.

And i want to take economics because i found it very interesting in high school, i dont plan on majoring in it, my major is going to Political Science.

As for first year though, what Math is required with the economics i am taking, or is it only necessary if i plan on majoring in them?

Also where is this information found, i have not yet seen any prerequisites for the courses i am planning on taking.
Old 07-01-2008 at 03:13 PM   #6
Ruggedman

It just gives me some anitrequisites but i dont even know what that is, and if i need a math credit for first year economics, what should i drop instead?
Old 07-01-2008 at 04:43 PM   #7
samantha__
Elite Member

You don't need a math credit for first year economics. You need a math credit for upper year economics though. So if you're planning on taking upper year Econ, you will need credit in Grade 12 Data Management or whatever they're calling it these days (Finite Math?) AND Grade 12 Calc or Calc 1K03.
An anti-requisite is a course you can't take if you've already taken one that's equivalent to it. An example would be.. Math 1A03 and Math 1M03. They're practically the same class, so you can't take both.
Old 07-02-2008 at 12:25 AM   #8
Ruggedman

Can I select electives from other programs, such as humanities or art and science, or all 30 units that i am required to take have to come from Social Sciences course 1 list??
Old 07-02-2008 at 05:45 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Only Arts Sci students can take Arts Sci courses. But you can take classes from Humanities and Science provided you meet any prerequisites.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-02-2008 at 06:50 PM   #10
Ruggedman

I am in Social Sciences I, and my major is political science. The only thing i am required to take is POL SCI 1G06 correct? and everything else is an elective for first year?
Old 07-03-2008 at 11:34 AM   #11
samantha__
Elite Member

Yeppers. Admission into Honours Poli Sci is Completion of any Level I program with a Cumulative Average of at least 6.0 including a grade of at least B- in POL SCI 1G06.
Old 07-03-2008 at 11:17 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

What does it say in the undergrad calendar RuggedMan?