MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Science electives as a Social Science student? gabrielle.lr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-12-2011 11:28 AM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
First Year Social Science Chambini First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 04-25-2010 12:38 PM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM
Switching from Social Science to Enviromental Science shirvan Academics 5 10-23-2008 09:58 PM

Social Science Reinstatement

Old 08-17-2011 at 12:05 PM   #1
hellomac

Liked: 0 Times

Social Science Reinstatement
Hello,

I received an academic probation and will be taking online courses through Athabasca University.
I was just wondering if anyone knew how likely I'll be reinstated into my program?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011 at 12:15 PM   #2
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Depends how much you want it.
Old 08-17-2011 at 12:27 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomac View Post
Hello,

I received an academic probation and will be taking online courses through Athabasca University.
I was just wondering if anyone knew how likely I'll be reinstated into my program?

Thanks.
Do you mean academic suspension? Because if you are under academic probation you are still a student. You are required to improve your CA during the year you are on probation.
Old 08-17-2011 at 02:54 PM   #4
Johnny162

Liked: 16 Times

Your last grade report should say either "May continue on academic probation" or "may not continue university". If it is the first one, that means you have one year to bring your marks up to an acceptable average, or you will recieve the second message and no longer be allowed to continue. If you get that message, or have already, you will have to apply for reinstatment, however the time has long since passed for this year. I suggest you try and get high marks in those Athabasca courses, maybe some work experience? Take this year to re-evaluate what you want from your education and figure out how you will plan to achieve it. The more prepared you are to come back the better your re-instatement letter will look, especially if you have completed courses. Good Luck!
Old 08-17-2011 at 11:21 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomac View Post
Hello,

Thanks.
Depends on how well you do, how much you can demonstrate you've "changed" and whether you've actually put thought into the letter. Do the courses, work, try to volunteer if you can - show them you were not wasting you time on probation and that you can handle university.

Not to sound nasty, but if you've been kicked out, maybe the program isn't for you? Maybe try to work somewhere and get some experience - maybe you'd rather be in another field altogether. Maybe there are some college programs that might suit you better (they tend to be more specific)?