MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B.A. in Social Sciences? Days Academics 2 05-28-2013 12:48 PM
Course Help - Social Sciences steph.elle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-27-2010 08:32 PM
Social Sciences - Last Second Help Ruggedman Academics 1 07-03-2008 11:31 AM

Social Sciences

Old 06-06-2013 at 05:35 PM   #1
Marvelous

Liked: 0 Times

Social Sciences
Hello, I am new student to this school, and I would like to ask a question, how much does it cost to buy a textbook for Social Science? I'd like to know as well if there's anything else I should prepare myself to look for.
And if you have any advice on how to get them, I'll be happy to hear them.
Old 06-06-2013 at 05:39 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Depends on the courses you take, but be prepared to spend somewhere between 500 a semester for books. The blooklist gets released in the summer, but don't buy any books until the first class in case you decide to drop it, or buy any books that aren't required readings. You can get them at the Campus Store, but that's where you'll pay a hefty price, you can check the MI Marketplace, Facebook, sometimes you can find them on Amazon.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 06-06-2013 at 06:47 PM   #3
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

wait until after you go to your classes to buy your textbook and there will be tons of upper years looking to sell their old ones for much cheaper than what you'll pay at the campus store. there is a facebook group and also a "marketplace" on this site that people use to sell their old textbooks.
Old 06-06-2013 at 06:51 PM   #4
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

You won't even need a textbook in half your classes.

Be smart and only buy the text if it's absolutely necessary, and even then see if you can split the cost with a friend or something. Never waste $500 on books (even $300 is way too much imo).
Old 06-07-2013 at 10:26 AM   #5
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Check out www.abebooks.com for textbooks. I've managed to get $160 books for less than $40 on there.