MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Sciences Marvelous First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-07-2013 10:26 AM
Social Sciences KBrunson First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-31-2010 02:14 PM
Social Sciences - Last Second Help Ruggedman Academics 1 07-03-2008 11:31 AM

Social Sciences Help.....!!

Old 12-23-2013 at 11:14 AM   #1
zainab_g

Liked: 0 Times

Social Sciences Help.....!!
hELLO GUYS, I AM CURRENTLY A HIGH SCHOOL STUDEnt. And im passionate about psychology, thats why i am considering social science at Mcmaster, but i would like to know what was the cut off average of student in 2013 and how is social science at Mcmaster
Old 01-24-2014 at 09:55 AM   #2
fatimaa

Liked: 4 Times

This is a bit late but,
cut off average last year I believe was 75%.

First year is pretty broad, when I mean broad I mean you have a lot of options. (12 unit mandatory courses from Social Sciences, and 18 unit electives). I actually really like it so far because it lets me discover and explore different options in the Social Sciences and with some limitations, other faculties as well. For example, I was able to take life science and humanities courses.

As far as difficulty is concerned, it's not that hard. I enjoy most of the material I learn so I'm able to stay engaged. However, don't take this as a pass to slack!
Old 01-24-2014 at 09:08 PM   #3
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab_g View Post
hELLO GUYS, I AM CURRENTLY A HIGH SCHOOL STUDEnt. And im passionate about psychology, thats why i am considering social science at Mcmaster, but i would like to know what was the cut off average of student in 2013 and how is social science at Mcmaster
Go to U of T for social sciences. It's a very underdeveloped program at Mac.
Old 01-26-2014 at 02:19 PM   #4
fafatima

Liked: 0 Times

I'm pretty positive that U of T's Social Sciences program does not include Psychology. I was interested in them but realized that you can only get a Bachelor of Science in Psychology.
With that said, you need to think about what you are interested in doing with Psychology. If you are interested in the biology + science part of it, there's always the B of Sc at UofT and McMaster (Life Sciences). Typically, the PNB program at Mac for Bachelor of Arts and Science students are the same but with Social Sciences, you just need to take Calculus (and Grade 12 Biology is fine as prerequisite) compared to the Sciences.
I like the Social Sciences program mostly cause I just enjoy ALL the Social Sciences! I can't really say much cause I don't know how other schools are but it's not amazing but it's not bad either. Lots of readings and writing to be expected. But I prefer it much better than the Sciences where you'd have to take Chemistry and Biology. (Cut off average is usually around 75%, not very hard to get in)
Old 01-31-2014 at 11:33 AM   #5
laura1265

Liked: 7 Times

The psychology program at Mac is brand new, but I highly recommend it and think it is doing great things. To get into first social science I think the cut off of 77% and then to get into second year is psychology neuroscience and behavior (PNB) the cut of usually between 7 and 8 (70-73%). I wouldn't recommend the program if you are not at all a science person, the program is very science base since both the life sci and the soc sci students take the same core course . Also you need grade 12 calc and one in first year. Also grade 12 biology is not a prerequisite but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. If you are more interested in clinical psychology, you might want to think of other schools.