Introduce Yourself! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 06-08-2010 03:41 PM

SOCS - Introduce yourself!

Old 07-15-2010 at 05:02 PM   #31
cory_1991

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilylune View Post
Whoo SOCS!

Hey Cory, nice seeing you again I was going to respond again to your other thread but decided to just post here instead. (And wow, History was the subject I did horrible in no matter how hard I tried. )

Are all of you commuting from home? Or just from somewhere offcampus? If sooo how much are you guys paying/how far?
Hey Laura

How are you? Personally, I am commuting from home just because it's convinient and its saving money. Im planning to buy a house from second year so Im asking around to see roughly how much it should cost. What are you doind for your first year? What are your courses like? :p

Cory
Old 07-15-2010 at 05:12 PM   #32
Lilylune

Liked: Liked 2 Times

@Cory:

I'm pretty good, how about you? Haha I would commute from home too except where I am right now is 3 hours away. But yeah for first year I'm going to live in an apartment with my sister and her boyfriend. Split the costs, it should be around $360? Bus stop is around the corner too so it's nice.

I'm going into Medical Radiation first year. It's kinda weird because only 150 people get accepted every year so I'm going to have to make some good study friends, huh? :O I looked around on forums though and it seems that a lot of my courses aren't that bad (apart from some weekly quizzes and tests on saturdays. D: ) It's too bad we don't have any courses together though! Maybe we'll see each other on campus sometime, anyways?
Old 07-15-2010 at 06:01 PM   #33
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Ryan, third year, commuting from east of McMaster ('North End'), by bike or bus, I like vidya gemes and random sports, and thats about it.

Not sporting SOC(k)S right now but I plan on maybe getting involved with them when school starts

Yay summer.
Old 07-15-2010 at 06:24 PM   #34
cory_1991

Quote:
@Cory:

I'm pretty good, how about you? Haha I would commute from home too except where I am right now is 3 hours away. But yeah for first year I'm going to live in an apartment with my sister and her boyfriend. Split the costs, it should be around $360? Bus stop is around the corner too so it's nice.

I'm going into Medical Radiation first year. It's kinda weird because only 150 people get accepted every year so I'm going to have to make some good study friends, huh? :O I looked around on forums though and it seems that a lot of my courses aren't that bad (apart from some weekly quizzes and tests on saturdays. D: ) It's too bad we don't have any courses together though! Maybe we'll see each other on campus sometime, anyways?
Hey,
Im pretty good lol. WOW. Congrats on getting into Medical Radiation!! Thats pretty crazy! Im pretty sure there were a couple of hundred students accepted into Hunaities I, but Im still proud and excited aha. No worries though, yeah I'm sure we'll see each other around campus, or you can just message me on the forum lol.

Talk to you soon?

Cory
Old 07-15-2010 at 06:26 PM   #35
cory_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Ryan, third year, commuting from east of McMaster ('North End'), by bike or bus, I like vidya gemes and random sports, and thats about it.

Not sporting SOC(k)S right now but I plan on maybe getting involved with them when school starts

Yay summer.
Hey Ryan,

Welcome and thanks for the post! Im sure you got a good idea of the concepts at Mac, but it probably wouldn't hurt to join SOCS? It should be fun and informative...

Anyway, nice to meet you!

Cory
Old 07-15-2010 at 06:36 PM   #36
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Hey guys!

Glad to see you all getting to know each other a bit.

My name's Richard

I'll be "commuting" from emerson street across from the Hospital.

I'm a 3rd year Honors Bio (minor in Econ) involved in the SRA, Bio Society, SWHAT, ThinkRecycle, etc. If you need something, just let me know, I'll probably be able to direct you to the right person at the very least.

I'm also the SWHAT coordinator for the upcoming year, so here goes my shameless plug.

For all you off campus students, SWHAT (Student Walk Home Attendant Team) is open from 7pm till 1 am, 7 days a week. We will walk or bus (or even bike) you anywhere within a 30 minute radius of campus.

That means, no more scary walks after night class or down that dark street, no more lonely walks after that library study session, or after that movie at a friends, or after that.... well....you get it.

All you have to do is dial extension 27500 on any school phone (or call the school number (905 525 9140) and then dial ext. 27500 if you're off campus), and we'll send a team of a guy and a girl with a radio and flashlight and SWHAT jackets to walk you on and off campus .

Honestly, I hope you guys use this service because even my own friends are sometimes surprised at how much they absolutely loved having someone to walk home or to school with even if they just enjoyed talking to someone on the walk home.

So make sure to give us a call, or even volunteer if you'd like. Ext. 27500

or you can visit our site (currently being updated) : HERE HERE HERE

Last edited by aviaf : 07-15-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2010 at 07:09 PM   #37
mlangille

Liked: 14 Times

Hey Guys!!!!

Im so pumped you're all getting to know each other. Let me just say SOCS IS AMAZING!- Its an awesome community for off-campus students and although living off-campus is much different experience, you dont feel like youre "missing out" on anything because of SOCS.

Although Andrew covered everything pretty much- if you have any questions feel free to ask me as well. Im also a student affairs amabassador (if you went to an orientation day earlier in the month-we were the ones in the maroon shirts with "McMaster Ambassador" written on the back).

Also, I will second what Richard said about SWHAT- although I live too far away from campus to call them, friends of mine who live closer to campus said it was great having ppl to walk home with so definitely recommend it.

& I hope you guys are getting your MacPasses/ SOCS memberships and are super pumped for WELCOME WEEK!!!!!!!

shay2014 likes this.
Old 07-15-2010 at 07:12 PM   #38
SilverHawley

Liked: 8 Times

YEAH COMMUTERS! xD Great idea for a thread though!

I'm Val and I'm commuting from Mississauga by GO, but it'd be great if I can find some people to carpool with as well ^^

@Shavayah: I'm planning on communications and multimedia as well ^^ I'm taking 4 of the same courses as you too! Study group? xD

@Richard: SWHAT sounds like such a good idea ^^ It gets so scary at night, especially if you're in an unfamiliar city.

shay2014 likes this.
Old 07-15-2010 at 07:46 PM   #39
Boccaccio

Liked: 8 Times

Good topic and great to see the amount of people going to be living off campus next year.

My name is Dan Boccaccio and I will be one of the executive members as your VP Athletics for my second year in a row.

Look forward to meeting all of you in September or I may meet some of you earlier, possibly the following dates

Monday July 19th- mission2mac in Niagara (I will be a speaker and top ten list person)
Tuesday July 20th- mission2mac in Barrie (I will be a speaker)
Wednesday July 28th- mission2mac in Brantford (Again as a speaker)
August - mission2mac at McMaster
Friday August 6th- Welcome day (I will be working the Off Campus Experience table and walking around)

If not I hope to see you welcome week
Old 07-15-2010 at 09:26 PM   #40
Caleb

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
@Cory:

Wow! Med Rad, eh? I have a friend who got into that! Definitely a small program, so congrats!

As for books, I took History 1A03 and 1AA3, and have the books. Took Music 1A03 and 1AA3 as well, but no books. awesome classes though!
Old 07-15-2010 at 09:53 PM   #41
dedust
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Strait from the streets .... i lost my socs .. does this mean i get free ones!!
Old 07-15-2010 at 10:02 PM   #42
Caleb

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_1991 View Post
Hey,

I was wondering if maybe you could give me some details or insider information possibly on some of my courses?

Im taking:
History 1A03
History 1AA3
History 1BB3
Philosophy 1A03
German 1Z06
Music 1A03
Music 1AA3
Religious Studies 1B06

I was also wondering where to find the necessary books that we are supposed to have. Do we have to wait for our day and for our pressor to tell us? And where can I get the cheapest books?

Cory

Hey,
yout list of required and suggested texts will be in the syllabus given out in the first lecture. You can also often find syllabuses online. I believe I got my books first term in august.

The books may be purchased in various locations, some in Titles and the Tank, both of which are in the "arts quad" attached to the student centre, and I had some of mine in a different building, T29, last year. Usually there will be a map and books for specific faculties are in specific spots to start.

As for pricing, there are new and used books available for sale most times, and you can often find deals through upper years who still have theirs. I believe a list is being compiled amongst Socs members as to what books we have available.
Old 07-15-2010 at 10:04 PM   #43
cory_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHawley View Post
YEAH COMMUTERS! xD Great idea for a thread though!

I'm Val and I'm commuting from Mississauga by GO, but it'd be great if I can find some people to carpool with as well ^^

@Shavayah: I'm planning on communications and multimedia as well ^^ I'm taking 4 of the same courses as you too! Study group? xD

@Richard: SWHAT sounds like such a good idea ^^ It gets so scary at night, especially if you're in an unfamiliar city.
Hey Val,

Thanks for commenting to the thread! I just wanted to say hey because I am also in Humanities I! Maybe we have some classes together? If not, maybe Ill see you around campus.

Cheers

Cory
Old 07-15-2010 at 10:06 PM   #44
cory_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Wow! Med Rad, eh? I have a friend who got into that! Definitely a small program, so congrats!

As for books, I took History 1A03 and 1AA3, and have the books. Took Music 1A03 and 1AA3 as well, but no books. awesome classes though!
I am taking all 4 of those courses! Im really excited too. If you are interested in selling those books and they are still in okay shape, let me know! Any help I can get would be great!

Thanks!

Cory
Old 07-15-2010
Caleb
This message has been removed by a moderator. .