MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MECHTRON 3TA4 - Embedded Systems Design I Ownaginatios 3rd Year Course Reviews 5 10-24-2014 12:22 AM
Embedded Systems DarthFuzzy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-20-2011 01:00 AM
Software and Embedded 2nd Year kanishka Academics 0 08-16-2010 07:22 AM
GPA for software-embedded? nikJ Academics 7 10-20-2009 03:51 PM
Software Embedded versus Game Design? Ownaginatios Academics 31 03-20-2009 12:43 PM

Software Engineering (Embedded Systems) Program Capacity

Old 11-08-2011 at 10:55 AM   #1
john1993

Liked: 8 Times

Software Engineering (Embedded Systems) Program Capacity
Software Engineering (Embedded Systems)

Does anyone know what is the maximum number of students they take second year for embedded systems? Is the GPA for Embedded systems really high?

Because I looked at the graduation pictures near the student services, under software there is only like 10-20 students who graduated every year.
Old 11-08-2011 at 12:25 PM   #2
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1993 View Post
Software Engineering (Embedded Systems)

Does anyone know what is the maximum number of students they take second year for embedded systems? Is the GPA for Embedded systems really high?

Because I looked at the graduation pictures near the student services, under software there is only like 10-20 students who graduated every year.
If im not mistaken, software engineering is tied for the lowest Gpa (easiest to get into) so as long as you make into second year you are fine. its often people's second or third choice so thats why the class is so small.

john1993 says thanks to Snowman for this post.

john1993 likes this.
Old 11-08-2011 at 09:54 PM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

you will not be able to find out from upper years. This years group of eng frosh had an absolutely ridiculous jump in numbers (about 900-1400). Second year will probably be expanded, or prepare for a hell of a second semester.

john1993 says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

john1993 likes this.
Old 11-08-2011 at 10:02 PM   #4
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Software in total has relatively fewer students every year ~50 students or so. Most of them are usually Game Design, fewer belong to the Management Stream and Plain Software Stream, and least to the Embedded Stream. In my batch there are only a couple of us.

I guess that's because the Game Design program appeals to most kids than the Embedded Systems program. Both the programs are pretty intense work load wise, but I would say you would have to have genuine interest in Embedded Systems to succeed in it.

So yeah, if you have a 4 on 12 with 37 units, you would most likely be fine to get into Software, Game Design or Embedded Systems. I say 'most likely' because you never know if this year, more students wish to get enrolled in the software program, then the required GPA will obviously go up.

But the minimum GPA requirement by no means indicates that the program isn't good here at Mac. Its just that most people do bad in the first year programming course (Eng 1D04), if they hadn't taken high school programming, that they don't even consider Software as one of their 4 choices.

john1993 says thanks to kanishka for this post.

john1993 likes this.
Old 11-09-2011 at 09:06 AM   #5
john1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishka View Post
Software in total has relatively fewer students every year ~50 students or so. Most of them are usually Game Design, fewer belong to the Management Stream and Plain Software Stream, and least to the Embedded Stream. In my batch there are only a couple of us.

I guess that's because the Game Design program appeals to most kids than the Embedded Systems program. Both the programs are pretty intense work load wise, but I would say you would have to have genuine interest in Embedded Systems to succeed in it.

So yeah, if you have a 4 on 12 with 37 units, you would most likely be fine to get into Software, Game Design or Embedded Systems. I say 'most likely' because you never know if this year, more students wish to get enrolled in the software program, then the required GPA will obviously go up.

But the minimum GPA requirement by no means indicates that the program isn't good here at Mac. Its just that most people do bad in the first year programming course (Eng 1D04), if they hadn't taken high school programming, that they don't even consider Software as one of their 4 choices.

Thank you! That made me feel better, it is just that I am doing bad in Chemistry and Math and I was worried.
I love programming, I did Java and Visual Basic in high school like passed the classes with 98.
Lot of people find 1D04 hard, I have it next sem, I looked at the text book it kinda looks like Turing which is easy I think. Game designing is not my thing, it would involve a lot of art work and embedded system looks really interesting when I saw the second year course listing.

Thank you guys for your kind reply.
Old 11-09-2011 at 09:05 PM   #6
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Trust me on this: if you get above a 5, your guaranteed in Software Engineering. Right know we have only about 35-40 people in software in all programs and everyone I know who applied did not get rejected at all. Everyone who applies gets accepted. Also do no underestimate d04 cause python is unlike the languages you have done and the course is slightly different from a regular programming course. Finally, don't stress to much, you will do fine and get in easily, trust me

john1993 says thanks to g.o.p.a.l for this post.

john1993 likes this.
Old 11-09-2011 at 09:21 PM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

its not the programming thats hard but thedumb questions they asked on the test. i didnt but the "12 hours" ofeffort into that class like we were recommeded to . i did well but than cough cough someone else on this thread.

And yes , dont stress.

john1993 says thanks to MacPack for this post.

john1993 likes this.
Old 11-10-2011 at 01:00 AM   #8
john1993

I have a Physics test on Thursday, Chemistry Friday , Econ Saturday and 1P03 on Tuesday....yea I am not stressing at all. Hopefully I get through this. It kinda looks like they want 1st years to fail ....puting all the test together.

Thank you a lot for reply again guys. off to sleep now good morning lol
Old 11-13-2011 at 01:16 PM   #9
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1993 View Post
I have a Physics test on Thursday, Chemistry Friday , Econ Saturday and 1P03 on Tuesday....yea I am not stressing at all. Hopefully I get through this. It kinda looks like they want 1st years to fail ....puting all the test together.

Thank you a lot for reply again guys. off to sleep now good morning lol
that happens a lot, so what i put all the dates of tests in my phone and if i ever have an easy week, i would start studying ahead so its less stressful when all the tests hit

john1993 says thanks to Snowman for this post.

john1993 likes this.