Software Engineering & Management TheAxtmann Academics 16 06-02-2010 08:20 AM
GPA for software-embedded? nikJ Academics 7 10-20-2009 03:51 PM

Software Engineers

Old 07-04-2009 at 11:00 AM   #1
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Software Engineers
I have a question regarding engineering. In first year we have ENG 1D04. It is a C# programming course. I have been told we also dabble in the linux kernel, and install unix/linux OS's while customizing the kernel. Is this correct?

Reason being, I am thinking about getting a macbook fairly soon as my laptop. My desktop which I will take with me runs XP and Ubuntu. (though ubuntu is going soon, and I will be playing in gentoo). Will the macbook be compatible for the various OS's? I know it's based on Unix, so I am just hoping the hardware compatibility is there.

Furthermore, I am planning on going into the field of Software Engineering second year. Will the Macbook hold up to the compatibility I need for upper-year courses? I am trying to make a wise investment here, so I need to figure these things out. What upper-year courses are heavy on unix/linux development or dabble with the kernel?

thanks
Level IV

Old 07-04-2009 at 12:50 PM   #2
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

as far as i know...macbook's new feature called bootcamp allows you to install any other OS beside leopard...also u can use this software called parallels to run other OS on macbook...this is as far as i know so please wait for someone else to confirm it!!
Old 07-04-2009 at 01:22 PM   #3
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goelk View Post
as far as i know...macbook's new feature called bootcamp allows you to install any other OS beside leopard...also u can use this software called parallels to run other OS on macbook...this is as far as i know so please wait for someone else to confirm it!!
Dual-booting in general is not a problem whatsoever. I am referring more to the hardware specifications, and in specific, if it is reliable for the work needed. Also, compatibility with various linux distros is a big concern.

Thanks anyways!

Old 07-05-2009 at 04:59 AM   #4
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
Dual-booting in general is not a problem whatsoever. I am referring more to the hardware specifications, and in specific, if it is reliable for the work needed. Also, compatibility with various linux distros is a big concern.

Thanks anyways!
not with ubuntu, supports most of the hardware
Old 07-05-2009 at 11:59 AM   #5
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

If you are buying a macbook for dual booting with XP, its a complete waste. I'd rather buy a standard laptop with all the components. The best is at least a 3.0ghz OCed, with a nice graphics card and 4gb DD2. As you will be doing lots of programming, design, sandbox, etc. Be sure to benchmark your computer.

I brought a HP laptop and replaced the integrated graphics card.

Last edited by Bobby66 : 07-05-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:59 PM   #6
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

why is it a waste to buy a macbook for dual booting xp alongside leopard? one can always use leopard for everything else!!
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:12 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Whoever told you that you play with Linux in 1D04 lied. 1D04 is an introductory course for programming in C#.net, or whatever Microsoft calls it.

In regards to compatibility with distros, if your computer is compatible with one, it's generolly compatible with all of them, considering all Linux distributions are based on a more basic distro or directly Unix.

So far, I've found that HP laptops really don't play well with Linux. The power management is really screwed.

Your best option would be something with Nvidia graphics, since they have the best support in Linux. I've heard that ThinkPads and Dells have the best support, probably because that's what most developers have.

Buying a mac just for the "easy" dualboot features is taking the nub way out. :p
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:14 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
I brought a HP laptop and replaced the integrated graphics card.
Your laptop actually has a removable graphics card?
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:30 PM   #9
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Your laptop actually has a removable graphics card?
It had extra PCI-e slot, plug one in and disable other one.

Old 07-06-2009 at 12:22 AM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
It had extra PCI-e slot, plug one in and disable other one.
Do you mean the PCI slot that is normally used for storing the laptop's remote?