MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 1XX3 Handbook goodnews.inc Academics 10 12-28-2009 12:38 PM
Common Issues With SOLAR (and how to solve them!) Chad MUGSI & SOLAR 78 07-02-2009 06:44 PM
SOLAR issues: why isn't it open? HeatherH Academics 172 08-14-2008 04:05 PM
PSYCH 1XX3, IB and SOLAR! shreyaroy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-06-2008 10:04 PM
Psych 1x03/1xx3 hello395 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-01-2008 04:49 PM

SOLAR Issues and PSYCH 1XX3

Old 06-30-2009 at 11:35 PM   #1
crazytown

Liked: 0 Times

SOLAR Issues and PSYCH 1XX3
So I'm planning on minoring in Psych as I enter my second year this coming fall. I only took 1X03 during first year, so I need to take 1XX3 in order to continue on with upper-year Psych courses. When I first entered SOLAR last week I was able to enroll in 1XX3 fine. However, after recently trying to change some of my courses, when I click 'Verify Changes' it now says I don't have the requisites to take 1XX3. However, I do meet the requirements (I've already taken 1X03 and I took Grade 12 Bio U), plus I initially enrolled successfully anyway. SOLAR will not allow me to apply my necessary changes without first dropping Psych, but I really need that class to minor. Can anyone provide any insight on the matter? I've already emailed the Psych department, but I'm worried that they won't reply tomorrow because it's Canada Day. Tomorrow is also the last day I can make any changes until SOLAR reopens, so I need this remedied fast.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:36 PM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytown View Post
So I'm planning on minoring in Psych as I enter my second year this coming fall. I only took 1X03 during first year, so I need to take 1XX3 in order to continue on with upper-year Psych courses. When I first entered SOLAR last week I was able to enroll in 1XX3 fine. However, after recently trying to change some of my courses, when I click 'Verify Changes' it now says I don't have the requisites to take 1XX3. However, I do meet the requirements (I've already taken 1X03 and I took Grade 12 Bio U), plus I initially enrolled successfully anyway. SOLAR will not allow me to apply my necessary changes without first dropping Psych, but I really need that class to minor. Can anyone provide any insight on the matter? I've already emailed the Psych department, but I'm worried that they won't reply tomorrow because it's Canada Day. Tomorrow is also the last day I can make any changes until SOLAR reopens, so I need this remedied fast.
Can you post the original set of courses you were taking, and then post what you are planning to change it to? That way I can have a better look at what is causing the problem.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:45 PM   #3
crazytown

Currently my course list is as follows

BIO 2B03 - term 1
BIO 2C03 - term 2
BIO 2EE3 - term 1
BIO 2F03 - term 1
CHEM 2OA3 - term 1
ENVIR SC 2C03 - term 1
ENVIR SC 2Q03 - term 2
ENVIR SC 2W03 - term 2
PSYCH 1XX3 - term 2
STATS 2B03 - term 1

As you can see, I have six courses in term 1 and four in term 2. This is because I recently was given authorization to take those three enviro sci courses (when I initially entered SOLAR the long waits and high traffic meant those courses were full when I tried to enroll). To accomodate these additions, I'm planning on swithcing BIO 2B03 from first term to second term. Whenever I try, however, the warning about PSYCH prevents me from making the change.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:49 PM   #4
PTGregD
Elite Member

I checked the course calendars and the master time table (just to see if it's a time conflict), and haven't been able to figure out any reason why you're getting the error you are.

I'd give my usual advice of calling the department, but you already thought of that, and your course selection period ends tonight. :(

Sorry I couldn't figure it out.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:56 PM   #5
crazytown

Well thank you anyway for your assistance. According to SOLAR July 1 is the last day I can make changes, so hopefully I'll get word from the Psych department. If not, I guess I'll continue to wait it out when SOLAR reopens. One more question: is it possible to have an unbalanced courseload like this (6 classes first term, 4 classes next term). I'm trying to imagine that worst-case scenario, how difficult it would be.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:57 PM   #6
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Well thank you anyway for your assistance. According to SOLAR July 1 is the last day I can make changes, so hopefully I'll get word from the Psych department. If not, I guess I'll continue to wait it out when SOLAR reopens. One more question: is it possible to have an unbalanced courseload like this (6 classes first term, 4 classes next term). I'm trying to imagine that worst-case scenario, how difficult it would be.
It's definitely allowed, if that's what you mean. As far as how comfortable it is, you may find yourself overloaded in term 1, and that may negatively impact your grades.
Old 07-01-2009 at 12:11 AM   #7
crazytown

Well, if that does happen to me, thankfully (I suppose) two of those first term Bio's are night courses, so class-wise it might be allright. Thanks for your insight.
Old 07-01-2009 at 12:14 AM   #8
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Well, if that does happen to me, thankfully (I suppose) two of those first term Bio's are night courses, so class-wise it might be allright. Thanks for your insight.
If it's any comfort, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get this problem fixed. Just a reminder, this isn't you last chance at picking courses, and Psych 1XX3 has LOTs of room. I think there were something like 3000 students enrolled in that class when I was in first year, although it was called 1AA3 at the time.
Old 07-01-2009 at 10:58 PM   #9
reijc_002

Im having the same problem -___-
im trying to do some changes, and put biology in,
but even biology it says that i dont have the requisite :(
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:33 AM   #10
Burnett

Liked: 1 Time

Trying to get into 1M03 (Intro Calculus for Business/Social Science/Humanities) and I can't get in despite having MHF4U. This also prevents me from getting into the pre-req for that course.

Fail. :/
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:44 AM   #11
reijc_002

frustrating >.<