MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar Help! jennjennifuh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-02-2012 09:23 PM
IMP solar shaf First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-27-2012 09:49 AM
SOLAR help? rlau94 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-27-2012 07:48 AM
Solar a.aqsha First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 08-07-2011 11:05 PM
Solar Black.Mamba Academics 2 06-22-2010 05:26 PM

SOLAR Log-in technique

Old 08-08-2013 at 08:05 AM   #1
kevcom

Liked: Liked 3 Times

SOLAR Log-in technique
For those of you who are a) lazy, and b) technically adept, I have quite an attractive solution for you to get onto SOLAR when it's busy, and with minimal effort on your part.

You will need:

1) Firefox
2) Selenium IDE Addon
3) Selenium Flow Control Addon

Once you have these items, restart Firefox, open Selenium IDE from the Developer Tools menu, and load the attached file called mugsi.txt

Mage sure you have logged into MUGSI, and have the active window open in Firefox. Run the script - adjust the speed as necessary - too fast and you might get errors.

Hopefully, after what may seem like an exorbitant number of attempts, you will get in. You may need to periodically re-login to MUGSI. I have yet to get in, but hey, we're dealing with SOLAR here - c'est la vie.

Let me know how it goes for you.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mugsi.txt (1.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 08-08-2013 at 08:15 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Doesn't doing something like this just increase the number of requests made to the servers and just add to the problem with the benefit of you getting in at the cost of others?

Or am I wrong? I tried scripts before.. but I found it just as good to log on later in the day..
Old 08-08-2013 at 08:23 AM   #3
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

This is why Mac needs to just use a ticket system where people have randomly assigned designated times to sign in and adjust their courses.. Very tired of mindlessly trying to get onto this broken system, especially if I'm competing with scripts and things these days too -_-.
Old 08-08-2013 at 09:05 AM   #4
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyWarrior View Post
This is why Mac needs to just use a ticket system where people have randomly assigned designated times to sign in and adjust their courses.. Very tired of mindlessly trying to get onto this broken system, especially if I'm competing with scripts and things these days too -_-.
You actually have a better chance without a script depending how dedicated you are

I line up the Solar window and the mugsi window so as I can keep the mouse in the same place and when it says "Full" I click once to close windows and again on Solar.

Usually within 5 mins I am in. With scripts, they usualy wait for the full page to load before attempting to try again but you have quicker judgement with that. Just my opinion lol.

I do agree though a random ticket system would be sooo much better
Old 08-08-2013 at 09:24 AM   #5
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Doesn't doing something like this just increase the number of requests made to the servers and just add to the problem with the benefit of you getting in at the cost of others?

Or am I wrong? I tried scripts before.. but I found it just as good to log on later in the day..
Yup, that is exactly right. If everyone starts using a script it just bogs down the server.

tl;dr Please don't be a jerk and use scripts to get into SOLAR.

Last edited by GCSM : 08-08-2013 at 09:29 AM.

ashleighp likes this.
Old 08-08-2013 at 09:52 AM   #6
Roastmeat

Liked: 1 Time

Why don't they have a Queue system?

Telling you what place you are in and so forth
Saves everyone time and server bandwidth