MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question About Solar joanne_507 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-15-2010 04:28 PM
SOLAR quick question strawbrryjam First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-09-2010 11:50 AM
SOLAR Question steph.elle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2010 09:21 PM
solar question Nate1 Academics 4 07-03-2009 10:34 AM
Question about SOLAR. Dominique First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-07-2008 10:38 PM

SOLAR question

Old 06-27-2010 at 08:29 PM   #1
MTK3

Liked: 0 Times

SOLAR question
During SOLAR, do we only pick courses for the first term? Or do we pick courses for the whole year (both first and second term)? And also, for the courses that are 6 units (french), do they carry over to the second term? So we don't have to pick another course in its spot?
Old 06-27-2010 at 08:32 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK3 View Post
During SOLAR, do we only pick courses for the first term? Or do we pick courses for the whole year (both first and second term)? And also, for the courses that are 6 units (french), do they carry over to the second term? So we don't have to pick another course in its spot?
You pick courses for the whole year. 6 unit courses are generally full year courses. French will be a Term 3 course, which just means it runs the entire fall/winter session.

You can only pick 30 units in total.
Old 06-27-2010 at 08:39 PM   #3
steph.elle

Liked: 4 Times

I haven't gotten to do my course selection yet (I'm last, go figure), so I'm still having a hard time figuring out how it's supposed to work. Are we only able to select a course if its open? And once its selected does that mean we have the spot? Or do you have to confirm your pay agreement first before you get the course?
Old 06-27-2010 at 08:48 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph.elle View Post
I haven't gotten to do my course selection yet (I'm last, go figure), so I'm still having a hard time figuring out how it's supposed to work. Are we only able to select a course if its open? And once its selected does that mean we have the spot? Or do you have to confirm your pay agreement first before you get the course?
Yes, you can only select a course if it's not full, it'll say "Avail" instead. When you select it, you have a temporary spot. once you confirm all your courses you have a permanent spot. Then you have to confirm your payment agreement to be fully registered.
Old 06-27-2010 at 08:54 PM   #5
steph.elle

Liked: 4 Times

What are the odds of getting all the classes you want? Just because I made up a mock timetable to fit everything in, so do I need to make sure I have a backup plan?
Old 06-27-2010 at 08:56 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph.elle View Post
What are the odds of getting all the classes you want? Just because I made up a mock timetable to fit everything in, so do I need to make sure I have a backup plan?
Just 1-2 courses should suffice as a back up. It really depends on the courses you want to take, some get full very quickly while others stay available. For instance kinesiology is usually always full.
Old 06-27-2010 at 08:57 PM   #7
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Yes, make sure you have a backup plan, definitely. Even though I can only take 30 units, I have about 8-10 additional courses listed as backups, cuz some things WILL be full. Its the joy of picking last. This is my second year in a row picking on the last day.