MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Question... fall3n First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 12:06 PM
Quick Question.. staceykinz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 06-30-2010 12:36 PM
quick question jamiebenyovi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-12-2010 09:51 PM
Quick Question ThatGuy Academics 8 07-13-2009 02:02 PM
Quick question LBJ.MVP Academics 8 06-28-2009 09:19 PM

SOLAR quick question

Old 08-08-2010 at 11:16 AM   #1
strawbrryjam

Liked: 0 Times

SOLAR quick question
2 questions:
1. After I drop a course, add another one, and click on verify changes/check conflict, it appears that there is a conflict. What could I do to solve the conflict? If not, how can I keep the course that I dropped since it might be full right after I drop it?

2. Will there be a conflict when selecting core/tutorial? Because when selecting courses, we need to click on verify changes/check conflict, and there is usually no sign of conflict. Do conflicts usually occur when selecting the core?
Old 08-08-2010 at 12:34 PM   #2
funkymonkey

Liked: 6 Times

Hey there I'll try to explain the best I can for you
1. A conflict would mean the times for the classes you chose overlap so it won't work out in your timetable. You can check times for classes using https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/. The letter C represent a core class, the letter T represents a tutorial and the letter L represents a lab.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to resolve this conflict so you won't be able to take the added course unless you change around the rest of your classes, which could mean trying to get into the same course in another term or dropping other classes. You can see how to fit a course in your timetable by using that Master Timetable link I gave you. And also all the courses come on a first come first serve basis, so if you drop a course and someone else happens to add it right after you and the class is full, you've lost your spot :(

2. If you use the site I posted above in #1 (https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/) you'll see the different core, tutorial and lab times available for each course you're taking For some classes there's only one core class available, while others have two or three.

I hope I answered your questions well enough!
Old 08-08-2010 at 12:39 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

1. Conflicts on SOLAR actually mean you do not meet the prerequisites for the course. SOLAR has no scheduling times on its database and therefore cannot determine if you have a conflict in terms of class time. What classes show up as conflicts? You might need to add safety courses.

To keep your original courses you can just exit SOLAR, all changes you make are not final until you confirm them after verifying them.

2. No, there won't be any conflicts when picking your tutorials/labs, but you have to make sure they don't conflict by using the Master Timetable. https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
Old 08-08-2010 at 01:53 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Just check the master timetable and see if there is more than 1 option to avoid the conflict. Timetables will be released tomorrow, so you can see it visually.
Old 08-09-2010 at 11:47 AM   #5
strawbrryjam

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
1. Conflicts on SOLAR actually mean you do not meet the prerequisites for the course. SOLAR has no scheduling times on its database and therefore cannot determine if you have a conflict in terms of class time. What classes show up as conflicts? You might need to add safety courses.

To keep your original courses you can just exit SOLAR, all changes you make are not final until you confirm them after verifying them.

2. No, there won't be any conflicts when picking your tutorials/labs, but you have to make sure they don't conflict by using the Master Timetable. https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
just press exit to keep my orginal courses? does it mean after pressing verify changes/check conflict? because.. isn't it after pressing it, the changes are already submitted in?
Old 08-09-2010 at 11:50 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbrryjam View Post
just press exit to keep my orginal courses? does it mean after pressing verify changes/check conflict? because.. isn't it after pressing it, the changes are already submitted in?
After you his Verify Changes/Check Conflicts you have to click Submit (or something like that). Until you do that you aren't actually registered in the courses or have dropped other courses.

strawbrryjam says thanks to jhan523 for this post.