MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Question... fall3n First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 12:06 PM
quick question jamiebenyovi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-12-2010 09:51 PM
Quick Question Gil76 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-01-2010 08:53 PM
Quick Question Kat04 Residence & Housing 2 11-11-2009 09:19 PM
Quick question LBJ.MVP Academics 8 06-28-2009 09:19 PM

Quick Question..

Old 06-30-2010 at 12:21 AM   #1
staceykinz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Quick Question..
Is it possible to have more courses in one term than in another? Currently, I have my 30 units split evenly into two semesters... But there are two courses I want to take that are only offered in first term, can I take them both and then either remove one course from second term? or have 33 units?

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:23 AM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Engineers basically have more than 30 units every year at mac so it's not really an issue.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure you can. Just as long as you think you're able to handle the workload.
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:23 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

You can have uneven units, i.e. you can have 12 units in one term and 18 in the other instead of 15/15.
As for having more than 30 units on the whole, I don't believe you can do that in first year (besides engineering students who have a required 37 units I think). You can have more units in upper years provided that you had an average of 7.0 the previous year. 7.0 is equivalent to a B-.
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:48 AM   #4
staceykinz
Account Disabled by User

Thanks for the help. Would you suggest not doing this? Or do you think it will be alright. I'm deciding between gerentology and peace studies. Not sure what would be better. Gerentology is only offered first term and I would add it to my timetable, and remove peace studies which is second term.
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:50 AM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

I wouldn't really recommend doing more courses in one term because it might be a little much, especially since you're just transitioning into university. I'd say just choose one for now, and you can do the other course in the summer or the following year. It depends on the program, but most allow you to do upto 48 units of first year courses throughout your 4 years. It's really upto you, and if you really want to do it, go for it, but think about if you can handle the workload.
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:22 AM   #6
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

i did an uneven split last year (my first year) i had 12 units one sem and 18 the other... i would advise u NOT to do that to youself... i was pretty much a zombie and felt like i had classes ALL the time
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:28 AM   #7
staceykinz
Account Disabled by User

Thanks for the advice. I've made some rearrangements. It's possible to take a course through the summer, correct? I've had to remove philosophy - It was only ever offered as an evening course 2nd term from 6-10.... because of the core and the tutorial combined. I would imagine it would be easier to just take it through the summer if it's offered?
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:08 AM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member

Yes you can take it in the summer, if it's offered.
Old 06-30-2010 at 05:40 AM   #9
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

I don't see why you wouldn't want to have an uneven course load. It all just comes down to whether or not you are willing to put in the work. Certain programs require you to have even more than 33 units in a year (I have 40 this year, 20 per semester), so if you think that taking the course you want is worth a little extra work, then go for it. It is certainly possible.
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:21 PM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

It's certainly easier to do so in upper years, but I wouldn't recommend it in first year.
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:36 PM   #11
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

So I'm actually wondering the same thing... I just picked my classes and have 18units first semester and 12 units second semester... I figure its somewhat managable I guess depending on the courses? I took two 6 unit courses, so I figure that I can focus more on the other 4 courses I'm taking first semester to achieve decent marks, and if those two classes suffer there's always another semester to bring them up...

I do get that some would advise against it, but if you're really committed to studying and getting the work done is it going to be that hard? I plan on taking inquiry and psychology first semester, I figure from what I read on here inquiry is pretty easy... And I've taken 3 psychology courses in college, so psych shouldnt be that hard...

Anyone have any experience doing something like this voluntarily?? Say not in a program where you're course load is more units per semester...