MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Question... fall3n First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 12:06 PM
Quick Question Gil76 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-01-2010 08:53 PM
Quick Question Kat04 Residence & Housing 2 11-11-2009 09:19 PM
Quick Question ThatGuy Academics 8 07-13-2009 02:02 PM
Quick question LBJ.MVP Academics 8 06-28-2009 09:19 PM

quick question

Old 06-11-2010 at 08:02 AM   #1
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

quick question
I accepted Earth and Environmental Sciences and i plan on switching into a biology major, life sciences or something along those lines in second year. Do any of you know if its possible for me not to take the two required environmental science courses since i have no intentions of graduating with a bachelor of science in environmental science? If thats the case then i can pick 2 electives rather than taking 2 courses that i really have absolutely no interest in!

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2010 at 01:04 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebenyovi View Post
I accepted Earth and Environmental Sciences and i plan on switching into a biology major, life sciences or something along those lines in second year. Do any of you know if its possible for me not to take the two required environmental science courses since i have no intentions of graduating with a bachelor of science in environmental science? If thats the case then i can pick 2 electives rather than taking 2 courses that i really have absolutely no interest in!

Thanks!
Go talk to an academic counsellor to try and switch as soon as possible.

You can take the electives, but if you find out you can't switch then you'll have to take the required courses. This could set you back unless you take summer school courses. But you'll probably be able to switch if you meet the requirements.
Old 06-11-2010 at 01:11 PM   #3
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

i emailed the environmental science advisor and he said i can just take electives!!
now i just need to figure out what electives to take!

thankss
Old 06-11-2010 at 01:11 PM   #4
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Talk to an academic advisor but I know someone who was in the same situation and didn't take the required enviro sci courses and instead just followed the life sci requirements and took 2 electives instead. At the end of first year you pick level 2 programs anyway so as long as you have the prereq's to get into the program you want after first year it doesn't matter what program you were in originally.
Old 06-11-2010 at 05:04 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Oh man, I didn't read your post close enough. I thought you were in second year. So steph is right.

Just get the prerequisites for the program you want to enter in 2nd year and then apply to it when the time comes (I forget what month, but it's near the end. You'll get information about it when it's close).
Old 06-12-2010 at 09:49 PM   #6
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

If you are interested in field biology courses in upper years you may want to consider taking Enviro Sc 1B03. I heard it may be a prereq. for some upper year courses. Enviro Sc 1B03 is also a requirement for some of the courses in the Biology list. I would strongly recommend looking at what upper year courses you may want to take before choosing your electives.

If you have no interest definately don't bother with Env sc 1g03, or 1a03. Despite making you choose an area of science in first year, you are definately not stuck there.

Welcome to Mac!
Old 06-12-2010 at 09:51 PM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I hope your question has been answered.
I would just like to point out the amount of "quick questions" in the similar threads section above. ^^^
It rofl'd my waffle
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences