MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What school to put on OSAP form? Kathy2 Financial Aid 0 04-18-2011 12:59 PM
Osap Supporting Documentation Form meena101 Financial Aid 8 09-04-2010 08:28 PM
OSAP - Confirmation of Enrolment Form manaya Financial Aid 2 08-31-2010 07:36 PM
OSAP: Confirmation of Enrolment form Allan General Discussion 9 09-25-2009 01:20 AM

SPACE form and OSAP HELP !!

Old 06-18-2012 at 04:41 PM   #1
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

SPACE form and OSAP HELP !!
I was unable to register for an ECON course for fall/winter session and chose POL SCI 2H03 instead. However, i dropped the course through SOLAR yesterday. I also filled out S.P.A.C.E forms for 2 classes of ECON hoping that I may get into either one for fall//winter session. I do not know of the results yet though.
But, i've also applied for OSAP for fall/winter session 2012-13. Currently short of 3 units of a full course load of 39 units, im not sure whether to submit an OSAP change request form at this time having dropped 3 units from a full course load. At the same time, If I do get registered for the ECON classes by august, i will have to resend an email to the SFAS office regarding the change.

what is the most appropriate step i must take at this time. ??
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:23 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinabrahak View Post
I was unable to register for an ECON course for fall/winter session and chose POL SCI 2H03 instead. However, i dropped the course through SOLAR yesterday. I also filled out S.P.A.C.E forms for 2 classes of ECON hoping that I may get into either one for fall//winter session. I do not know of the results yet though.
But, i've also applied for OSAP for fall/winter session 2012-13. Currently short of 3 units of a full course load of 39 units, im not sure whether to submit an OSAP change request form at this time having dropped 3 units from a full course load. At the same time, If I do get registered for the ECON classes by august, i will have to resend an email to the SFAS office regarding the change.

what is the most appropriate step i must take at this time. ??
You should notify OSAP of the changes especially since school hasn't started yet. They are going to be looking at your application and will see that the course load you specified isn't the same as what McMaster will tell them which may cause complications in releasing your funding. Then if you do get into the Econ course, notify OSAP of the changes again.

Either that or take a filler course while you wait for the reply from the Econ department.

Chances are it's not a big deal but it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm sure the inconvenience of filling out a form twice would greatly outweigh the possibility of receiving lower funding or something.

Plus, it may be possible that they would calculate your funding based on what McMaster tells them (lower course load) and receive less funding but you wouldn't know so you wouldn't get a chance to have your application reviewed later on.
Old 06-18-2012 at 07:02 PM   #3
Kevinabrahak

thanks. Thats exactly what i thought i must do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Plus, it may be possible that they would calculate your funding based on what McMaster tells them (lower course load) and receive less funding but you wouldn't know so you wouldn't get a chance to have your application reviewed later on.
im not sure what that meant. sorry !!
Old 06-18-2012 at 07:09 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

So you are taking 36/39 units for an upper year eng program right? Its still technically full time so you are okay with osap
Old 06-18-2012 at 07:11 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
thanks. Thats exactly what i thought i must do.

im not sure what that meant. sorry !!
So say you put 100% course load and they go to McMaster and ask for all the information (McMaster provides the information such as tuition, book cost, course load, etc...). McMaster says you are only taking say a 90% course load. OSAP will then calculate your funding based on a 90% course load.

Later this summer (or in September) you manage to get into Econ raising your course load to 100%. But you don't know if OSAP calculated your funding based on the 90% or 100%. Also, on your application it says 100% (Because that's what you said) so you won't be able to fill out a form to notify them of a change to your application (Because there is no change).

Therefore you've receive funding for a 90% course load when you could have gotten more funding for taking a 100% course load.
Old 06-18-2012 at 07:21 PM   #6
Kevinabrahak

thanks.

Macpack, i do understand its full time, however its not full course load. that could possibly affect my eligibility for OSAP as mentioned by jhan523. Thanks anyway.
Old 06-18-2012 at 07:26 PM   #7
Kevinabrahak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
. Also, on your application it says 100% (Because that's what you said) so you won't be able to fill out a form to notify them of a change to your application (Because there is no change).

Therefore you've receive funding for a 90% course load when you could have gotten more funding for taking a 100% course load.
Well, i could notify them ( SFAS ) of a change now. When i do get confirmation of course registration for ECON later this summer, i could resend them the same " change request form" mentioning that I have increased my course load back to 39 ( full course load ). OSAP would then update my info again and recalculate an amount for a 100% course load and ( probably ) notify me of the change.
Old 06-18-2012 at 07:38 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
thanks.

Macpack, i do understand its full time, however its not full course load. that could possibly affect my eligibility for OSAP as mentioned by jhan523. Thanks anyway.
Eligibility probably won't be a problem unless you are right on the border of eligibility (You and your parents are making the borderline amount of income - no idea what that actual amount is though), it's just a matter of receiving less/more funding.

Quote:
Well, i could notify them ( SFAS ) of a change now. When i do get confirmation of course registration for ECON later this summer, i could resend them the same " change request form" mentioning that I have increased my course load back to 39 ( full course load ). OSAP would then update my info again and recalculate an amount for a 100% course load and ( probably ) notify me of the change.
That's what I mentioned a couple posts up... I should probably mention that a difference of 3 units may or may not affect the amount of funding. 3 units is like 500$ or something so it's not an incredibly large amount of money and unless you are REALLY financially challenged it's very doubtful they would give a large sum for that increase in price (Like they wouldn't give 500$ more funding because you took 500$ more in courses).

Edit: Also, it's more important for income but like I said it's better to be safe than sorry. Lying to the government (even if it's a matter of being lazy to change your application information) isn't a smart idea especially when you are asking for funding from them. It's always a possibility that they refuse to fund you in the future, so being honest with them is always a good action.
Old 06-18-2012 at 08:26 PM   #9
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

As far as I know it wont change unless you under at least 33 units since tuition remains the same. But you should just call SFAS they are open during the summer
Old 06-18-2012 at 10:40 PM   #10
Kevinabrahak

i've decided to fax the SFAS office the change request form. But i still have upto June 20th as thats my last day on SOLAR to drop the course . Just waiting on academic advisor to respond about a few course registration details.