MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coffee and how much? AnimeGamer31 Body & Food 10 11-13-2013 03:13 PM
Red bull vs Coffee saim Body & Food 24 01-31-2012 04:56 PM
Coffee on Campus Sabid Body & Food 8 09-30-2010 04:28 AM
Has anyone had Far Coast coffee lorend General Discussion 9 01-02-2010 03:14 AM
Where can I buy Coffee on Campus? Arnold General Discussion 13 10-19-2008 11:00 PM

Spilt coffee on my Mac

Old 11-10-2013 at 07:44 PM   #1
Jaz1616

Liked: 1 Time

Spilt coffee on my Mac
Hey guys,

On Thursday, I spilt coffee on my Macbook Pro 13' while I was in class. I dashed to get tissues and tried to soak up as much of the coffee as I could. When I came home, I tried to follow as many instructions on google as i could but since I didn't have the right screw to be able to open my Mac, I couldn't dry the insides. I left it in rice overnight and booked an appointment with an Apple Genius for the next day. Basically, he had some very bad news for me: it would cost $800 to repair my Mac. But, I came home and looked online and it seems that people in similar situations have been able to fix their Macs by opening it up and cleaning it thoroughly.

Here's the thing..I am NOT a technology person and am not sure how to go about taking my Mac apart by myself. BUT, if anyone here knows how to do it, has done it themselves, or knows someone who can repair my Mac..can you PLEASE contact me?? PLEASE? I REALLY don't want to buy a new laptop :( I'm obviously willing to pay you!
Old 11-10-2013 at 08:10 PM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

You could try Westdale which has a few computer repair shops (one near subway and another near metro). Be warned that macbooks are infamous for their inability to recover from this. Also your warranty is now void. Theres a moisture sensor inside the comp. Thats part of the reason they charge so much to repair it.
Old 11-10-2013 at 08:11 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

If the coffee has reached and made contact with the internal electronic components, no one could easily open it up, and fix it since a lot of parts will need to be replaced depending on where the liquid entered from and how much it spread before "drying" out.
Old 11-10-2013 at 08:59 PM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Your warranty is void, you've basically got a $1500 brick unless you can fix it.

Take it apart and try to dry it. If that doesn't work take it to the computer shop in Westdale and see what they quote but chances are that they'll need to replace to motherboard and the replacement part for that is nearly $700 by itself (http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Ma...ard/IF163-044).
Old 11-11-2013 at 02:41 AM   #5
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz1616 View Post
Hey guys,

On Thursday, I spilt coffee on my Macbook Pro 13' while I was in class. I dashed to get tissues and tried to soak up as much of the coffee as I could. When I came home, I tried to follow as many instructions on google as i could but since I didn't have the right screw to be able to open my Mac, I couldn't dry the insides. I left it in rice overnight and booked an appointment with an Apple Genius for the next day. Basically, he had some very bad news for me: it would cost $800 to repair my Mac. But, I came home and looked online and it seems that people in similar situations have been able to fix their Macs by opening it up and cleaning it thoroughly.

Here's the thing..I am NOT a technology person and am not sure how to go about taking my Mac apart by myself. BUT, if anyone here knows how to do it, has done it themselves, or knows someone who can repair my Mac..can you PLEASE contact me?? PLEASE? I REALLY don't want to buy a new laptop :( I'm obviously willing to pay you!
Was in a similar situation with my previous Macbook. Found a local shop on kijiji that fixed it for me for $250.

I would deff check kijiji, they do motherboard repairs for fairly cheap. I can pass you the info for the guy I went to as well if you'd like

Jaz1616 says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 11-11-2013 at 01:31 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

• Shut down your laptop immediately.
  • Unplug your laptop immediately from both the DC adaptor and from the Mains Power socket on the wall then remove the battery. (this will stop it from possibly shorting out)
  • Mop up any excess liquid using a towel or tissue, do not place in an airing cupboard or use something like a hair dryer to dry up the liquid, this can potentially cause more damage.
  • Do not just leave your laptop to dry out, some liquids will damage your laptop more the longer you leave them. Drinks such as Coke contain lots of sugars and acid, which will destroy mainboards in laptops within days.
  • Bring your laptop into a computer repair shop at the soonest possible time. The longer you leave it, the more irreparable the damage can be.

Here's a place that repairs liquid damage:
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ490846983

They are open:
Monday - Friday: 9:30-6:30
Saturday: 9:30-5:00
Sunday: By Appointment Only

85 QUEEN ST. NORTH UNIT 5 (Queen & York)
Hamilton, Ontario L8R2V5

FREE PARKING

289-389-8369

Kijiji more choices: http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/f-laptop-r...rchFormZ true

Jaz1616 says thanks to Chad for this post.