MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CCRA Spring Term samcanbe Academics 0 03-20-2011 09:10 PM
Spring term changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-30-2010 11:14 AM
Spring/Summer Term Durations jimboslice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-23-2010 04:23 PM
Spring/Summer 2010 Term Timetable dchan28 MacInsiders Announcements 7 02-08-2010 08:43 PM
Spring/Summer Term Deegs14 Academics 14 11-09-2009 03:17 PM

Spring term - BIO 2B03 (cell bio)

Old 03-25-2011 at 03:44 PM   #1
demelo_b

Liked: 14 Times

Spring term - BIO 2B03 (cell bio)
Hi guys,

Taking cell bio this spring, and the instructor listed on the master timetable is PATEL, L.

Anyone know who this is? Has anyone had him/her as an instructor before??

thanks!
Old 03-25-2011 at 04:35 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by demelo_b View Post
Hi guys,

Taking cell bio this spring, and the instructor listed on the master timetable is PATEL, L.

Anyone know who this is? Has anyone had him/her as an instructor before??

thanks!
I think her name is Leena Patel (if it's the same person), she taught Bio 2C03 in Fall 2010. I didn't take genetics then though :(

L'Étoile says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 03-25-2011 at 05:08 PM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

take it with dr dej next year she is amazing

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 03-25-2011 at 05:09 PM   #4
demelo_b

Liked: 14 Times

I used to love dr. dej too, but after my experience with life sci 3a03 this term, kinda don't feel the same anymore. The course is horrible organized!
Old 03-25-2011 at 05:10 PM   #5
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

no but for cell bio she is good i am taking her course right now

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 03-25-2011 at 05:12 PM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I had Patel for Genetics. She's brand new (I think 2C03 was her first try) and quite young. She's a fairly decent prof, she's very open to questions during lecture and I found her tests pretty easy. Her slides are all you need.

She's not Dr. Dej, but she's certainly no Bedard either (thank God, lol)
Old 03-25-2011 at 05:27 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by demelo_b View Post
I used to love dr. dej too, but after my experience with life sci 3a03 this term, kinda don't feel the same anymore. The course is horrible organized!
I know what you mean. Our Bio 2C03 course got a little messed up this term too, especially since we didn't have an instructional assistant for like a month and a half. I think this whole disorganization thing is not entirely Dr. Dej's fault, she's teaching like 3 courses this term, but I totally know how you feel.
Old 03-25-2011 at 06:18 PM   #8
WavyOne

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I know what you mean. Our Bio 2C03 course got a little messed up this term too, especially since we didn't have an instructional assistant for like a month and a half. I think this whole disorganization thing is not entirely Dr. Dej's fault, she's teaching like 3 courses this term, but I totally know how you feel.
She's actually teaching five courses this semester and has thesis students, so she's pretty busy... Its hard trying to track her down. This is the first time health and disease has been offered that may be why it isn't organized yet.
Old 03-25-2011 at 06:39 PM   #9
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

oh man i wanted to take this course too over term 1 summer but it conflicts with my chem 20a3 :( not cool.

btw question: is it a bad idea to take 2 courses over one summer term or is this totally managible. how much free time and study time do u think ill have with 2 summer courses in one term???

also just want to make sure but: summer term 1 is from may-june, and summer term 2 is from july-aug. am i correct? also wat is term 3??

Last edited by Chevalier : 03-25-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2011 at 06:42 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
oh man i wanted to take this course too over term 1 summer but it conflicts with my chem 20a3 :( not cool.

btw question: is it a bad idea to take 2 courses over one summer term or is this totally managible. how much free time and study time do u think ill have with 2 summer courses in one term???
Depends on the courses...I found it totally doable. I took stats & genetics last summer.
Old 03-25-2011 at 06:50 PM   #11
Chevalier
Elite Member

stats huh, maybe ill take that.....btw does anyone know if summer courses taken at mac count in ur gpa, if so then which years gpa do they go towards the preveous years or the following years?
Old 03-25-2011 at 06:56 PM   #12
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
stats huh, maybe ill take that.....btw does anyone know if summer courses taken at mac count in ur gpa, if so then which years gpa do they go towards the preveous years or the following years?
CA is determined at the end of the Fall/Winter session.

Your CA is only reviewed after the Spring/Summer session if you've completed 18 units since it was last reviewed. So typically, unless you overload, your summer marks won't be reviewed until the end of the following Fall/Winter session.

Last edited by alh24 : 03-25-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Chevalier says thanks to alh24 for this post.
Old 03-25-2011 at 07:19 PM   #13
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:

also just want to make sure but: summer term 1 is from may-june, and summer term 2 is from july-aug. am i correct? also wat is term 3??
Totally doable, and I think required if you want OSAP. I did Eth Sci 2GG3 + PHYS 1B03 in term 1, then HIST 2TT3 + PHYS 1BB3 in the second term last year. I'm quite weak in physics, but I managed it ok.
Old 03-25-2011 at 10:58 PM   #14
Chevalier
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Totally doable, and I think required if you want OSAP. I did Eth Sci 2GG3 + PHYS 1B03 in term 1, then HIST 2TT3 + PHYS 1BB3 in the second term last year. I'm quite weak in physics, but I managed it ok.
haha thats cool, i dont plan on doing physics bb3 but did bo3 over this year ( wish i had dropped it though) anyways how was hist and eth sci, i plan on taking one or the other along with bio 2b03 in term 1 ( not going to do full summer school cant stand it i need some sort of break after going through 1st year )
Old 03-26-2011 at 10:37 AM   #15
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
haha thats cool, i dont plan on doing physics bb3 but did bo3 over this year ( wish i had dropped it though) anyways how was hist and eth sci, i plan on taking one or the other along with bio 2b03 in term 1 ( not going to do full summer school cant stand it i need some sort of break after going through 1st year )
Eth Sci was pretty good, It wasn't quite the bird everyone says it is, but I still found it easy. Most Science students would probably say the same. A lot of a business majors were having trouble, though, because I don't think they're used to the "memorize this shiz" style. (I had Bamasoud). I honestly didn't put all that much time in it (I was furiously trying to do capa most of the time)

History depends on your prof. I had Neil White, and he was great. It's Canadian history after Confederation, so the course really starts to get interesting in like the second half, where you deal with Trudeau, Chretien - names most people will recognize.

I think both my profs were just guests, I know White was for sure, but they might come back.