MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
important question regarding not high enough marks kuruczpa Academics 21 09-13-2010 02:56 PM
Retaking a course in high school Relyt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-15-2010 08:14 PM
High School Textbooks? hellonewyork General Discussion 8 08-20-2009 02:15 PM
High School Marks for Life Science patel1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 05-20-2009 02:58 PM
what high school did you go to? lorend Academics 48 08-30-2008 10:33 PM

Star investigation: Slacking off gets high marks at this ‘high school’

Old 09-18-2011 at 05:08 PM   #1
enarab

Liked: 22 Times

Star investigation: Slacking off gets high marks at this ‘high school’
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...l#.TnUz10bSHRg

So pretty much, this school was finally found out about. I know a lot of people went to this private school, and got university admissions, while others who did their courses in normal day school did not get in to their first choices. What do you guys think?
Old 09-18-2011 at 05:14 PM   #2
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

there was another story today about some Toronto colliget institute, which boosted maks under a similar circumstance... i know a couple ppl that have gone to such private school to boost their grades, and it seriously ticks me off, they are no where as competent or smart as i am, yet because of these schools they get higher avg's and got bigger scholarships...seriou sly annoys me how lazy ppl who dont want to put effort into really getting the grade can take away someone else's chances of getting into a uni program or someones potential scholarship money

jim1 likes this.
Old 09-18-2011 at 05:16 PM   #3
JeffZ

Liked: 7 Times

I went to A private school, but certainly not this one. I actually worked my butt off for marks I got and not were always what I wanted. I got into most my choice Universities, but still.

Sorta feel like I got ripped off, yet at the same time, at least I'm positive I got more out of my experience when I was in High-School.
Old 09-18-2011 at 05:20 PM   #4
Rath
Account Locked

Liked: 18 Times

Honestly, I refuse to be friends with anyone that attended a private high school. I would never send my kids to one.

That being said, who the **** pays to bullshit their way through high school? Do you realize its easy enough to bullshit without money? I bullshitted my way into an 89% average and got into all my university choices. Didn't do jack shit. Take the right courses to pad your average, take the hard courses in night school (or summer if you're that much of a loser).

I got here and it still rewards slackers. If anything, blame mac for being so easy. Mac won't filter out these spoiled brats. Hell, McMaster's whole "part-time student" and "summer school programs" are basically the same thing as these private schools. All the dumbasses I know are taking 3 classes a term. What a joke.

In the end you have to remember that University exists to educate, not prepare you for a job placement or give you a "degree".

Last edited by Rath : 09-18-2011 at 05:25 PM.

gwenethrules likes this.
Old 09-18-2011 at 06:14 PM   #5
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rath View Post
Honestly, I refuse to be friends with anyone that attended a private high school. I would never send my kids to one.

That being said, who the **** pays to bullshit their way through high school? Do you realize its easy enough to bullshit without money? I bullshitted my way into an 89% average and got into all my university choices. Didn't do jack shit. Take the right courses to pad your average, take the hard courses in night school (or summer if you're that much of a loser).

I got here and it still rewards slackers. If anything, blame mac for being so easy. Mac won't filter out these spoiled brats. Hell, McMaster's whole "part-time student" and "summer school programs" are basically the same thing as these private schools. All the dumbasses I know are taking 3 classes a term. What a joke.

In the end you have to remember that University exists to educate, not prepare you for a job placement or give you a "degree".
There are so many things wrong with this post but I'll leave it at this:

You seem to have no problem calling everyone else a slacker and/or a dumbass for taking less classes during the year when you admit to padding your average and taking classes in night school because they were hard during the regular school year.

Old 09-18-2011 at 06:17 PM   #6
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:

You seem proud for all the wrong reasons...

Old 09-18-2011 at 06:32 PM   #7
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

the question to be raised here is:
should there be a standardized university entrance test in Canada, like the SAT in the states?

by the way, this problem of padding marks isn't only associated with private schools. in hamilton, some catholic high schools also have a reputation for being "easy". I went to a public high school and know quite a few people who transferred to catholic schools to get better marks with less work.
Old 09-18-2011 at 06:34 PM   #8
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Honestly, i don't get why this is such a big deal. These kids are not going to get past first year.

gmoney, Willmountain like this.
Old 09-18-2011 at 06:37 PM   #9
enarab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
Honestly, i don't get why this is such a big deal. These kids are not going to get past first year.
Well it's a piss off seeing how their university seats went to them, instead of people more deserving.
Old 09-18-2011 at 06:40 PM   #10
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Standardized test? Probably. Catholic highschools in my area (Windsor Essex County) did not have a reputation for being easy.

However, with regards to standardized tests--I was in the International Baccalaureate program in a highschool, and my OSSD marks were the ones sent to the universities to which I applied. My marks were significantly lower than those of students in academic classes who were performing on a similar level. I found an essay in the computer lab one day that had been marked and left there, glanced at the first couple lines + the mark, and could not believe my eyes. That piece of tripe, which got a 90%, would have gotten something more like a 75% in an IB class.

So yes, despite all the complications that come with standardized tests, they would help in resolving issues like these.
Old 09-18-2011 at 07:44 PM   #11
Rath
Account Locked

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
There are so many things wrong with this post but I'll leave it at this:

You seem to have no problem calling everyone else a slacker and/or a dumbass for taking less classes during the year when you admit to padding your average and taking classes in night school because they were hard during the regular school year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
You seem proud for all the wrong reasons...
I'm not calling myself a hard worker, I'm admitting to slacking, just doing it the "right" way in our system's eyes. What I did is perfectly valid under the education system and free. I'm calling out the entire education/grading system as being flawed even before this "pay for your mark" bullshit.
Old 09-18-2011 at 08:05 PM   #12
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
I'm not calling myself a hard worker, I'm admitting to slacking, just doing it the "right" way in our system's eyes. What I did is perfectly valid under the education system and free. I'm calling out the entire education/grading system as being flawed even before this "pay for your mark" bullshit.
You said in your original post that "McMaster's whole "part-time student" and "summer school programs" are basically the same thing as these private schools".

In my opinion, your method (taking classes in night school where they'd be easier and taking easy classes) is exactly the same as taking a class in summer school.

Any person who takes a class in summer school is doing it the right way, is doing it validly under the education system and is not paying more in any way. Ergo, the logic you applied to your own slacking also applies to the people you're chastising.

icecubz, jim1 like this.
Old 09-18-2011 at 08:10 PM   #13
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
the question to be raised here is:
should there be a standardized university entrance test in Canada, like the SAT in the states?
There are massive issues with a single standardized test like the SAT. Even if all testing was standardized (EQAO style) you'd have still have issues on top of a giant bureaucratic mess to deal with
Old 09-18-2011 at 09:00 PM   #14
person33

Liked: 53 Times

i went to a private boarding school in high school took all university level classes- worked my butt off because we had mandatory study hall every night except saturdays (had sat classes for 2 years) only managed to get over 80% twice- then went back to public school for an extra year to take courses my school didnt offer (again took all U and M level courses), did half the amount of homework and finished with an 86% average. Not to mention that at my private school you had to play a sport all three terms and be in at least one club.
Old 09-18-2011 at 09:15 PM   #15
amare

LOL im surprised this report is coming out now. Honestly no one is surprised by this. Private schools are a cheap way for the rich to pay there way through high school. You dont have to put in any effort and your in to the university you want. I know tons of people who decided to go to a private school (ie: blyth in toronto, and a bunch of others) just so they could get into university because they would have no chance at a normal high school.

Private schools arent the only way to get easy "high" marks. Go to an AP/IB program (im not saying their easy trust me) but there are a few IB schools out there which are complete jokes. If anyone knows of York Memorial in Toronto they'll know what I am talking about. The worst part is that universities give and extra 3-5% bonus just for going there no matter what your grades are there.