MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Course Trading Thread Chad Academics 335 06-09-2011 08:34 AM
Official 2010 Timetable Checking Thread Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-09-2010 09:38 AM
SC Players WesPalladini Gaming 0 10-20-2009 05:04 PM
DotA players Infester Gaming 23 09-26-2008 01:36 AM
The Official Cool Video Thread Chad Computers & Tech 18 04-05-2007 11:45 PM

StarCraft II Official Players Thread

Old 09-03-2010 at 10:08 AM   #91
BigT905

Liked: 6 Times

my pc cant handle SC2 :( kinda i loved SC1 and BW.... played it like all day lol
Old 09-03-2010 at 10:20 AM   #92
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

You're gonna need more than "because it's not" to back that up.

Here is why I think Protoss is overpowered:

- Everything has a shield
- Photon cannons
- Warp gates
- Void rays

---

The only thing that really does well against Protoss with Terran is Marauders and siege tanks.. neither or which protect you from air.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 09-03-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-03-2010 at 10:21 AM   #93
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT905 View Post
my pc cant handle SC2 :(
Even on low graphics settings?

My laptop is a couple years old and seems to have no problem with it.
Old 09-03-2010 at 11:40 AM   #94
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

I agree about Void Rays but other than that, Protoss isn't that powerful till at least T2/T3. Terran Marauders are hell to deal with with Zealot/Stalkers.
Old 09-03-2010 at 01:33 PM   #95
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Quote:
Shields regenerate slowly, and takes 10 seconds for them to start regenerating. Basically, making them useless in battle. Furthermore, when you put a point into defence, you have to upgrade shields and armor seperately.

Terran : can heal bio units with medvac, much faster than protoss shields, making it usefull in battle. Terran can also use scvs to fix machinery. Ghosts can get rid of shields in one emp shockwave.
zerg: All units slowly regenerate life. The queen can restore 150 hp to any unit or building in an instant.

Quote:
- Photon cannons
Terran: although turrets can't target ground, they are much more powerful against air, which is what these defensive buildings are typicaly used for
Zerg: Both buildings are more powerfull at what they target, plus they can move

Quote:
- Warp gates
Warp gates improve 2 things over regular gateways: spawn location and spawn time

Spawn Time:
Terran: can build 2 units at time with the reactor upgrade, so they can pump out units faster than protoss
Zerg: each hatchery lets you build 3 units at a time, plus you can use the queen to spawn more larvae to build more.

Spawn Location:
Zerg: You can lay creep which increases unit speed quite a lot. not the same as spawning where you want (provided you have a pylon) but it does give vision
Terran: Doesn't have much to do here, it can liftoff and land closer to pump units closer to where you want

Quote:
- Void rays
It actually kinda sucks unless you dont have any anti-air. If you focus fire them down they are really weak.

Each race has things that are annoying to counter. That doesnt make it OP
Like Terran has cloaking banshees, slowing mauraders, stim pack, seige tanks, scanning, etc
Zerg has creep, fast lings, banelings, roaches (burrow->heal+move), infestors

doug likes this.
Old 09-03-2010 at 07:57 PM   #96
Ahi88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
You're gonna need more than "because it's not" to back that up.

- Photon cannons
- Warp gates
- Void rays

I can point out units/tech of terran and zerg too, and we'd have 3 overpowered races. Which one is more OP?...What about these units/tech?

I agree Zerg's the hardest to play with at any level, and it needs a buff. Ask any good player (Diamond ~1000+) and they'd agree. I also understand, that, doesn't matter for lower levels.

Protoss is the easiest to play for beginners. Terran feels complicated, but their lenient margin of error makes them very potent regardless. Zerg on the other hand demands good fundamentals from the lowest levels of play. One must juggle economy and army with their numbered larvae, where the other races can make both at once, and cancel a unit without losses. Zerg's also not intuitive, with their creep spread and queens. They're just plain difficult to use.

ZvP however is the most balanced match-up at high levels. The win-loss ratio is about 50%. There are more protoss players though because Terran doesn't rape them as hard as they rape zerg.

My point is protoss isn't OP, Zerg's mechanics just have a difficult learning curve against them. Terran's OP, because even at the top 8, 4 players are terran, with ~60% win rate over the others.
Old 09-03-2010 at 08:05 PM   #97
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahi88 View Post
I can point out units/tech of terran and zerg too, and we'd have 3 overpowered races. Which one is more OP?...What about these units/tech?

I agree Zerg's the hardest to play with at any level, and it needs a buff. Ask any good player (Diamond ~1000+) and they'd agree. I also understand, that, doesn't matter for lower levels.

Protoss is the easiest to play for beginners. Terran feels complicated, but their lenient margin of error makes them very potent regardless. Zerg on the other hand demands good fundamentals from the lowest levels of play. One must juggle economy and army with their numbered larvae, where the other races can make both at once, and cancel a unit without losses. Zerg's also not intuitive, with their creep spread and queens. They're just plain difficult to use.

ZvP however is the most balanced match-up at high levels. The win-loss ratio is about 50%. There are more protoss players though because Terran doesn't rape them as hard as they rape zerg.

My point is protoss isn't OP, Zerg's mechanics just have a difficult learning curve against them. Terran's OP, because even at the top 8, 4 players are terran, with ~60% win rate over the others.
This.

Protoss is not overpowered. I think they're pretty fair - EVERY unit has a counter, but all of its units are useful in their own right. They have some annoying but not impossible to deal with strategies.

That's how it should be, though.

Terran is slightly too strong at the moment, which is why we're seeing patch notes regarding a nerf to reapers and seige tanks.

doug likes this.
Old 09-03-2010 at 08:39 PM   #98
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

terran is too strong in the sense that their units in a small ball are so powerful and cheap (infantry). Dropships are extremely mobile and super strong compared to overlords/warp prisms (not comparing nydus) Mech is really hard to break due to high damage and very inefficient when trying to destroy mech. Viking range.. omg
Old 09-03-2010 at 09:04 PM   #99
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Hehe, freaking tanks and vikings...

13 range and 9 range respectively, what the hell? Roaches have 3...
Old 09-03-2010 at 09:19 PM   #100
Ahi88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Hehe, freaking tanks and vikings...

13 range and 9 range respectively, what the hell? Roaches have 3...
Lmao
And don't forget Thors' 10 range, +1 against light, and 0.5 splash radius against air if you ever try to win the air battle, with your 6 range corruptors, that clump of perfectly to get raped.
Old 09-04-2010 at 10:04 AM   #101
zeChinaman

Liked: 7 Times

The magic box, while requiring more intensive micro than usual, has interesting effects on mutas (or any air unit I suppose) vs thors.
Old 09-04-2010 at 08:53 PM   #102
Twohands

Liked: 0 Times

Hello everyone,

First post on this forum, thought maybe i should post it here ^^.

Kerrigan.610

Add me!
Old 09-06-2010 at 04:19 PM   #103
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times

Just got this game two weeks ago and im not that good yet (somehow managed to get into gold 1v1 O.o, probably played some newplayers (or people just fooling around) i guess add me

think my id is YakAttack

Edit: My bad YakAttack#204 so i guess my character code is 204

Last edited by Yakattack : 09-06-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2010 at 10:31 PM   #104
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

@yak u need char code id
Old 09-08-2010 at 11:47 AM   #105
Panda92
Account Locked

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Hey my Id is Panda, character code 590 . im diamond in 1v1 2v2 and 3v3 =) add me up and we can play together