MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STATS 1L03 to prepare for HTH SCI 2A03? Sunny_GL2UA! Academics 9 06-29-2010 09:03 AM
Stats 1L03 goodnews.inc 1st Year Course Reviews 1 04-09-2010 07:55 PM
Stats 1L03 - Difficulty Jake General Discussion 3 09-13-2009 12:21 AM

Stats 1L03

Old 10-28-2009 at 11:29 PM   #1
John H

Liked: 21 Times

Stats 1L03
For anyone taking this course, how are you finding it so far? I'm finding it a pain. Was this course meant to be this hard? This course is basically for people that haven't completed data management in grade 12. I know people that have pulled 90s in data management. However, with this course, it's so hard to even score a 70-80% on the tests...

Also, for anyone that has taken this course already, any advice in terms of studying?

Thanks.

Last edited by John H : 10-28-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2009 at 11:36 PM   #2
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Well, expectations are much higher in university. I took this course last year, and didn't find it difficult at all (I'm not that great in math either). In terms of advice...attend the lectures, tutorials, and do the questions in the textbook. You shouldn't have a problem scoring at least a 10 in the course.

Also, as I've mentioned in a previous thread, I would highly recommend going to the Math Help Centre. It's very useful!

Btw, who's your professor?

Last edited by Kevin S : 10-28-2009 at 11:40 PM.

John H says thanks to Kevin S for this post.
Old 10-29-2009 at 12:49 PM   #3
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Yeah, I'm finding this course difficult as well even though I do every problem in the textbook, attend every lecture and tutorial. I do go to the math help centre occasionally. The prof is Yazinski. He's a really awesome professor, he just makes hard tests lol...

Old 10-29-2009 at 01:40 PM   #4
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

I was horrible in math in gr 12...But in first year i went to the math help center everyday (yes, everyday M-F) and did my homwork there and asked the TAs a billion questions and ended up with an A....My first A in math ever...So dont give up, keep trying and ask questions-even if you think you understand something, you may not 'fully' understand it so always ask for clarification. It may not pay off during the midterms, but it will in final
Old 10-29-2009 at 05:33 PM   #5
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
For anyone taking this course, how are you finding it so far? I'm finding it a pain. Was this course meant to be this hard? This course is basically for people that haven't completed data management in grade 12. I know people that have pulled 90s in data management. However, with this course, it's so hard to even score a 70-80% on the tests...

Also, for anyone that has taken this course already, any advice in terms of studying?

Thanks.
Courses at the university level (all subjects – math included) are extremely different from courses at the high school level. Because of this difference, when you enter university, your marks will usually drop by 10-15%. So if you are finding stats 1L03 hard, or your marks aren’t as good as you expect, do not stress. You definitely aren’t alone. You just need to figure out what you can do to improve.

In terms of math, you should be doing ALL of your practise problems (as well as past tests/quizzes if they are provided). As the previous posts mention, you should also attend lectures and tutorials. But most importantly, you should strive to understand concepts. I find that in statistics, it is very easy to just start memorizing equations and procedures without truly getting the gist of things. This is VERY bad. You need to know why you are using specific formulas so you can apply them in the future. When doing practise problems, focus on the differences and similarities between problems, along with the solution methods. If you do not know why you are using a specific formula or why you are using different formulas for two similar problems, you should ask your professor or a TA.

Hope that helps!

Kevin S likes this.
Old 10-29-2009 at 07:47 PM   #6
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
The prof is Yazinski. He's a really awesome professor, he just makes hard tests lol...
Ah I see. I had Dr. Azgin.

Some great advice above.
Old 10-29-2009 at 10:37 PM   #7
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
Ah I see. I had Dr. Azgin.

Some great advice above.
oooh. I think I have him for 1M03. How is he?