MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
it's fun to stay at the L-C-B-O ... macbaby07 General Discussion 3 08-30-2010 03:08 PM
Can you stay just one semester in residence? drew4008 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-26-2010 03:31 PM
Ways to Stay Awake lawleypop General Discussion 47 11-17-2009 07:02 PM
Will I get to stay in? MidniteSpark Academics 1 05-22-2009 10:05 AM

How to Stay Awake in Lecture

How to Stay Awake in Lecture
BY NICOLE FERREIRA, MACINSIDERS

Must stay awake. *head bob* Must take notes. Oh no, 45 more minutes to go! Some lectures just aren’t as exciting as others. If you’re lucky (or in the classes that suit you best) this won’t be a concern for you. Yet sometimes no matter how passionate we are about a topic we just can’t manage to stay awake. Instead of skipping class to avoid sleeping in it try some of these things first!

Make sure you sit at the Front
When you’re face to face with the professor it makes it slightly harder to fall asleep. At the front, the lights are brighter, the professor is louder and you’re more likely to be the person to answer all of their questions. The front row is the anti-sleep row. You’ll be required to stay on the ball mainly because the professor assumes that those in the front row are keeners. Now this isn’t completely fool proof, as I’ve still seen people pass out in the front row. But hey, at least the rest of the class gets to little laugh when the professor decides to point out the drool on your shirt.

Get enough Sleep
Staying up until 5 am to finish up that essay that’s due at 8:30 isn’t going to make the situation any easier. Go to bed early especially if you know that your classes start at 8:30 and you’re not much of a morning person. On average, I go to bed at about 10 and even I am extremely tired when I have classes that start at 9:30. We’re in University juggling classes, work, assignments and cleaning on really bad diets. We’re easily exhausted. Take naps throughout the day but for no more than 30 minutes at a time. Make sure that you don’t drink coffee right before you go to bed either since odds are you won’t have a good sleep (if you even do end up falling asleep).

Write your notes by Hand
We all know that you’re not 100% focused when you bring your laptop in class. We’ve seen what you’ve written on Facebook and on MSN and we’ve seen you lose that game of solitaire. Not only are you distracting yourself, you’re distracting the rest of the people sitting behind you. When you actually write your notes by hand you’re required to focus on what the professor is saying while writing it down. There aren’t any added distractions to your hand written notes. It is also a bit more time consuming and requires more effort which also wakes you up a tad.

Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the day
Without food, you would die, literally. Make sure you eat throughout the day. Being too busy to eat is a bad excuse. Try to eat as much as you can in the morning. Focus on cereals and fruits or even eggs. You should also bring snacks to class if you have several back to back. Just pretend to not see the sign that says “No food or drinks in lecture.” Sometimes, we’re stuck with night classes. Yes, those glorious three hour night classes! Make sure you eat dinner before attending and definitely bring a snack with you to wake you up a bit. The healthier you eat the more alert you’ll be. So bring those fruits like apples and veggies to class and you’ll be wide awake in no time!

Prepare, Prepare, Prepare
Sometimes knowing what the topic is makes it more exciting! Read the text before lecture or even just read a summary about what the topic will be about. Plus, it helps your notes out when you actually know what the professor is talking about. It also boosts your self-esteem when you can raise your hand and answer his/her questions. If you’re raising your hand to answer questions, and you’re remembering the information read as you write your notes you’ll be more likely to stay awake in lecture!

Sit with a Friend that can wake you up
I can say that I have experienced first hand a random guy falling asleep next to me using my shoulder as a pillow. Even though I’m flattered that I have a comfy shoulder and that I had a good laugh when he woke up, it was still kind of weird. If you do happen to doze off, a friend will hit you to wake you up so that you can focus again whereas a stranger is more likely to let it happen. So have a wake up support team near by so that you’ll be wide awake in lecture!

When All Else Fails…
There are 7 Tim Horton’s on campus. You have more than enough access to coffee. We all know that it can keep most of us awake so drink it in the morning right before your 8:30. You’re bound to wake up in no time! A cup of coffee is bound to reduce lethargy… and lower your chances of depression, diabetes and even Parkinson’s disease!

If none of the above work for you at all, it may be best to consult a doctor. You may be lacking vitamins or you may have a sleeping disorder. There are sleep clinics that will be able to diagnose you accordingly. You’d be required to sleep overnight with wires in your hair, on your head, on your legs and on your arms and with wires up your nose—it’s pretty uncomfortable. However, it only lasts a night and afterwards the appropriate treatment is given and then you’ll be in top shape!
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-11-2008 at 09:26 AM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
Great tips Nicole!

Old 09-11-2008 at 09:57 AM   #3
Kevin

Liked: 1 Time
I wanna get one of those glasses that have the eyes drawn on them I'd be using them so much aha

Old 09-11-2008 at 11:52 AM   #4
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time
Also, try to lift your feet off of the ground as this could potentially help wake you up.

Old 09-11-2008 at 12:02 PM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
I heard a news article on the radio once about staying awake in cars, i guess it could also apply:
-Drink pop instead of coffee because you can be sure about its sugar and caffeine content, whereas coffee varies
-Suck on mints - the object in your mouth keeps you preoccupied with it and the minty flavour wakes your brain up
-Cough! It gives your heart a little jump

just dont be that guy thats constantly sniffling, sneezing and coughing! we all probably want to kill him... lol

Old 09-11-2008 at 05:57 PM   #6
Stan

Liked: 10 Times
Good Guide, there's actually 8 Tim Hortons on Campus.

Old 09-11-2008 at 10:03 PM   #7
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times
When did we get the 8th one?

I should have taken my own advice for today's tonight class!

Old 09-14-2008 at 06:09 PM   #8
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times
Aw, I only know of 3 of the 8 Timmy's around campus.
* 1 in MUSC
* 1 in the athletic centre
* 1 in MDCL
Any help as to where the other 5 are located?

Old 09-14-2008 at 09:05 PM   #9
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times
theres one in health sci centre too..

i think chewing gum might help as well..pop in some new game as soon as class starts and you should be ok

my only boring lecture is ENG1D04 lol..jeez half an hr of yawning...hopefully it gets interesting this week!

Moo!io says thanks to kenvin100 for this post.

Old 09-16-2008 at 06:20 PM   #10
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times
1 in Mo-Mac Building (aka IAHS)
1 in JHE
1 in Keyes (in My Mini Mac)

I'm not sure, but I think there might be a Timmies in the CNH basement as well...? But some of these are only 'mini-Timmies', as in there are no actual servers like in the student centre, and consequently less variety...

Moo!io says thanks to nh999 for this post.

Article Tools