MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Feeling stressed? Come out to OPEN HAPPINESS! Fredder Clubs & Groups 0 11-14-2010 12:59 AM
Stressed! A Musical Revue kairi9089 MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-13-2010 03:34 PM
Take A Break! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 04-16-2008 09:35 PM

Stressed? Take a break, Write a novel!

What are you doing this November?

Why not write a novel in a month?

November is National Novel Writing Month, (NaNoWriMo), and during these 30 days, thousands of people take the challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in a month. (That's 1667 words a day).

Why, you ask? Why not? How many times have you said you would like to write a novel, but then pushed that thought aside as an unattainable dream instead of an achievable goal? If you're looking for a real-world application, Water for Elephants, the best-selling novel that recently came out as a movie, was written during NaNoWriMo. Really.

You don't need a plot, you don't need to be a good writer. Just write! If you can write 50,000 words between november 1st, and november 30th, you "win".
Are there any prizes? You'll get a winner's certificate if you succeed, and in the past few years, CreateSpace has offered winners a free proof copy of their novel. Yeah, that's right. A physical copy of your book. Sounds awesome, right?

So what's the catch? There is none! It's one month of adrenaline rushes, spontaneous plot twists and ctrl+s reflexes. Don't worry about not having the time--- you can always find time during the day, maybe between classes, on your commute home, etc.
Set aside some writing time, and you'll find that it'll help you improve your time management skills.

For more information, or if you feel like reading a much better description of nano, check out the site: http://nanowrimo.org/en/about/whatisnano

If you want to join some write-ins, head on over to the regional hamilton forums and let us know in the Mac thread when you're free!

“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.” - Leonard Bernstein

Faer says thanks to anon491 for this post.

Published by
Professional Fangirl

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 10-29-2011 at 09:15 PM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member
Program: ------------
Year: Other

Liked: 227 Times
sounds interesting
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 10-29-2011 at 09:20 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Ooh, this is definitely awesome!
Old 10-29-2011 at 09:20 PM   #4
Faer
Elite Member
Faculty: Humanities
Year: PhD
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 338 Times
I attest to this. This is one of the best things that has EVER happened to me. Thanks for posting this, ooburii!

Old 10-29-2011 at 09:32 PM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl
Faculty: Science
Year: Alumni

Liked: 453 Times
No problemo! Gotta spread the word

By the way guys, I, Faer and a few others will be hosting write-ins over november, so if you're interested, head over to the hamilton region forum and let us know in the mac thread when you're free! We can hang out, word-war and provide writer-ly encouragement.

Faer likes this.
Old 10-29-2011 at 09:40 PM   #6
Faer
Elite Member

Yes, we will be! And it will be fun and epic.

You can write on any subject you want, you can write as bad as you want, and you can write as little or most as you want.

For incentive: sometimes, Createspace sponsors NaNoWriMo (they have been doing this for at least three/four years, though no word's been spread this time). What they do, then, is provide winners (if you reach 50,000 words and verify) with a totally free PROOF COPY of your novel. Which means, it's like a published copy, but not published (though you can choose to self-publish it through Amazon).

This may sound like false-advertising, but it's not. Last time they announced their sponsorship like halfway through the month. So though it's not true YET, it might well be (though it might not be, too).

Cool or what? I have pics I can upload if anyone wants to see. Got mine this summer!
Old 10-29-2011 at 09:46 PM   #7
anon491
Professional Fangirl

I would like to see those pics :o
never got around to editing my novels in the past years that I've won, so I missed out on the offers, out of pure laziness loool. but I regret it! They usually turn out so nice.

and yeah, but I'm about 80% sure createspace is going to do their offer again. even if they didn't, jus the accomplishment of having written a novel is fulfilling enough

Last edited by anon491 : 10-29-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2011 at 09:50 PM   #8
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill
Year: Masters

Liked: 423 Times
You said they make copies of the winners' novels. How many winners are there? 1st, 2nd and 3rd place?
Old 10-29-2011 at 09:52 PM   #9
Faer
Elite Member

Oh, sorry if it wasn't clear enough - if you reach 50,000 words in a month, you're a winner. So technically, there are ~100,000 (more than that?) winners every year! Not only that, you get discounts and access to many writing websites!

The spine:

That's my hand. .___.

Also, 'Lady's my NaNoWriMo handle.

Last edited by Faer : 10-29-2011 at 09:56 PM.

anon491, Yogurt like this.
Old 10-29-2011 at 09:52 PM   #10
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
You said they make copies of the winners' novels. How many winners are there? 1st, 2nd and 3rd place?
anyone who writes 50 000 words by november 31st is a winner it's not a competition between people.
you get a copy of your own novel.
Old 10-29-2011 at 09:54 PM   #11
anon491
Professional Fangirl

I've edited it to make it a bit clearer.
Old 10-29-2011 at 10:13 PM   #12
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member
Program: Mechatronics Engineering

Liked: 103 Times
That is pretty awesome Faer! 50,000 words in a month is pretty daunting haha good job!

Faer says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.

Faer likes this.
Old 10-29-2011 at 10:14 PM   #13
Faer
Elite Member

Haha, thank you!
Old 10-29-2011 at 10:26 PM   #14
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill
Year: Masters

Liked: 423 Times
I just went through the site and no where did I find that they will make a hard copy of your novel if you reach over 50,000 words. Are you sure about this?
Old 10-29-2011 at 10:31 PM   #15
Faer
Elite Member

Like I've mentioned, they 'renew' their sponsorship year to year. They haven't announced anything yet, so we don't know. However, last year, they didn't announce anything till the middle of the month/event, either. It's a hit-or-miss situation, but considering the response, I'm pretty sure they will offer it again.

But yes, it's possible it might not be offered this year (though fingers crossed that it will be!)

Last edited by Faer : 10-29-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search