MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Looks like the strike is over. michelle General Discussion 46 11-11-2009 09:17 AM
how likely is the strike? secretone General Discussion 113 10-31-2009 11:57 AM
strike? secretone General Discussion 22 10-31-2009 11:32 AM
HSR Strike lorend ARCHIVES 0 11-15-2007 12:21 AM

Strike

Old 09-02-2009 at 11:48 AM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Dude, if I have to get stilts just to get to class, I'd do it. But I'm afraid of heights so... hrrm.

This all sounds a little ridiculous though. I hope they'll agree to the offer.
Old 09-02-2009 at 11:50 AM   #17
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I just thought it wasn't allowed anywhere (though I have seen it - perhaps they have to let vehicles through? I don't know)
Old 09-02-2009 at 12:12 PM   #18
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

It's not illegal to block entrances for more than 5 minutes. They are allowed to block the pathway for 5 minutes max.
The reason why people picket is not just to piss people off, but is to raise awareness of their problems.

.:callen:., c.erl like this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 12:13 PM   #19
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Has anyone seen the University's offer? I just read it.

What do you think the chances of the union voting in favour of the current offer are?
Old 09-02-2009 at 12:15 PM   #20
Greco

5 minutes max? They did it for HOURS at York lol! Actually days. Even the most recent garbage strike. It took at least an hour to get into the garbage stations to drop-off garbage because they blocked the entrances and caused fights with residents trying to get rid of garbage.

I don't think any striking party follows the 5 minute rule, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
It's not illegal to block entrances for more than 5 minutes. They are allowed to block the pathway for 5 minutes max.
The reason why people picket is not just to piss people off, but is to raise awareness of their problems.
Old 09-02-2009 at 12:29 PM   #21
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Quote:
Finally, someone else gets it! High five

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 12:30 PM   #22
janeller

Liked: 3 Times

They won't necessarily block the entrances but even if they do, buses don't cross pickett lines so they won't go on campus; they'll stop on main street. Also, they can pickett at any main entrance. For example, when Mac striked a few years ago, they picketted at the Cootes entrance, near the entrance from main street and also sterling street.
Old 09-02-2009 at 12:36 PM   #23
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeller View Post
They won't necessarily block the entrances but even if they do, buses don't cross pickett lines so they won't go on campus; they'll stop on main street. Also, they can pickett at any main entrance. For example, when Mac striked a few years ago, they picketted at the Cootes entrance, near the entrance from main street and also sterling street.
Main Street entrance? But that's the hospital. :/
Old 09-02-2009 at 12:40 PM   #24
janeller

Liked: 3 Times

yes but they do it farther down... near the new eng building.
Old 09-02-2009 at 12:45 PM   #25
Greco

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
That entrance branches off into two roadways. Like I said in my previous post, they'll just block off the road leading onto Campus, and not the hospital loop roadway.
Old 09-02-2009 at 12:48 PM   #26
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Well the street comes from main and then branches to the hospital and the university. Basically they'd be blocking the road at the bus stop right after main. This way, there's still hospital access.
Old 09-02-2009 at 01:06 PM   #27
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
Finally, someone else gets it! High five
By definition, a picket (when used in the union sense) is "a person stationed by a union or the like outside a factory, store, mine, etc., in order to dissuade or prevent workers or customers from entering it during a strike."

Nothing about raising awareness. Unions can claim that all they want, but there's a thousand ways to raise awareness, that don't prevent people from getting to where they want to go.
Old 09-02-2009 at 01:37 PM   #28
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
By definition, a picket (when used in the union sense) is "a person stationed by a union or the like outside a factory, store, mine, etc., in order to dissuade or prevent workers or customers from entering it during a strike."

Nothing about raising awareness. Unions can claim that all they want, but there's a thousand ways to raise awareness, that don't prevent people from getting to where they want to go.
throw in, "in order to protest" as well.
no need to get with the technicalities, things have changed since the 50s. modern times have changed and strikes have adjusted.
you can't judge people that have their careers and future on the line that picket by a single definition. yeah, they can hand out flyers, waste paper and see people just throw them on the ground. yeah, that's really affective awareness. even with all the news coverage on here, the mac website, and news, many people, especially students don't know what exactly is going on. what better way to do it then get in their face when people try to go to school?? lol

also the 5 minute rule i should have been more clear. 5 minutes is the max amount of time they can block one vehicle from entering. if there's a line-up its clearly going to be longer...and yeah no one abides by the rules all the time

Last edited by TTHX : 09-02-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2009 at 01:51 PM   #29
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
what better way to do it then get in their face when people try to go to school?? lol

also the 5 minute rule i should have been more clear. 5 minutes is the max amount of time they can block one vehicle from entering. if there's a line-up its clearly going to be longer...and yeah no one abides by the rules all the time

At whose expense? Sure, they can do all they want to make us aware. What is this going to accomplish? We, as students, have little to no affect on the terms of their employment, so protest to someone who can do something about it. They are far more likely to piss people off and turn them against their cause. I'd be far more likely to sympathize with them if they weren't disrupting my education, by preventing me from getting to class.

When I'm late for a lecture that I've worked hard to pay for, I really don't give a s**t about arguing the terms of pensions/employment that I have zero control over. I want to get to my class.

Old 09-02-2009 at 02:05 PM   #30
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
throw in, "in order to protest" as well.
no need to get with the technicalities, things have changed since the 50s. modern times have changed and strikes have adjusted.
you can't judge people that have their careers and future on the line that picket by a single definition. yeah, they can hand out flyers, waste paper and see people just throw them on the ground. yeah, that's really affective awareness. even with all the news coverage on here, the mac website, and news, many people, especially students don't know what exactly is going on. what better way to do it then get in their face when people try to go to school?? lol

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to redefine English words, so I can't "throw in" anything :p

Those same methods you mention work for others (Cancer research, anyone?), why not for a union? Theres no need to disrupt the lives of thousands of people for the sake of people that don't even work for the union yet, or the hypothetical crumbling of a plan for existing employees.

Taunton likes this.