MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Looks like the strike is over. michelle General Discussion 46 11-11-2009 09:17 AM
how likely is the strike? secretone General Discussion 113 10-31-2009 11:57 AM
strike? secretone General Discussion 22 10-31-2009 11:32 AM
HSR Strike lorend ARCHIVES 0 11-15-2007 12:21 AM

Strike

Old 09-02-2009 at 02:47 PM   #31
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The people who are being most inconvenienced are the people who have the least impact on the decision. Blocking students from getting to class will accomplish nothing. Some students also work on campus and need to get to work on time to pay rent and buy groceries ...

macsci, Taunton like this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 02:55 PM   #32
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
throw in, "in order to protest" as well.
no need to get with the technicalities, things have changed since the 50s. modern times have changed and strikes have adjusted.
you can't judge people that have their careers and future on the line that picket by a single definition. yeah, they can hand out flyers, waste paper and see people just throw them on the ground. yeah, that's really affective awareness. even with all the news coverage on here, the mac website, and news, many people, especially students don't know what exactly is going on. what better way to do it then get in their face when people try to go to school?? lol

also the 5 minute rule i should have been more clear. 5 minutes is the max amount of time they can block one vehicle from entering. if there's a line-up its clearly going to be longer...and yeah no one abides by the rules all the time
by preventing me from going to class, these people are not going to win me over. They're going to make me mad, frustrated, and not at all sympathetic to their own situation. I'm sure they're protesting for a reason, maybe they do deserve what they are protesting for, but what can I do about it? Why do they interfere with my life? If there's a way that I can help them, TELL ME, dont just ruin my day!

Geek, Taunton like this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 02:55 PM   #33
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Agreed.
I smell a human cannon ball coming on. Who's with me!

katie_batt, Taunton like this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 02:57 PM   #34
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
The reason why people picket is not just to piss people off
Yet this is usually what ends up happening.
Old 09-02-2009 at 03:10 PM   #35
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Unfortunately picketing will be the action that attracts the most attention to the strikers. That being said, the attention they'll attract by blocking off entrance ways won't be positive attention that's for sure.

There's no point in arguing a picket though, they'll do it anyway. It's always been this way.

adrian likes this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 03:33 PM   #36
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Let's pick at their picket.

Or...picket it.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-02-2009 at 03:40 PM   #37
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
The reason why people picket is not just to piss people off, but is to raise awareness of their problems.
This may be true, but the point of blocking an entrance is not to raise awareness. The point of blocking an entrance is only to discourage people from entering (which, for a store might make sense since they would be discouraging potential customers). They can picket and raise awareness without blocking any entrances. The fact that they choose not to signals that it isn't awareness they're after- its inconvenience.

I dunno, I always thought the purpose of a strike was to demonstrate how valuable you were to the employer, and that it would be cheaper to meet your demands than to bring in and train a new work force. It seems to have devolved into demonstrating how much of a nuisance you can be if they don't meet your demands.

lawleypop, reeves, Taunton like this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 04:01 PM   #38
ZZZZZZZZ

Liked: 2 Times

are there any secret routes into campus incase main entrances are blocked?
Old 09-02-2009 at 04:10 PM   #39
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZZ View Post
are there any secret routes into campus incase main entrances are blocked?
On foot or on bike there are limitless ways to avoid the main entrances. By car I don't think so (although I don't drive to school, they could exist ). Your best option might be to park off campus and walk the rest of the way.
Old 09-02-2009 at 04:11 PM   #40
ZZZZZZZZ

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
On foot or on bike there are limitless ways to avoid the main entrances. By car I don't think so (although I don't drive to school, they could exist ). Your best option might be to park off campus and walk the rest of the way.
Thanks
Old 09-02-2009 at 04:31 PM   #41
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
Finally, someone else gets it! High five
Gets it? Not a chance.

Raising awareness towards whom? It's not as if the students of the University are making the decision. It is the University administration and they already know of the issue and have made their stance.

The point of a picket line, and the point to strikes is to show the opposing party that your party is indispensable, assertive, and at the very least, that they can disrupt the workings of the organization if their demands are not met.

Activism is built upon the foundations of disruption and disobedience. Terrorism is activism with large scale violence and damage.

plutoz likes this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 04:46 PM   #42
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Re: buses vehicles being blocked. Get off the bus before the picket then you don't have to wait! Aside from the 5 minute rule at the line. If you have a car, park at a friend's house and walk.

Problem solved. :|
Old 09-02-2009 at 04:46 PM   #43
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

If there is a strike, and there are picketers picketing the university entrances, how is this going to effect residence move in on Saturday/Sunday?
Old 09-02-2009 at 04:49 PM   #44
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Aside from the 5 minute rule at the line.
There won't be a 5-minute rule if I encounter a picket. They can't do anything forceful to stop you, and if they lay one finger on you, they've broken the law.
Old 09-02-2009 at 04:50 PM   #45
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-gal View Post
If there is a strike, and there are picketers picketing the university entrances, how is this going to effect residence move in on Saturday/Sunday?
I honestly doubt there would be much of an effect, since there's usually a line of cars anyways, so you would end up waiting for your alloted time to cross the picket line by simply waiting in line.