MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Taking Math Calculus course 1f03 how shouldi prepare for it and stats 1l03 harman911 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-27-2010 12:22 PM
STATS 1L03 to prepare for HTH SCI 2A03? Sunny_GL2UA! Academics 9 06-29-2010 09:03 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM
How can I prepare myself for Welcome Week? Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 36 09-06-2009 11:11 PM

Strike Go Prepare Sequence Initiate

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:46 PM   #1
Our Luck

Liked: 2 Times

Strike Go Prepare Sequence Initiate
As is usual with internet forums, I've noticed a lot of misinformation about the TA strike, unions and the university administration.

Too often members of the forum spread grossly oversimplified views of the situation (I'm looking at you, TAUNTON).

This is problematic when:

a) the people spreading these views are not involved and therefore have no idea what they're talking about

and

b) when the majority of other students get their information from such sources rather than seeking the truth (ie, actually READING the union's position and then READING the university's position, attending meetings, etc.)

These people hold on to their narrow views and then defend them bitterly despite not having adequate information. For other examples, consider every other problem that has ever happened in all of history.

That being said, I won't offer my opinion. Instead I implore EVERYONE here to read the university's position, read the union's position and recognize that there are strong pros and cons for unions.

Please don't post "CUPE BLOWSZ OMGZ" as that is incredibly counter-productive. We're university students, not flaming trolls. We're discussing our education, not Britney Spears' pot belly.

Remember that there are two sides to everything.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:48 PM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Luck View Post
As is usual with internet forums, I've noticed a lot of misinformation about the TA strike, unions and the university administration.

Too often members of the forum spread grossly oversimplified views of the situation (I'm looking at you, TAUNTON).
Say what you will, you're entitled to your opinion.

I'm quite well informed on the topics of the strike and of unions.

EDIT: I'm beginning to enjoy how people are targeting me. That means I'm doing my job, and I'm doing it well.

Last edited by Taunton : 11-01-2009 at 11:51 PM.

DannyV, sew12, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:50 PM   #3
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

i get the point, however i think its really childish when you try to single out a specific individual. BTW CUPE does "blow", my education is the only side i consider, i worked hard to get where i am as did other students and being a TA is such an honor, personally i would do it for next to nothing. The internal satisfaction of helping other students is worth more then money.

DannyV, mudathto, Taunton all say thanks to fasailuddin for this post.

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:51 PM   #4
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:

stop with the personal attacks...Find something better to do

DannyV, Taunton all say thanks to manu for this post.

Melpomene, mudathto, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:53 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

There are definitely two sides of the coin.

On the one hand, I understand the union's concerns (and at one point took the 'pro-union' stance as a poster on these forums), because some of the work issues are serious problems...I think people might be a little too hung up on how much the hourly wage is, and not looking into the other issues such as the overwork, etc.

However...though I can appreciate the union's concern for a strike and understand (I hope) their reasons (be they good and bad), I definitely do not support the union's decision to strike without asking me first...there's nothing complicated about my position, it's a rather simple courtesy that I'm being denied.

I've not had an opportunity to vote on the university's offer (I've merely had, a very short notice, opportunity to vote on the slight possibility of overturning their decision, which they made without my consent). I enjoy my work, and I don't think it's fair that I'm being ordered off the job without having any chance to give my input.

Perhaps if a real vote was held and we had unquestionable certainty that the majority TAs want this strike...I'd still be supporting the union.

kleung likes this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:56 PM   #6
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

What the hell did Ben do to deserve all the flak all of a sudden?

We're all entitled to our opinions!
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:56 PM   #7
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

The way you pretend to be neutral about this situation, Our Luck, is beyond funny. I agree that it is just childish to single someone out in a post like this.

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:59 PM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMal View Post
What the hell did Ben do to deserve all the flak all of a sudden?

We're all entitled to our opinions!
I spoke my mind.... it's all it takes, especially on heated topics like these.

Apparently I'm threatening to the unionists
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:00 AM   #9
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:

This is problematic when:

a) the people spreading these views are not involved and therefore have no idea what they're talking about

and

b) when the majority of other students get their information from such sources rather than seeking the truth (ie, actually READING the union's position and then READING the university's position, attending meetings, etc.)

These people hold on to their narrow views and then defend them bitterly despite not having adequate information. For other examples, consider every other problem that has ever happened in all of history.

That being said, I won't offer my opinion. Instead I implore EVERYONE here to read the university's position, read the union's position and recognize that there are strong pros and cons for unions.

Please don't post "CUPE BLOWSZ OMGZ" as that is incredibly counter-productive. We're university students, not flaming trolls. We're discussing our education, not Britney Spears' pot belly.

Remember that there are two sides to everything.
Hmmm, one post, and signed up today to post this.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

DannyV likes this.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:03 AM   #10
Our Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
There are definitely two sides of the coin.

However...though I can appreciate the union's concern for a strike and understand (I hope) their reasons (be they good and bad), I definitely do not support the union's decision to strike without asking me first...there's nothing complicated about my position, it's a rather simple courtesy that I'm being denied.

Perhaps if a real vote was held and we had unquestionable certainty that the majority TAs want this strike...I'd still be supporting the union.
Mowicz;

You DID get the chance to vote tonight. There was a vote held on whether or not to open ratification of the university's final offer. If we had voted yes, then it would have happened. If you didn't attend the meeting that's your fault?

Regarding childishness:

Sue me, I'm childish. Apologies to "TAUNTON," it was the name I saw most frequently as I read the posts. I'm sure his feelings aren't hurt.

Regarding being neutral:

I'm not neutral, I'm against a strike.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:04 AM   #11
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

lol my troll thread was better.

PTGregD, Taunton like this.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:06 AM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Mowicz;

You DID get the chance to vote tonight. There was a vote held on whether or not to open ratification of the university's final offer. If we had voted yes, then it would have happened. If you didn't attend the meeting that's your fault?
I agree that it's important to look at issues from both sides.

Unfortunately, many TAs were given short notice on the meeting tonight and there was no real indication, aside from a speculation, that there would be a vote.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:07 AM   #13
Our Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I agree that it's important to look at issues from both sides.

Unfortunately, many TAs were given short notice on the vote tonight and there was no real indication aside from a speculation that there would be a vote.
That's true, but at ANY general meeting there is the possibility to call for a vote. We've been talking about this strike for a long time now.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:08 AM   #14
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Taunton is the man!

Taunton says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:14 AM   #15
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

If there was only a way to distinguish the Cupe members from the Ta's. I would be able to use those eggs i had left from halloween. Meh i guess i could always make an omelet.

DannyV likes this.