MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Taking Math Calculus course 1f03 how shouldi prepare for it and stats 1l03 harman911 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-27-2010 12:22 PM
STATS 1L03 to prepare for HTH SCI 2A03? Sunny_GL2UA! Academics 9 06-29-2010 09:03 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM
How can I prepare myself for Welcome Week? Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 36 09-06-2009 11:11 PM

Strike Go Prepare Sequence Initiate

Old 11-02-2009 at 12:14 AM   #16
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Luck View Post
Mowicz;

You DID get the chance to vote tonight. There was a vote held on whether or not to open ratification of the university's final offer. If we had voted yes, then it would have happened. If you didn't attend the meeting that's your fault?
It's really not. For all you know, I've gone to Germany for a conference over the weekend. How does that change the circumstance?

The fact is: It was incredibly short notice, (I don't care what was said during the meeting, realistically it was less than 24 hours) with a very low voter turn-out (approx. 300/2000). I don't care about the union's games enough to sabotage my own academic status, I had more important things to do...and I'm sure many other members of unit 1 had similar issues.

Another fact is: The union made a decision without asking me (which it shouldn't have done in the first place), then figuratively holds up a little doggy treat. "You want it boy?" That's not how it works, the union works for me...not the other way around. I don't pay my union dues to allow CUPE my power of attorney do I? Nor do I pay CUPE union dues to have it do my thinking for me.

That's why I'm going to scab. The union can kiss the fattest part of my ass.

kleung, Maegs, Taunton all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.

AYuen, BlakeM, kleung, PTGregD, Taunton like this.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:15 AM   #17
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
It's really not. For all you know, I've gone to Germany for a conference over the weekend. How does that change the circumstance?

The fact is: It was incredibly short notice, (I don't care what was said during the meeting, realistically it was less than 24 hours) with a very low voter turn-out (approx. 300/2000). I don't care about the union's games enough to sabotage my own academic status, I had more important things to do...and I'm sure many other members of unit 1 had similar issues.

Another fact is: The union made a decision without asking me, then figuratively holds up a little doggy treat. "You want it boy?" That's not how it works, the union works for me...not the other way around.

That's why I'm going to scab. The union can kiss the fattest part of my ass.

and nothing of value was lost
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:18 AM   #18
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
and nothing of value was lost
Whooooosh! *does the hand over head gesture*

You're gonna have to explain that one, I'm not sure I get it...sounds good though.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:20 AM   #19
Our Luck

Liked: 2 Times

@andrew22: I have no idea what you are referring to. English is not my first language?

@Mowicz: I support your decision to scab, but remember that the union is the only reason we get such ridiculously high wages. That people have been fighting for them over the years.

Also, I am NOT in favour of a strike nor of unions. But I do consider them necessary evils. If they weren't there, corporations could just shit on anyone at all times.

Someone could, for example, find a way to fire someone just because they don't like them personally.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:23 AM   #20
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
@andrew22: I have no idea what you are referring to. English is not my first language?

@Mowicz: I support your decision to scab, but remember that the union is the only reason we get such ridiculously high wages. That people have been fighting for them over the years.

Also, I am NOT in favour of a strike nor of unions. But I do consider them necessary evils. If they weren't there, corporations could just shit on anyone at all times.

Someone could, for example, find a way to fire someone just because they don't like them personally.
Maybe TAing is not the job for you if you do it only for the pay and compromising my education is not an issue to you, but is only a "necessary evil". Having someone's education in your hands requires much more dedication than that.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:24 AM   #21
smiles

and why are you asking if English is your first language? Um... I don't know?
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:28 AM   #22
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles View Post
and why are you asking if English is your first language? Um... I don't know?
wow smiles that isnt very nice...

Our Luck i just meant that I also started a thread (where i mockingly put tauntons name in the first post)
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:29 AM   #23
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
True, but we have no way of knowing that the union has done such a marvelous job...like I mentioned recently in another thread, we can't exactly rewind time, see how things would play out without a union and then appreciate what the union has actually accomplished...

So all we can do is appreciate what is being done well (in our own personal judgements), and dislike what's being unfair (again, personal judgement).

I really adamantly oppose the union's decision to refuse a strike vote in the first place...that's what's grinding my gears here. I think if we had such an opportunity (even if I couldn't make it) before the decision was made, and the TAs voted to strike...then I wouldn't feel right about scabbing and I would have to settle my business in another way that was mutually beneficial to the union and my students.

It's childish...petty even. I admit that...but I don't think the union has that kind of power over what I do. And even if the union decides my vote is revoked in future decisions...it's not as if it would be any different, they made the decision for me.

Quote:

This is true in general, but I don't know how well it would describe our TA situation at McMaster. What a lot of people neglect to realize is that TAs both, come highly recommended, and are 'valuable' assets to the university. Be it as either instructors, or as strong researchers. I don't think it would be as easy for Mac to fire TAs as it is for other jobs, say, in industry. (Not to mention that McMaster signs a contract with the TAs, just as students sign a contract with McMaster (Payment agreement)).

Like I said above, we can't conclusively know how much good the union has done...I'd rather be an optimist and believe the union is doing good while it's in place...but I don't know that for sure.

So the take home point: One thing is certain in my mind: the union's done wrong by refusing to let us vote on the contract. By scabbing, in my own little, petty, childish way, I'm punishing CUPE.

Last edited by Mowicz : 11-02-2009 at 12:33 AM.

kleung likes this.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:32 AM   #24
smiles

Quote:
wow smiles that isnt very nice...

Our Luck i just meant that I also started a thread (where i mockingly put tauntons name in the first post)
But that was actually a question... @[email protected]
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:33 AM   #25
Our Luck

Quote:
Maybe TAing is not the job for you if you do it only for the pay and compromising my education is not an issue to you, but is only a "necessary evil". Having someone's education in your hands requires much more dedication than that.
Hi Smiles,

Saying that in itself made me smile.

And what I meant by the question mark was "maybe I don't understand because english is not my first language?"

And regarding your specific point, I absolutely love running tutorials and HATE that the strike may interfere with that.

What I was referring to when I called unions a necessary evil was the fact that there is a lot of union bashing in GENERAL on the forum. I'm talking about companies like Ford, GM, and so on.

lol I don't see how you got "if you do it only for the pay and compromising my education is not an issue to you" out of what I posted but I assure you that's not the case.

Coming to McMaster with an assurance of a TA-ship was one of the prime reasons I chose this school to begin with. I could have just gone somewhere else on a scholarship that involved no "work" whatsoever, this was something I wanted to do.

Mowicz likes this.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:34 AM   #26
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:

lol I don't see how you got "if you do it only for the pay and compromising my education is not an issue to you" out of what I posted but I assure you that's not the case.

I think smiles just expects people to work for her for free and is annoyed when something gets in the way of what her parents paid for
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:35 AM   #27
smiles

Quote:
I think smiles just expects people to work for her for free.
No. But since I paid for it in tuition last year, I expect something out of it.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:40 AM   #28
smiles

Quote:
I think smiles just expects people to work for her for free and is annoyed when something gets in the way of what her parents paid for
That makes no sense. If I expect people to work for me for free, I wouldn't have paid anything in the first place. But since I did pay for it, of course I get angry if something gets in the way of something I paid for. I don't know what you're getting at there.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:40 AM   #29
Our Luck

Quote:
No. But since I paid for it in tuition last year, I expect something out of it.
Expect something for what? What are you talking about? Recall my need for specificity please and thank-you!
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:42 AM   #30
smiles

Quote:
Expect something for what? What are you talking about? Recall my need for specificity please and thank-you!
I paid for TAs tutoring me / conducting my labs in tuition, and I expect that service to happen.