MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Taking Math Calculus course 1f03 how shouldi prepare for it and stats 1l03 harman911 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-27-2010 12:22 PM
STATS 1L03 to prepare for HTH SCI 2A03? Sunny_GL2UA! Academics 9 06-29-2010 09:03 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM
How can I prepare myself for Welcome Week? Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 36 09-06-2009 11:11 PM

Strike Go Prepare Sequence Initiate

Old 11-02-2009 at 12:45 AM   #31
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

"Maybe TAing is not the job for you if you do it only for the pay and compromising my education is not an issue to you, but is only a "necessary evil". Having someone's education in your hands requires much more dedication than that."

you shouldnt be a ta if you care about your pay, your biggest concern should be teaching me. you should be more dedicated to me than yourself.

sry I read this like that. I think I missed your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles View Post
I paid for tutors tutoring me / conducting my labs in tuition, and I expect that service to happen.

but what you are saying now makes sense
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:46 AM   #32
Our Luck

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
I paid for TAs tutoring me / conducting my labs in tuition, and I expect that service to happen.
I cheerfully agree.

But what about the wider systemic problem that so much of your classes are now essentially "taught" by tutors and TA's? Isn't that a larger issue? Shouldn't you raise that concern with the school itself as well?

Where I went to school, tutorials were unheard of. We had professors teaching us everything in classes of 30 or less, which is how I think it should be.

TA's get thrown into a discipline they're not familiar with it's kind of crazy sometimes.

michelle likes this.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:50 AM   #33
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Luck View Post
I cheerfully agree.

But what about the wider systemic problem that so much of your classes are now essentially "taught" by tutors and TA's? Isn't that a larger issue? Shouldn't you raise that concern with the school itself as well?

Where I went to school, tutorials were unheard of. We had professors teaching us everything in classes of 30 or less, which is how I think it should be.

TA's get thrown into a discipline they're not familiar with it's kind of crazy sometimes.
So are you proposing that we get rid of all TAs and hire a lot of new professors? Because that would be fine with me, except that would also mean a lot of $$$ which I don't know if I would be able to afford.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:50 AM   #34
smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
"Maybe TAing is not the job for you if you do it only for the pay and compromising my education is not an issue to you, but is only a "necessary evil". Having someone's education in your hands requires much more dedication than that."

you shouldnt be a ta if you care about your pay, your biggest concern should be teaching me. you should be more dedicated to me than yourself.

sry I read this like that. I think I missed your point.

but what you are saying now makes sense
Yeah... I wasn't very clear.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:51 AM   #35
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
I paid for TAs tutoring me / conducting my labs in tuition, and I expect that service to happen.
But didn't you also pay to be taught by professors?

That was one of CUPE's major concerns: That TAs have been given too large a role in the instruction of students, and that they're overworked.

I'm not telling you whether or not they're correct in saying this, you've got to make that judgement call for yourself...but by this logic, shouldn't you be happy they're on strike? Now you have better educated people responsible for more of your education.

michelle likes this.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:57 AM   #36
Our Luck

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

That was one of CUPE's major concerns: That TAs have been given too large a role in the instruction of students, and that they're overworked.

I'm not telling you whether or not they're correct in saying this, you've got to make that judgement call for yourself...but by this logic, shouldn't you be happy they're on strike? Now you have better educated people responsible for more of your education.

Yeah that was my point too: TAs do far too much of the "grunt work" of instruction. The problem is that I think it is actually VIEWED as grunt work, which is a fairly good indicator of how the "system" feels vis a vis how we're being taught
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:58 AM   #37
smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

Yeah. If I were able to opt out of paying for the tutorials, I would do it. I do think that TAs play a very large role in labs - they do basically everything, and I appreciate them for that. But in tutorials... ehh. I don't know. I have 3 tutorials this term. I have chem, math, and psychobio. I only ask my chem questions to the prof, as the tutorial is still fairly large and you feel the same kind of "I'm holding up the class" as in a lecture. My math TA doesn't give us time / room to ask us questions (uh, I'll take questions later) and the odd time he does, he would respond with "uh... what d'you mean?" and then "I don't understand your question" until the student just gives up. I do admit that I really do like my psychobio TA. He is very helpful, but that may just be because of the much smaller class size (15).

I'm wondering also why CUPE wants less in the hands of the TAs then want to reduce tutorial sizes. Wouldn't that put more of the education in the hands of the TAs?
Old 11-02-2009 at 01:16 AM   #38
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
My math TA doesn't give us time / room to ask us questions (uh, I'll take questions later) and the odd time he does, he would respond with "uh... what d'you mean?" and then "I don't understand your question" until the student just gives up.

Just a quick point before going to bed: I'm sorry you feel dissatisfied with your Math TA. If you have any math questions (you're in first year right?), you can send me a PM and I can try to help. (I have a few regulars from these forums who do exactly that, haha).

I do think from my own personal experience, the majority of math TAs are fairly good...but I also know from my own tutorial, sometimes it's difficult in large classroom settings (my tutorial regularly has about 40-50 in attendance), Q & A sessions are difficult (which is why I book lots of time for office hours, which ironically, my students don't take advantage of, haha).
Old 11-02-2009 at 01:19 AM   #39
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

edit test test

Last edited by andrew22 : 11-02-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2009 at 07:22 AM   #40
Kathy2
Elite Member

If CUPE and (certain TAs) are only considering their jobs, then I have every right to only consider my education that I pay for.

Please don't single out indivdual users on this forum. Almost every poster is just as opinionated as Taunton, and we all pretty much know what's going on in this situation.

If you must, please enlighten us on what we have so seriously misunderstood about the strike.