MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Student card muns2 Academics 3 08-31-2010 07:38 PM
Student ID Card Hakurei First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-25-2010 03:21 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
When do we get our student id card? meerf First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 35 08-31-2007 11:28 AM

Student Card Never Recieved

Old 08-28-2010 at 11:33 PM   #1
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

Student Card Never Recieved
So, here's the deal. I was away all summer working, and I didn't have internet access there.

Because of this I gave important dates and deadlines and info and stuff to my parents to take care of when they were available. However, one thing that got left out was my new student form. So, coming back from my employment, I've found that I have no McMaster student ID or sticker, and I'm kinda freaking out.

Is the physical office of the registrar open currently? Would it be possible for me to head down to campus on Monday or Tuesday and go to their office and get this sorted out and get a Student ID/sticker? What would I need to bring with me?

Can someone help me out here, I'm kinda freaking out, I thought I had everything set, gah!
Old 08-28-2010 at 11:39 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashPlague View Post
So, here's the deal. I was away all summer working, and I didn't have internet access there.

Because of this I gave important dates and deadlines and info and stuff to my parents to take care of when they were available. However, one thing that got left out was my new student form. So, coming back from my employment, I've found that I have no McMaster student ID or sticker, and I'm kinda freaking out.

Is the physical office of the registrar open currently? Would it be possible for me to head down to campus on Monday or Tuesday and go to their office and get this sorted out and get a Student ID/sticker? What would I need to bring with me?

Can someone help me out here, I'm kinda freaking out, I thought I had everything set, gah!
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /contacts.html

Yes, they are open Monday-Friday. I don't know if they can print out a card on the spot though. You'll need to bring the New Student Form, you might want to also bring a passport-sized picture just in case they don't have the camera set-up either (Or you can call to ask if you can take your picture before going there; call on Monday if you plan on going on Tuesday for example).
Old 08-28-2010 at 11:44 PM   #3
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

MOHSIN!

Okay, take a deep breath.

You said the New Student form got left out? Meaning your parents didn't fill it in?

If that's the case, it's okay. Your student card is primarily used for stuff like inner-Hamilton transit, GO discounts, library use, and other student discount stuff. all things you can live without for the first week of school, or even a bit longer.

Call the Registrar and explain the situation to them. If you can, go in person and do it. Email works as well, but you have a greater chance of being ignored that way. Ideally in order to get the message across, do all three LOL

If you are going in person, bring with you a completely filled out New Student form. I guess the rest, they will tell you.

(or some wise, upper year mod on these forums will)
Old 08-28-2010 at 11:46 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
MOHSIN!

You said the New Student form got left out? Meaning your parents didn't fill it in?

If that's the case, it's okay. Your student card is primarily used for stuff like inner-Hamilton transit, GO discounts, library use, and other student discount stuff. all things you can live without for the first week of school, or even a bit longer.

Call the Registrar and explain the situation to them. If you can, go in person and do it. Email works as well, but you have a greater chance of being ignored that way. Ideally in order to get the message across, do all three LOL

If you are going in person, bring with you a completely filled out New Student form. I guess the rest, they will tell you.

You will also need your student card to get into residence (if you live in residence) when there is desk. I think it's from 8pm-3am or maybe 9pm-3am... Somewhere during that time frame.
Old 08-28-2010 at 11:55 PM   #5
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
MOHSIN!

Aylea!! GAH, you're here too!?! Well, not surprised. See you around campus, lol

Ok, I'll definately do that, but thanks, I guess that makes me feel better a little, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You will also need your student card to get into residence (if you live in residence) when there is desk. I think it's from 8pm-3am or maybe 9pm-3am... Somewhere during that time frame.
Yeah, I figured that. Hopefully I can get a card soon, otherwise I guess I'll have a curfew, haha.
Old 08-28-2010 at 11:58 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Aylea!! GAH, you're here too!?! Well, not surprised. See you around campus, lol

Ok, I'll definately do that, but thanks, I guess that makes me feel better a little, haha.

Yeah, I figured that. Hopefully I can get a card soon, otherwise I guess I'll have a curfew, haha.
You could always talk to your CA about your situation. You might have to get a temporary card, they have them during exam times... I think they also have them at the beginning of the year. I see some people with paper IDs when they buy their food because they don't have their student card yet. In any case, ask the registrar how long it'll take to get the card and if it takes longer when you have to move-in then ask if you can get a temporary card or something like that.
Old 08-29-2010 at 12:03 AM   #7
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Ok, sounds good

Thanks for all your helps!
Old 08-29-2010 at 07:21 AM   #8
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
I've left my student card in my dorm a few times, I've just shown photo ID and told them my room and ph one extension number and got in, not sure if that works all the time though.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 08-31-2010 at 12:26 PM   #9
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

I went to the office of the registrar today, and they said the my card should be ready for move-in day!!

They said I could pick it up in the commons building?

Anyways, since I'm moving in to residence, should I go pick up my card first? Do I need to show it to them to get into Res to move in and stuff?
Old 08-31-2010 at 12:56 PM   #10
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Quote:
I went to the office of the registrar today, and they said the my card should be ready for move-in day!!

Anyways, since I'm moving in to residence, should I go pick up my card first? Do I need to show it to them to get into Res to move in and stuff?
did you have to take the form with you?
Old 08-31-2010 at 01:00 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

Yes, you should pick up your ID Card first, you'll need it to get your keys.
Old 08-31-2010 at 03:55 PM   #12
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
did you have to take the form with you?
Yes, I did, although the lady on the phone said they had forms there as well. I think it went faster 'cause all I needed to do was take out my completed form and hand it to them.

I didn't bring a picture however, they took one for me.

Quote:
Yes, you should pick up your ID Card first, you'll need it to get your keys.
Ah, ok, thanks!
Old 08-31-2010 at 04:18 PM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I before E except after C.

There are obviously exceptions but trust me on this one.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-31-2010 at 05:49 PM   #14
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I before E except after C.

There are obviously exceptions but trust me on this one.
*sigh*, I feel quite silly now. I believe that was your intention? You have apparently succeeded.

Well played.