MacInsiders Logo

Student's Guide To Commuting

A STUDENT'S GUIDE TO COMMUTING

By RISHIMA TALWAR, MACINSIDERS

University is expensive. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. With tuition prices increasing yearly, and textbooks getting more and more costly, it is getting harder and harder to save money. So, deciding to live at home for the first year, instead of living on residence, is a financial choice many students have to make. Sure, by living at home, you may be sacrificing some of the college experience everyone raves about. But, at the end of the day, by living at home, you may still be able to afford those really cute fall boots.

If you decide to commute, I would like to cordially welcome you to the Commuters Club! Depending on where your home is, you may end up walking, biking, taking the bus or driving. You may also have to spend anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour travelling. Thus, travelling an x amount of time to get to school can take definitely take its toll on you. Here are a few tips to make commuting more bearable:

Listen to music: Nowadays, it seems like everyone has an iPod or a mp3 player. So why not put it to good use! You can take your iPod with you practically anywhere you go. Just grab your little device before getting into your car, jumping on your bike or walking to the bus. Listening to music is a simple and easy way to alleviate boredom and make time go by faster. A 20 minute bike ride can seem like 5 minutes when listening to music. Research has also shown that music can positively affect the brain and help ease stress. Music will make you forget all the problems and school work you have to deal with, and make you feel more relaxed. Add a scenic route to your commute, and you may end up feeling like you just spent a day at the spa!

Catch up on your reading: If you are commuting from Mississauga or Oakville, you will probably be on the road for a good 35-55 minutes, and you might as well make good use of all this time. Reading your textbook or getting caught up on your reading will be a great, efficient way to spend your commute. This one is a little bit harder if you are driving, but great for all other means of commuting. If you are driving, do not despair: if you want to get some reading done on your commute, but need your eyes to concentrate on where you are going, you can always listen to recorded books. These recorded books can range from fiction to nonfiction, and even college lectures! You can get these recorded books from most public libraries, so they won’t make a dent in your wallet.

Find a travelling partner: Pushing your way onto an overcrowded bus and spending hours stuck in traffic is bad enough on its own. So why not find someone else to complain with? A travelling partner will make commuting more enjoyable and will give you company throughout the ups and downs of commuting. If you are driving to McMaster, a travelling partner will also help you save gas money and be more environmentally friendly. If you drive to McMaster and do not know anyone who you can carpool with, you can always check out: www.smartcommute.ca by registering on the website, you can find other McMaster commuters, and hopefully begin carpooling! As Jack Johnston says “it’s always better when we’re together.”

As a commuter myself, I can guarantee that these tips will help making commuting more pleasant. One last advice that I would like to pass on is to always be safe! Regardless of the transportation method you are using, or the length of your commute, if you can, always carry a cell phone with you. In addition, use a route that you are familiar with. Avoid using a wooded, sheltered route at night and make sure someone knows where you are. If you ever feel uncomfortable walking to your car alone at night, or if you want some company while you wait for your bus, the McMaster SWHAT team will be happy to help you. The SWHAT team runs 7 days a week, and if needed, a male and female volunteer team will even walk you anywhere within a 30 minute radius from campus and take the bus with you if you are going to downtown Hamilton! You can check out more information on the SWHAT team and their services here: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services-...ant-team-swhat

Happy commuting!!

meddling, xo.monica all say thanks to rrtt for this post.

xo.monica likes this.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-04-2009 at 07:26 AM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 598 Times
I commuted from Mississauga in my first-year. It was rough :S.

I wouldn't want to do it again, but to each his own!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-04-2009 at 07:37 AM   #3
Fight0
Elite Member
Program: MD
Year: Other

Liked: 141 Times
People on buses always seem to have interesting stories to share! Most people tend to stick to themselves as they catch the bus but one time I talked to a nice old guy about how he took part in the Dieppe raid.

manaya, Taunton, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-04-2009 at 08:35 AM   #4
jachill
Vampire Slayer
Program: Environmental Science
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS! :D

Liked: 40 Times
Ahh, that crazy old guys on the bus...Usually if I listen to music they don't bother me but I've heard them talking to other people. This one guy talked the whole time to downtown how he has been in jail several times and just got out. >.>

Old 08-04-2009 at 11:56 AM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Liked: 529 Times
I met a few colourful characters on the bus over my few years...including a guy who collected pens (and I traded him one of my 'rare pens' for one that actually worked, haha), an HSR employee, a Mac Caretaker, and many more.

I'm personally too shy to just walk up and initiate a conversation, so it had to be these people who initiated. It happens, nice people will just come up to you, you just have to reciprocate. (:

As for the commute, I never really did any reading unless I had a test immediately following the ride. **It should be noted: Some people get motion sickness from reading on the bus** (so make a wise decision)

Myself, I just like having 1-1.5 hours alone with my thoughts in each direction. Quiet reflection FTW. (:
Old 08-04-2009 at 12:03 PM   #6
jachill
Vampire Slayer
Program: Environmental Science
Residence: SOCS! :D

Liked: 40 Times
lol I sometimes attempt studying if I'm on my way to an exam but ya the motion sickness gets me every time.
Old 08-04-2009 at 12:29 PM   #7
sinthusized
Elite Member
Program: Anthropology

Liked: 98 Times
I became amazingly well read throughout the year because of commuting.
Old 08-04-2009 at 01:09 PM   #8
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times
"If you are commuting from Mississauga or Oakville, you will probably be on the road for a good 35-55 minutes"

I would like to point out that I have been commuting from east end Hamilton for 3 years and it takes 55-90 minutes.

:(

My tip: if your MP3 player dies, keep wearing your headphones. Not having headphones is apparently a giant "STRANGERS, PLEASE TALK TO ME ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL LIFE" sign.
Old 08-04-2009 at 11:31 PM   #9
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times
@HeatherH:
LOL...people may also choose to not talk to you if you look like an intimidating person.

Isn't it sad that it takes people from Mississauga or Oakville less time to get to Mac than those who actually live in the city?

And I just have to say that while the iPod is a good idea for buses, it may not be so wise to have those earbuds in while you're riding a bike on busy roads lest you divert your attention away from the flow of traffic.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 08-05-2009 at 12:58 AM   #10
myster
Program: Chemical and Bioengineering

You forgot about catching up on sleep.

That's what I did when i commuted from Toronto. Slept less at home and just make up the difference on the commute.
Old 08-05-2009 at 09:56 AM   #11
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by myster View Post
You forgot about catching up on sleep.

That's what I did when i commuted from Toronto. Slept less at home and just make up the difference on the commute.
This is risky! I wouldn't trust anybody to wake me up once we got to school. I would miss the stop and keep sleeping.
Old 08-05-2009 at 10:53 AM   #12
Alex McColl
Program: Commerce
Residence: Hedden/Whidden CA/Les Prince IRC God Father/Keyes

Liked: 11 Times
"A 20 minute bike ride can seem like 5 minutes when listening to music. Research has also shown that music can positively affect the brain and help ease stress. Music will make you forget all the problems and school work you have to deal with, and make you feel more relaxed."

A few years ago a student was killed by a salt truck. She was J-walking while listening to an ipod and didn't hear the truck's horn. If you're going to listen to music while walking, don't forget to keep your eyes open. If you're going to listen to music while on your bike, keep your left ear free to hear traffic or keep the volume low. Stay Safe.

Cikka likes this.
Old 08-05-2009 at 11:33 AM   #13
Katia
Account Disabled by User
Program: Commerce
Year: Masters

Liked: 36 Times
Ahh I hate when people sit beside me on the go bus! I always keep my dog or my purse in the seat next to me.. unless its a cute guy
Old 08-05-2009 at 12:08 PM   #14
sinthusized
Elite Member
Program: Anthropology

Liked: 98 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Ahh I hate when people sit beside me on the go bus! I always keep my dog or my purse in the seat next to me.. unless its a cute guy
That's really annoying of you if it's a full bus. I hate when people take up seats for their bags on a crowded bus. One time, I actually witnessed a girl say no to a guy when he asked if he could sit down cause the bus was full . If I was him, I'd sit on those bags

Old 08-05-2009 at 12:10 PM   #15
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
ahh yes, the friendliness of today's society.

Article Tools