Old 08-25-2009 at 12:18 PM   #30
Fa11enAnge1
Program: Health Sciences
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I commuted from Mississauga in my first-year. It was rough :S.

I wouldn't want to do it again, but to each his own!
I am commuting from Mississauga as well. Is it really that rough? Does it make it that much harder to get a good GPA? =S
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:26 PM   #31
Saleha
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 17 Times
the traffic to missisauga is probably the heaviest, but its not that bad if you can get used to the line ups. i used the GO my first year and actually really liked it, but then again i only live in Burlington which was about a 15 min ride on average...
as for affecting your GPA, i don't think you can say that commuting makes a difference, whether good or bad. just as living in Res doesn't- you have the good and bad for everything... while ur living in res you have to scrounge for food and do ur own groceries etc. plus you might have more distractions... but then again you have the great experiences you'll never forget and help from ur res mates...
but with living at home u don't have to deal with the same stresses, but ofcourse there are cons, like the commuting possibly, or making that bit of extra effort to enjoy university life while you're there...

its all up to you and what you make out of your year... getting a good GPA means prioritizing and time management, which is something u need whether or not ur commuting...

Last edited by Saleha : 08-25-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Fa11enAnge1 says thanks to Saleha for this post.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:36 PM   #32
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa11enAnge1 View Post
I am commuting from Mississauga as well. Is it really that rough? Does it make it that much harder to get a good GPA? =S
I didn't like it... the hardest part was spending 16+ straight hours (some days) on campus and then having to travel home and then spend more time doing homework.

I also was heavily involved outside of class though, so that added to my stress.

Fa11enAnge1 says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:37 PM   #33
Harlequin
Program: BioPsych

Liked: 35 Times
Quote:
I commuted from Mississauga last year and I know lots of people who did the same. I doubt it affects your GPA. It can seem like a lot of work for the first couple of weeks or so but you'll get used to it. It isn't that bad.

Fa11enAnge1 says thanks to Harlequin for this post.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:48 PM   #34
viv_ntiri
Program: Honours Earth and Environmental Science
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Ahh I hate when people sit beside me on the go bus! I always keep my dog or my purse in the seat next to me.. unless its a cute guy
Umm ever heard of karma? Whatever goes around will eventually come around...keep that in mind next time you're on the GO.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:55 PM   #35
Fa11enAnge1

Thank You!!! You guys rock =)
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:58 PM   #36
Fa11enAnge1

Ohh, and (Taunton I want to involed in the FYC, I was wondering, if the application has come out yet. Because on Welcome Day they said an application would be emailed.

(Saleha You are in health sci =), how is it first year. I am taking Econ and physics and math 1ls3 as my electives. Will the group work component be very negatively affected by commuting?
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:02 PM   #37
Saleha

i took econ, math1ls3 too! the group work was definitely not affected. i was the only person in my group who had to commute, but problems come from all directions when you're trying to find a time when all 5 members can meet for more than one hour... meetings may run kinda late sometimes, but i easily took the last bus which is at 10:50 or something and was fine... if they did keep going after (which only happened once btw) i was able to continue at home and stay connected with learnlink. don't worry about the meetings at all, commuting is not even a factor!
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:03 PM   #38
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Ohh, and (Taunton I want to involed in the FYC, I was wondering, if the application has come out yet. Because on Welcome Day they said an application would be emailed.

(Saleha You are in health sci =), how is it first year. I am taking Econ and physics and math 1ls3 as my electives. Will the group work component be very negatively affected by commuting?
Getting involved in the FYC is a great idea! I'm pretty sure all of the positions are filled democratically, so that would mean that you'll probably need to get a nomination form and get fellow first years to sign it, and then run in an election.

There's no news about nomination forms on the MSU website right now, but I can contact someone for you and post an answer.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for information as soon as you come to campus for the first time during welcome week, and it would be a great idea to visit the MSU office on the second floor of the MUSC.
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:12 PM   #39
Fa11enAnge1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleha View Post
i took econ, math1ls3 too! the group work was definitely not affected. i was the only person in my group who had to commute, but problems come from all directions when you're trying to find a time when all 5 members can meet for more than one hour... meetings may run kinda late sometimes, but i easily took the last bus which is at 10:50 or something and was fine... if they did keep going after (which only happened once btw) i was able to continue at home and stay connected with learnlink. don't worry about the meetings at all, commuting is not even a factor!
AWESOME!!! So I can ask you for help =) What other elective did you take? And did u take any summer school? Because for med school...(outside of Ontario) some need math 1aa3, 1 year of english and 1 course in psych and stuff =S And does taking Hth Sci 2ao3 remove the need to take Math 1bo3 (the stat class)

Thanks a bunch =)
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:14 PM   #40
Fa11enAnge1

Quote:
Getting involved in the FYC is a great idea! I'm pretty sure all of the positions are filled democratically, so that would mean that you'll probably need to get a nomination form and get fellow first years to sign it, and then run in an election.

There's no news about nomination forms on the MSU website right now, but I can contact someone for you and post an answer.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for information as soon as you come to campus for the first time during welcome week, and it would be a great idea to visit the MSU office on the second floor of the MUSC.
Honestly, I am kinda scared running for an election. I was very involved in high school, and I think it has a very positive affect - so thats why I was looking at ways to get involved. Do we have to do a speech? (xD...srry i get nervous)

And please let me know if you hear any news my email is [email protected] m
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:14 PM   #41
Fa11enAnge1

Quote:

Honestly, I am kinda scared running for an election. I was very involved in high school, and I think it has a very positive affect - so thats why I was looking at ways to get involved. Do we have to do a speech? (xD...srry i get nervous)

Any other ways to get involved?

Thank You so much =)
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:33 PM   #42
Saleha

Quote:
AWESOME!!! So I can ask you for help =) What other elective did you take? And did u take any summer school? Because for med school...(outside of Ontario) some need math 1aa3, 1 year of english and 1 course in psych and stuff =S And does taking Hth Sci 2ao3 remove the need to take Math 1bo3 (the stat class)

Thanks a bunch =)
yes, definitely! you can PM me if you'd like... I took Comparative Lit. 1AA3 (kinda bad idea cuz i'm bad at essays... ) and i just took orgo I in summer school to get it out of the way. a LOT of health scis took it in the summer, lol.
don't worry abt the med school requirements yet - this is something u'll hear over and over in first yr... u can take those in 2nd and 3rd yr and in the summers in between... especially maths and english...
and yes, the hth sci stats course is enough for the Stats requirement of prof schools... u don't need to take math 1b03...

right now u should focus on getting excited for the awesome WW that is planned for u! it will be a guaranteed blast!

Old 08-25-2009 at 01:37 PM   #43
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:

Any other ways to get involved?

Thank You so much =)
Haha, no you wouldn't have to do a speech per se, but you might consider speaking in the front of your lectures for a minute or two with the permission of your professor.

Elections aren't all that bad really, I've been in quite a few election in my time here... the most challenging was the SRA election. With some hard work and dedication however, you can pull through. It's my understanding that FYC elections aren't super competitive, however that could change. Every year is different.

There's lots of ways of getting involved... it depends on what you want to do, but you can do pretty much anything.

If student politics is your thing, then FYC is a great start to getting into the MSU. You can also get involved with your faculty society. That's always a lot of fun (I was exec for the McMaster Science Society for three years).

Make sure you attend clubsfest during welcome week to get an idea as to what all is out there for you to do.

I'll email you the response I get from the Chief Returning Officer regarding FYC elections.

Fa11enAnge1 says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:38 PM   #44
Saleha

PS good idea to post any questions abt health sci here instead:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2143 1

Article Tools