MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Parents for OSAP Release? logans First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-23-2010 10:49 PM
Help with SOLAR and ELECTIVES! PLS PLS PLS HELP! parents are killing me! jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-04-2010 11:34 PM
Message to Brandon Hall Parents lorend Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 0 10-19-2008 09:23 AM
IRIS: A Drama Production by Students for Students lorend First Year Success 0 06-06-2008 02:57 PM
An Article for the Parents lorend Misc 0 05-05-2008 08:46 PM

Students Smrtr than Parents?

Old 07-22-2011 at 12:43 PM   #1
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Students Smrtr than Parents?
Came across this today. Am I the only one who finds this deeply disturbing and part of the reason our educational system is inconsistent and fractured?3

http://www.mississauga.com/community...make-the-grade

No student should be scoring above 95% overall in high school unless they're legitimate geniuses. Not voracious bookworms with a photographic memory. Zero students should get 100% in high school. Zero. I don't care if your God. You can't write multiple PERFECT essays in English class.

-Ish-, gguarna, lt93, particle like this.
Old 07-22-2011 at 12:48 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I've seen that IB stuff... If he did an IB class, there's no way he should have 100. If he did IB, then went back and did the regular high school material, I could definitely see getting 100.

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 07-22-2011 at 12:51 PM   #3
Willmountain
Master and Commander

It's still a joke. Nobody should have three digits on their report card before the decimal place.
Old 07-22-2011 at 12:55 PM   #4
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Schools mark too easily, and promote the idea that memorization = useful learning. You can memorize an encyclopedia if you want, but if you can't analyze problems and come up with real-world solutions or innovations, how useful is your 99% grade?

Obligatory health-sci jab (I actually have nothing against them):

"Claudia Frankfurter, a Mississauga resident, scored 99.17 per cent at Holy Name of Mary Catholic Secondary School in Brampton. She plans to start McMaster University's Health Sciences program this September."

Figures, LOL

Old 07-22-2011 at 12:58 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I've seen that IB stuff... If he did an IB class, there's no way he should have 100. If he did IB, then went back and did the regular high school material, I could definitely see getting 100.
I did IB and I scored over 95% overall...a few of my friends did as well

And English is subjective, maybe the teacher thought those particular essays could not have been written any better.

To the OP, I don't see why it's such a shock for some students to score over 95% when it's based on the top 6 marks. Courses like math, chemistry and bio aren't impossible to get over 95% in

Last edited by MichaelScarn : 07-22-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Eternal Fire, IqzFendi like this.
Old 07-22-2011 at 01:01 PM   #6
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

who cares it's high school who the hell actually cares about high school grades
Old 07-22-2011 at 01:01 PM   #7
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Every year the make a lot of courses easier, especially math. I was looking at my sister's math books, she just finished 12. And they have taken out a LOT of the hard stuff that i had to learn when i was in Grade 11 and 12.
Old 07-22-2011 at 01:24 PM   #8
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Student: "mom, I'm having a hard time in math and I can't figure this out"

Mom: "Well that's ridiculous. No child of mine will struggle. Off to the school I go to complain."

80% achieved.

Old 07-22-2011 at 01:41 PM   #9
lt93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Every year the make a lot of courses easier, especially math. I was looking at my sister's math books, she just finished 12. And they have taken out a LOT of the hard stuff that i had to learn when i was in Grade 11 and 12.
Yeah you're right I remember in my gr. 12 calculus class my teacher would always be like "i used to teach this but the curriculum changed, next chapter" I think they used to teach Integrals in high school but they don't anymore.

I understand where the OP is coming from but the thing that bothers me is there's people who got in to university after like a victory lap, doing minimal work and then they get into like Social Sci or Humanities with a 70 something and then do NO work at school and it just bothers me because they are wasting their parents' money. If the smart hard working students' marks are inflated then the it will be the same for the not so smart students'. I'm not trying to be mean but I just know countless people from high school and stuff that are in university and it's not the right choice for them!

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 07-22-2011 at 01:46 PM   #10
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

lol i know claudia. I feel like finding out who her english and math teacher was. while she had great marks..(she a total bookworm). i know my school has gone through changes. no way she could get such good marks if she had my math and english teacher. with an 85 i had one of the highest marks in the class.
Old 07-22-2011 at 01:54 PM   #11
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

I really do believe that High School is a joke, but 100's really should only be obtainable in courses where there is 1 correct answer (like math, possibly some science courses). To say that someone has written the perfect essay is just a lite...that's really all there is to it. I feel that they should be speaking with the teachers that are giving out these 100s in courses. It seems to me that these kids who are getting these 'exemplary' marks are just grubbing for every last mark they can get from their teachers (and believe me when i tell you, there are teachers out there who will bump HS marks up to 5 percent, maybe more, if you ask/plead your case).
Old 07-22-2011 at 01:55 PM   #12
MCMashetty

Liked: 15 Times

This is actually not that surprising. I remember that in my grade 12 year, one of the teachers (English teacher, go figure) gave out inflated marks, supposedly to help out students get into the university of their choice. I dunno if it was common practice at other schools, but i can certainly see teachers being more lenient in the final year, if only to help reduce the number students returning to retake grade 12. Not strictly fair, i know, but hey, that's how the cookie crumbles.

Btw, I found it ironic that you wrote kids were"smrtr"than their parents, in the topic title. At that point, everything else just felt delegitimized.
Old 07-22-2011 at 02:14 PM   #13
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Lol it must be brutal to be friends with those people...like that dude going into eng at mac, his friends next year are gonna be struggling for 60s while he's getting 95+ in most subjects.

Also I think a lot of you are underestimating high school marks, unless you guys come from a school that has no legitimacy or something. My high school marks were like +/- 2% of most of my university marks. Just because "it's only high school" doesn't mean people who get 99% or higher are suddenly going to drop 25%.

Old 07-22-2011 at 02:19 PM   #14
Willmountain
Master and Commander

hahahaha I was making a witty joke.

The problem is that this happens in the first place. Parents think they want what's best for their kid, so the try to do the teacher's job and essentially hogtying the teacher to give the student high marks. Other students see this happen, and they tell mommy and daddy and it becomes an epidemic.

If some kind of severe penalty is established for padding marks just to get kids into university were imposed, it would suck for those who get padded, and the parents might not like it, but come on. Kids have to be taught lessons, no matter how tough. I had a rough 12th grade academically and I was struggling. My parents refused to talk to my teachers for me, and I had to figure it out. If I didn't get into the uni I wanted, it was my own fault.

It was the best thing they ever did for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Lol it must be brutal to be friends with those people...like that dude going into eng at mac, his friends next year are gonna be struggling for 60s while he's getting 95+ in most subjects.

Also I think a lot of you are underestimating high school marks, unless you guys come from a school that has no legitimacy or something. My high school marks were like +/- 2% of most of my university marks. Just because "it's only high school" doesn't mean people who get 99% or higher are suddenly going to drop 25%.
On the last part. My high school was considered "university prep" which, looking back, was used really loosely. The highest grade in my graduating class (for someone not taking econ, accounting, creative writing etc.) was a 92. Probably one of the smartest kids I know in all aspects. He's a straight up genius.

Wayyyy too many kids fell into the mish mash of between 80-85 though. I pulled myself out of the toilet and managed an 87, but there were almost no kids who managed to not get an 80. They were mostly the ones who just didn't come to school, yet they still managed a 75 and university.

One last thing about this. My buddy who will remain unnamed is probably the most brilliant writer and, I suppose, thinker that I know. The problem is that he has a HORRIBLE work ethic. English teachers (i.e. not math/science) in high school loved him to pieces, so when he would never hand in assignments until a month after they were due, or when he would improvise his evidence in debates with no background research they just shrugged it off and took the assignments with no penalty. It got to the point where he handed in ZERO assignments for Grade 12 Writers Craft and the teacher just shrugged it off and just gave him a 95 in the class because whatever he DID write was worthy of my schools creative writing award.

Off he goes to King's with this attitude and by Christmas, he's on academic probation, by the end of second year he was kicked out of school, got a job at a paint factory, got laid off, and now is working for the discovery channel as an artist by a stroke of dumb luck.

Point is, teachers, parents and students are all a part of a HUGE problem where education is treated like a joke in some respects. Just go to Norway or Iceland or Germany and you see what school can really do for you. It blew my mind when I went over there.

Last edited by jhan523 : 07-22-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2011 at 02:40 PM   #15
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
100% in the IB program:
http://www.bramptonguardian. com/co...ake-no-mistake

I agree with you though, it shouldn't be possible to get 100% in English.