MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to study for microecon cjdzl Academics 7 09-22-2010 12:16 AM
Library to sit and study Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-11-2010 06:44 PM
G1: How & where to study it from? huzaifa47 General Discussion 12 06-17-2009 12:13 AM
How to study? MacEng Academics 6 09-14-2008 01:04 PM

Study Permits at border

Old 07-06-2009 at 03:10 PM   #1
Blues

Liked: 1 Time

Study Permits at border
Along with the neato higher tuition fees, coming from outside to study at Mac requires a lot of paperwork just to be there.

Given that the study permit process takes almost a month, I'm looking into it now. I waited until now only because I needed to prove that I have the funds to attend Mac, and I'm in the process of getting the student loan.

Aside from all that, I was told that I could actually request the study permit as I am crossing the border when I arrive in Canada as long as I have all the required documents, and that if I do it then it's very fast.

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who's gone through this whole process who can give advice, share their story or perhaps confirm that I can actually get the permit at the border.

I can't wait to make a list of all my electronic devices just so that I can bring them over. -_-
Old 07-06-2009 at 03:17 PM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues View Post
Along with the neato higher tuition fees, coming from outside to study at Mac requires a lot of paperwork just to be there.

Given that the study permit process takes almost a month, I'm looking into it now. I waited until now only because I needed to prove that I have the funds to attend Mac, and I'm in the process of getting the student loan.

Aside from all that, I was told that I could actually request the study permit as I am crossing the border when I arrive in Canada as long as I have all the required documents, and that if I do it then it's very fast.

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who's gone through this whole process who can give advice, share their story or perhaps confirm that I can actually get the permit at the border.

I can't wait to make a list of all my electronic devices just so that I can bring them over. -_-
iiii don't think that's possible. I remember my study permit required a comprehensive medical which took quite some time(It was sent to a lab abroad I think) and I don't think they will let you forgoe that if you show up on the border!

You actually need a first permit from the embassy and the immigration office at the Airport issues you another final permit!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-06-2009 at 03:17 PM   #3
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

well i will be coming from india and here iapplied for the visa and they are now going to just give me a letter which i will have to show at the canadian airport and i will be given my study permit then...
Old 07-06-2009 at 03:32 PM   #4
Blues

The thing is that since I'm coming from the US I was told that a lot procedures don't apply, I don't even need a visa to enter the country.

I tried asking at the International Student Office and the lady seemed confident that I was coming from the US that it would not be a problem to get the permit at the border.

That's sort of why I have doubts.
Old 07-06-2009 at 03:36 PM   #5
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

yeah if u are coming from US then same rules don't apply!! u shud get it pretty easily...but i guess someone has to confirm it...
Old 07-06-2009 at 03:37 PM   #6
huzaifa47

Quote:
The thing is that since I'm coming from the US I was told that a lot procedures don't apply, I don't even need a visa to enter the country.

I tried asking at the International Student Office and the lady seemed confident that I was coming from the US that it would not be a problem to get the permit at the border.

That's sort of why I have doubts.
Random Question, are you mexican?

Old 07-06-2009 at 03:46 PM   #7
Blues

Nope. I was born in Puerto Rico, so I'm American but I don't live on an actual state.
Old 07-06-2009 at 03:48 PM   #8
huzaifa47

Quote:
Nope. I was born in Puerto Rico, so I'm American but I don't live on an actual state.
Oh okay! I've never met any actual Latin people in Canada before even though they are all over the western popular culture. We do have a quite a few Puerto Ricans here though!

Old 07-06-2009 at 04:53 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Oh okay! I've never met any actual Latin people in Canada before even though they are all over the western popular culture. We do have a quite a few Puerto Ricans here though!
Really.. that's so cool.. we had a lot of cubans at school.. but that's about as close as it got to Latins