MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Study Drugs? Greco General Discussion 26 09-19-2010 08:00 PM
MI Study Session Marlowe Academics 165 04-26-2010 07:36 PM
G1: How & where to study it from? huzaifa47 General Discussion 12 06-17-2009 12:13 AM
Study In Australia Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-23-2009 04:55 PM
How to study? MacEng Academics 6 09-14-2008 01:04 PM

How to study properly!

Old 12-25-2010 at 04:28 PM   #31
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
ahaha meee too. It's also why I end up talking to myself during tests though
OMG same! And people like around at me like I'm crazy, especially in IWC -______-, but I do it subconciously and don't even realize it most of the time, so whatever

I was looking through my bookmarks for all the sites I saved for reference. Here are some of them:
http://www.athabascau.ca/counselling/study_skills.php (I love this one, it guides you through the entire process, acessing yout learning style, improving your skills, time management, test-taking skills etc.)
http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infocs/study/index.html
http://www.coun.uvic.ca/learning/study-skills/

mcmastergcdb says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

mcmastergcdb likes this.
Old 12-25-2010 at 04:37 PM   #32
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

I forgot to mention, the techniques I talked about are more useful for non-memorization courses. They don't really work for every type of course. For a memorization course, mnemonic techniques are more useful. Here's a link on it: http://www.buildyourmemory.c om/ ...I think everyone has a basic knowledge of mnemonics, but it helps to practice more advanced methods. Some of the math methods seem interesting, but pretty much useless to me.

mcmastergcdb says thanks to EmilySusie for this post.

mcmastergcdb likes this.
Old 12-25-2010 at 04:42 PM   #33
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

My method of studying: Upside down, with the book right-side up, pencils in my nose, whipped cream on my nipples, and a different kind of underwear depending on the day. But as lawley said a while ago: Not all methods work for everyone.

justinsftw says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 12-25-2010 at 04:48 PM   #34
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
...and pre-reading the next week or day's material, it'll sink in better...
The hardest to do but the one method that pays off quickly. I found that if you try to understand at least half of the next day's material, at classtime you'll be able to copy the notes and learn/study at the same time.

mcmastergcdb says thanks to _Luu_ for this post.
Old 12-25-2010 at 05:02 PM   #35
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Also...I was contemplating, I have also noticed that when Im writing a test, I usually get too excited when I get the answers that I start day dreaming literally like Imma get 12s this year and it's gonna be so cool. It always side tracks me from the tests as I can't properly concentrate lolz. I was wondering what can be done about this thing?
Old 12-25-2010 at 05:12 PM   #36
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Also...I was contemplating, I have also noticed that when Im writing a test, I usually get too excited when I get the answers that I start day dreaming literally like Imma get 12s this year and it's gonna be so cool. It always side tracks me from the tests as I can't properly concentrate lolz. I was wondering what can be done about this thing?
I have this problem too sometimes, where I'm thinking so fast I can barely write it all down and I get overwhelmed and start pausing. It helps me to ask for a scrap paper(they provide them in exams) or just designate a part of my test for rough notes, like if i'm handed a booklet to write in i'll write my answer in the first part of the book, and use the last 1 or two pages for notes.. I just put *rough notes* at the top of the page so they know not to mark it. You might want to ask first for scrap or if you're allowed to make rough notes in your sheets. It really helps me to outline my answers and jot down things.
Old 12-25-2010 at 05:39 PM   #37
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

This is my study method. I guess its for people who have a really shitty memory like me. But it's been working really well for me so:

I started studying 2-3 days before the midterm/exam. Why? Shitty memory.
I do all my readings and make notes (if I read the chapter before, I just go over the confusing parts).
Then I do as much practice problems as I possible can. I usually spend a whole day on this. Then I read the notes I wrote from the book and the lectures. And finally, I redo some questions I had difficulty or if I know it'll be on the midterm/exam.

And get lots of sleep before the exam.
Old 12-25-2010 at 06:08 PM   #38
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Sounds like you have bad concentration issues, like myself. I'm not exactly sure if it's placebo or not, but there are studies that show that L-theanine has synergistic effects with caffeine in helping with anxiety, concentration, etc. Thus, before tests and exams now I take about 200mg of caffeine and L-theanine in capsule form. And whatever, even one night I didn't sleep and I could concentrate fairly well on the Econ exam.

I had terrible problems with Econ 1BB3 not because it was hard (it was really easy) but because I couldn't concentrate on the boring BORING textbook. I read a line and forgot what I read because I was zoning out. Biology and Comp Sci were fairly interesting so it wasn't as hard to sit down and read. Thankfully I am blessed with a good memory though when I'm 'in the zone'.

I noticed a massive improvement throughout the semester, more noticeably in the end before exams. Each professor has a noticeable pattern with tests/quizzes/exams, etc. Some ask stuff from slides, some ask random facts (lectures), some ask minute details from textbook. Good luck
Old 12-25-2010 at 06:36 PM   #39
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

small study groups work depending on the people. working at quiet areas is key. also u have to know where to find answers
Old 12-25-2010 at 06:49 PM   #40
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

memorization seems to be best for me
i noticed i have a pretty good short term memory
so when it comes to an exam, i will review all the terms per chapter
and as i go along, i'll make sure im able to recite everything i just read and eventually, ill put what the chapter covered in my own words

after i review all those chapters, i pay more attention to anything the prof said to take note of

mcmastergcdb says thanks to AlexBatt for this post.
Old 12-25-2010 at 06:52 PM   #41
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilySusie View Post
I forgot to mention, the techniques I talked about are more useful for non-memorization courses. They don't really work for every type of course. For a memorization course, mnemonic techniques are more useful. Here's a link on it: http://www.buildyourmemory.c om/ ...I think everyone has a basic knowledge of mnemonics, but it helps to practice more advanced methods. Some of the math methods seem interesting, but pretty much useless to me.
one of my tricks for connecting theorists to theories is picking out parts of their names that can remind me of the theory
Old 12-25-2010 at 09:01 PM   #42
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Read around the bold words.

mcmastergcdb says thanks to Desda for this post.
Old 12-26-2010 at 12:32 AM   #43
Furgazi

Liked: 22 Times

So far what works for me is this:
If there are any textbook readings, read them first. Thorough reading isn't usually needed
Read and highlight lecture notes
Re-write lecture notes, highlight them.
Type up highlighted notes and separate it into terms, concepts, mathematical problems, random points
Highlight those
Read over until you know everything off by heart

mcmastergcdb says thanks to Furgazi for this post.
Old 12-26-2010 at 01:25 AM   #44
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWave View Post
Review your notes right after class.
Make a summary of the lecture so when midterm/exam time comes, you have a neat copy of your notes and you don’t have to decipher your writing from weeks ago.
Use your time wisely. Spend more time on the lecture notes than the textbook.
When you’re reading the lecture slides, don’t read them passively.
Make questions on cue cards from the slides.
That way when studying for tests, you can efficiently test yourself by asking yourself the cue card questions.
Make tree diagrams to see how all the concepts connect with each other.
Even if you don’t have any questions, go to office hours so you can at least listen in on other people’s questions.
Get into study groups and test each other on a regular basis.

Isn't this from Dr. Dej? Or was it Dr. Kijirua?
Old 12-26-2010 at 06:42 AM   #45
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Howz McClelland for Bio2A03? ALso thanks guys, Imma try a mixture of suggestions and see what works best!