MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm looking for any apartment style res? mimi8330 Residence & Housing 10 06-01-2011 12:23 AM
chatroulette, mac style? sayok8737 Computers & Tech 4 08-24-2010 10:07 PM
Beta: Header Style Toggle Chad MacInsiders Announcements 42 04-25-2010 06:42 AM
apartment style vs. suite style nick Residence & Housing 4 03-24-2010 12:09 PM
Home-style Fried Rice lilchoconut Recipes 2 06-18-2009 09:19 PM

Style of Residence

Old 06-01-2011 at 03:47 PM   #1
princesskv30

Liked: 0 Times

Style of Residence
I'm planning on living on residence but I still have some doubts which is why I haven't filled out the form yet and I have like a day to do it. This is probably a stupid question but is it easier to make friends if you live on campus? I need to know because I'm shy and I don't make friends easily. What style of residence is better? I'm scared that I'll get a roomate that I don't get along with. When you apply for residence is it first come first serve?
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:49 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

A lot of people say that if you live on campus compared to off campus or commuting you make your 'social network' of friends at McMaster really quickly.
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:55 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskv30 View Post
I'm planning on living on residence but I still have some doubts which is why I haven't filled out the form yet and I have like a day to do it. This is probably a stupid question but is it easier to make friends if you live on campus? I need to know because I'm shy and I don't make friends easily. What style of residence is better? I'm scared that I'll get a roomate that I don't get along with. When you apply for residence is it first come first serve?
Easier yes, it takes less effort. But that doesn't mean you can't make friends if you live off campus or at home. There are tons of clubs and intramural sports, and don't forget classes (although I don't like talking to people during class time but labs and tutorials are easier settings to make friends).

If you are shy, then living on residence is probably best. I'm also pretty shy and I don't think I would have made as many friends if I lived off campus/at home. It's just that much harder to get involved in extra-curriculars if you are shy.

Sometimes you might not get along with your roommate(s) but both of you should learn how to get along. Respect is a pretty big factor in getting along. Style of residence depends on you. Suite and Apartment can seem lonely at times, even singles if they have their own washrooms. You can find yourself locked away in your room most of the time.

It's lottery based, but the waiting list is on a first come first serve basis. The fact that you are applying so late will probably mean you will be put on the waiting list... which is probably really long and you most likely won't get residence (Hence my advice on how to make friends from off-campus/at home above).
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:59 PM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^As long as the TC has a 79% average or more then he is guaranteed residence as long as he puts in the deposit by 4 pm EST tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:59 PM   #5
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

I couldn't make a group of friends with the people living in the residence I stayed at, Bates to be precise. I got along with my roommates but we never hanged out. Just had dinner one day very early in the year. We did talk here and there about our courses, but that was it.

The people I became functional with were actually primarily due to a cultural club I joined.

I think it comes down to you, the person trying to make friends. You're going to have to make an effort to introduce yourself and get to know other people.

I suggest a double room or triple room and that makes it easier to get to know your roommates. And maybe they can introduce you to their friends, and TA DA, a group of friends. I lived in Bates and it was easy to isolate myself in my own room to study and what not. If you're worried about not getting along, there are CAs (community advisors) in residence. They manage these things and try to sort out a solution. In extreme cases one of you might be moved to get their own room.

Applying to residence is not first come first serve. It's based on a lottery.
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:59 PM   #6
princesskv30

Liked: 0 Times

I'm guaranteed a spot in residence, does that still mean I'll be put on the waiting list?
Old 06-01-2011 at 04:00 PM   #7
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskv30 View Post
I'm guaranteed a spot in residence, does that still mean I'll be put on the waiting list?
Nope. If you've paid your deposit on time and were given guaranteed, it's going to stay that way. I believe you're filling out preferences right now.
Old 06-01-2011 at 04:03 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
^As long as the TC has a 79% average or more then he is guaranteed residence as long as he puts in the deposit by 4 pm EST tomorrow.
Been a while, totally forgot that application deadline was the same as guaranteed residence application deadline. For some reason I thought it was different :\
Old 06-01-2011 at 04:06 PM   #9
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

Residence is a great way to make friends. It's a new experience for almost everyone, so a lot of people will be shy as well. Don't be scared but instead just go out and make friends! It's actually a lot easier than you think. For me personally, I found that people at uni are generally much nicer than people in high school