Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Optional Books for good sucess luxhydrus Academics 8 08-31-2010 07:01 PM
Suggest a second elective. BVictor Academics 5 07-18-2010 11:46 AM

Suggest Good Books

Old 12-08-2009 at 11:53 PM   #46
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

wow, I got to start reading again... but university won't let me.

Maegs, salimak like this.
Old 12-09-2009 at 12:38 AM   #47
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

I think Macinsiders book club would be so awesomeee!
Its always nice to get input about other peoples opinion, esp when they're from diff faculties.
For sure next semester. We should start a FB group to see who's interested and pick a book!
Old 12-09-2009 at 01:54 AM   #48
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey

I never finished Million Little Pieces cause it sucked but his second book this one is Awesome!

Martian Chronicles Ray Bradbury fantastic book

The Road by Cormac McCarthy effin great book read it in two sittings it was that good and SCAREY as all get out!

Whenever I have nothing to read I always reread Old Man and the Sea you dont win a nobel prize for nothing!
Old 12-09-2009 at 12:20 PM   #49
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
wow, I got to start reading again... but university won't let me.
it's not university that's not letting you read a book. you can easily find time to read a book, you just have to put your time to good use. you can read while you're waiting, to start. you can read while you have your lunch. to take a break from school work. before you go to sleep. or instead of other activities that you might do to pass time. there's definitely time to read a novel while studying for your classes.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

manaya likes this.
Old 12-09-2009 at 01:07 PM   #50
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

I agree with above comment,

Am reading 'Between the Assasinations' right now even though its exam time ! =P

I read it on the bus (i commute from mississauga) and before going to sleep ! =)

When reading is a passion ... time comes automatically !

Old 12-09-2009 at 01:27 PM   #51
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
Really? I love reading, and I just could not get into this book. Maybe something a little less depressing for the holiday season. Here is a summary of that book "The road was grey, and it was dark, and they walked on the road."

No offence to people who like that book but thats my opinion, I guess it depends on what style books you like.

Lol, I'll admit that it's not the most happy-go-lucky book I've ever read......but I couldn't put it down! It's just so......intense...... .

Oh, and along with the suggestions to read Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow is also a great book worth reading.
Old 12-09-2009 at 01:37 PM   #52
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series - Douglas Adams
-- Very easy to digest, and you'll be laughing constantly

This break, I'm trying to go read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams as well as Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.

BlakeM likes this.
Old 12-09-2009 at 02:08 PM   #53
manaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post

Yep tat one was pretty good. The ending was bizarre and completely unexpected ! =P

Much like the whole book i guess

Old 12-09-2009 at 02:12 PM   #54
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaya View Post
Yep tat one was pretty good. The ending was bizarre and completely unexpected ! =P

Much like the whole book i guess
But it was comically ironic, if I recall.
Old 12-09-2009 at 02:15 PM   #55
manaya

The mice, the restaurant at the end of the universe ... lol

Brilliant ! Just brilliant !

Old 12-09-2009 at 06:19 PM   #56
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
it's not university that's not letting you read a book. you can easily find time to read a book, you just have to put your time to good use. you can read while you're waiting, to start. you can read while you have your lunch. to take a break from school work. before you go to sleep. or instead of other activities that you might do to pass time. there's definitely time to read a novel while studying for your classes.
I'd have to disagree. I absolutely love reading, but I can't find time during the university school year. I would never have enough time to actually get into a book while waiting for class to start, at most you're waiting 10 minutes. And most of the time I'm waiting a lot less than that. I don't commute so I don't have that stretch of time, and I can't read on the HSR or I'll miss my stop. I spend a lot of time doing extracurriculars and on my school work, which also eats into potential reading time. I could cut back on my social life to read more, but that seems a bit... well, lets say me in elementary school

I think I finished 3 books during school last year that weren't for a class (excluding breaks and stuff). Which isn't really a good amount of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post

This break, I'm trying to go read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams as well as Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.
Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, is this by the guy that did P+P+Z? If so, that just jumped to the top of my reading list.
Old 12-09-2009 at 07:37 PM   #57
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, is this by the guy that did P+P+Z? If so, that just jumped to the top of my reading list.
Not the same guy, but the same "Quirk Books" publisher. It's in the same style; I've skimmed through the hilarity (but haven't had a chance to read it).

How was P&P&Z?
Old 12-09-2009 at 07:44 PM   #58
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

There seems like so many great books on this list.

I don't think I've read a book that WASN'T someway related to school since... grade 10? Andrew, when was it that you made everyone read Ishmael? I think that was the last time I read a book without having to.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-09-2009 at 08:40 PM   #59
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Haha, that was Grade 10. Fun times, lol. I think I'm going to reread that over Christmas break for a new perspective on it.

P+P+Z was awesome, although I think I might have enjoyed it more from having read Pride and Prejudice first. Half the fun was figuring out how the author would manipulate the text. I haven't read Sense and Sensibility, so I might have to do that first.
Old 12-09-2009 at 08:59 PM   #60
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
Really? I love reading, and I just could not get into this book. Maybe something a little less depressing for the holiday season. Here is a summary of that book "The road was grey, and it was dark, and they walked on the road."

No offence to people who like that book but thats my opinion, I guess it depends on what style books you like.
Well, all Cormac McCarthy books are kinda the same and have very similar messages. That being said, I enjoyed Blood Meridian a lot more than The Road.